Re: Sam Faulkner: Billy - Ogunquit

Post by Mike »

this kid is the real deal..... to say he is awesome would be a understatement
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Sensational Sam

I saw three of Sam's performances in the week ended 13 July (wed/thu/sun) and was extremely impressed something which is harder and harder for a Billy to do these days as I have seen so many excellent Billys.

There are several little things that I look out for to gauge the acting skills of a Billy:

Firstly whether there is a gap when retrieving the 50p's for his ballet lesson - does he take them both out at the same time or separately and is there a sufficient gap between retrieving the first and second or does he anticipate the request for the second 50p. I know it's only a little thing but minor details like that make a difference. Needless to say Sam passed this test with flying colours!

Secondly when finding his trainers does he search around and pause before saying "found them"? Sam did but he could probably have waited a wee bit longer still.

One line which often seems to get lost is when Mrs W opens the toilet door and Billy says "s..t you can't come in here". Sam's words were loud and clear and the audience reacted accordingly. Nice work Sam.

Finally how emotional are the Letter and Letter (reprise)? For the we'd show I had the best seat in the house (front row centre) which is only inches away from the stage so I could see this perfectly. Sam produced real tears which streamed down his cheek - superb! the second show did not seem to produce tears but it was still emotional and very well done. For the third I was a bit further away but again he appeared to tear up again. Not easy to do but very very effective if one can do it!

The Thursday evening show was pretty special as there were many fans present, several Broadway BETM cast members including Thommie Retter, Trent Kowalik, Tommy Batchelor.
Brianna Frogameni, Annabelle Kemp, and Chicago small boy Mark page, together with the cast of the Portland Players Big Maine event. Sam received a very long standing ovation for his Electricity - apparently for the first time - and it was well and truly deserved since he has a sensational electricity with several aerials and huge leaps across the stage as well as the usual ballet spins and moves.

I have always preferred to see a real teenager play the part of Billy and at 16 Sam May we'll be the oldest I have seen. However he can still sing beautifully, is an excellent actor and awesome dancer - a genuine triple treat. In some ways Sam reminds me a bit of Kylend, Peter M and Trent all of whom were excellent Billys.

I enjoyed the first two shows that I saw from Sam so much that I snuck back again for a third and final one on the Sunday afternoon. Once again he was sensational and he received another standing ovation for Electricity. Although this time it was not from everyone present he still seemed pretty pleased about afterwards.

I certainly hope to see Sam again in some other production one day. Thanks Sam for three stunning performances . So glad you managed to get the part.
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Sam turned in a stunning performance last night. The Dream Ballet was indescribable - the coordination between Sam and Stephen was nigh on perfect - and Stephen looks like the older version of Sam. His singing is (for lack of a better term) endearing - it melts the heart of the theater-goer - and his interpretation of Billy's character is now fully mature. It seems to be a cruel irony that tomorrow will be his final performance as Billy (in Oqunquit, at least) - having come so far and having achieved so much in so few weeks - that it will be a huge loss when the curtain does fall on his marvelous tenure as the Boy Who Wanted to Be a Ballet Dancer.

Sam's elegant Electricity elicited a rousing standing ovation from the audience that last nearly 90 seconds - the longest seen on this run at Ogunquit. The beaming smile of gratitude on his face spoke volumes - anyone who has had the chance to meet Sam after a show is blown over by his modesty and his amazing manners - this young man from Charlotte is going to go very, very far!
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

I saw Sam's first two shows. It is wonderful to hear about how he has grown in the role.
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Post by michaelJ »

kport wrote: Sam's elegant Electricity elicited a rousing standing ovation from the audience that last nearly 90 seconds - the longest seen on this run at Ogunquit.
I haven't seen nearly as many shows as some members here, but this was the loudest and longest Electricity applause and ovation that I have seen in my Billy experiences. It was a wonderful thing to experience, and Sam deserved every second of it. :)
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

another totally awesome performance by Sam.... he well deserved the standing ovation he received at the end of electricity. it was one of the best i have seen. at the stage door i was fortunate enough i talk with sam & his dad and they are really nice humble people.

any other theater or group that is thinking of putting on a production of BETM would be completely lacking of intelligent thinking if they didnt try to get Sam as their star. this is only the beginning for Sam, i'm sure we will hear a lot more from him in the future.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A great photo - and a wonderful sentiment:

http://instagram.com/p/q7w_c6xSgL/?modal=true

Thanks, Sam. You did a fantastic job!
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Post by michaelJ »

At the risk of sounding too much like a balletomane, I have to say: Sam's grand jetes and coupe jete en tournants (horizontal leaps and turning traveling leaps) are among the best I have ever seen a young dancer perform. This includes the many talented dancers from around the world I have seen at two NYC YAGP finals. It's not just what he does in the air - he landed a jump about 4 feet in front of me (first row) and made practically no sound when his foot hit the floor. That doesn't happen by accident. By the way, has anyone mentioned what an incredibly nice young man Sam is? :D He made a great impression on a great many people. Keep it up Sam and hopefully we'll see ya soon!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

michaelJ wrote:At the risk of sounding too much like a balletomane, I have to say: Sam's grand jetes and coupe jete en tournants (horizontal leaps and turning traveling leaps) are among the best I have ever seen a young dancer perform. This includes the many talented dancers from around the world I have seen at two NYC YAGP finals. It's not just what he does in the air - he landed a jump about 4 feet in front of me (first row) and made practically no sound when his foot hit the floor. That doesn't happen by accident. By the way, has anyone mentioned what an incredibly nice young man Sam is? :D He made a great impression on a great many people. Keep it up Sam and hopefully we'll see ya soon!
I had the insignificant job of supervising the area where Billy would make his final costume change after saying goodbye to Michael. Sam would always - always - take a moment to thank me for that - at a moment when he was focused on the Finale. He did not need to.

He is an outstanding young man. He will go far in whatever venture he decides to pursue. Of that, I have no doubt.
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Post by michaelJ »

Here's a picture, albeit a little fuzzy, of Sam meeting President Bush. It is on the Broadway Dreams Foundation's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BroadwayDreams ... nt_count=1

Sam is taking part in the BDF summer tour (with a little break to do that Billy thing).

http://instagram.com/p/oYk7LoRSgx/

Return to “Cast Members - Past Regional Productions”