June 2009 - UK Reviews

Todd
Dad

Re: June 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by Todd »

I too was at the Saturday night show that Nikkie-Nikkie was at so I won't bother adding my own, as I agree with everything she said.

I will, though, add my review for tonight's show:

Monday, June 8
Billy - Tom Holland
Michael - Jake Pratt
Tony - Tim Funnell
George - Phil Snowden
All other main cast were regulars

This was my first time seeing Tom as Billy, although I had seen him play Michael last summer when I was here and he had just started in the show. He kind of reminded me of a younger Trent Kowalik (even though I never actually saw Trent in his early days in the London show !). I would have to say that I can't remember a better pure acting performance by any of the Billys I've seen than what Tom delivered tonight. He was totally in character the whole time and seemed to make every facial expression and every gesture fit the situation. He seemed very relaxed - almost like he was just playing himself - which I guess is one of the signs of a great actor . . . . that he makes it look effortless.

His dancing and singing were also very fine. I never have seen an "Electricity" quite like his as it was sort of a combination of street and ballet. The music also seemed a little different. He punctuated it with shouts every now and then, and ended with one too - as if to say, "Yeah ! I did it !" He stayed in the finish position for quite awhile, soaking up the well-deserved applause.

It was a very receptive audience, as they laughed at lines that many audiences don't. The couple next to me was seeing the show for the first time. They seemed a little taken aback when I told them beforehand that I had seen it "several times." At the interval, the lady leaned over towards me and said, "This is incredible." At the end of the show, they were both sold on it, and the lady's parting words to me were, "Now I can see why you would want to see this again and again."

There were a few new parts I never had seen before: the line during Express Yourself when Billy says, "Michael - the dresses are dancing !" and Michael comes back with his funny reply. Another new one for me was at the beginning of the audition scene when the lady's voice says, "Please clear the stage. The auditions are about to commence." One of the stage hands who's sweeping the snow off the stage looks up towards where the voice is coming from and gives a "if looks could kill" scowl, which the audience got a big laugh from. And finally, I was glad to see one of my favorite lines from the movie added to the show, when Billy begins doing some dance moves before the audition and his dad says, "Is that absolutely necessary?"

Afterwards, the entire cast gathered in the lobby for a short party of refreshments and conversation. After awhile, the child cast was whisked out the front door and into the Billy van. On Saturday, the child - and adult - cast made a hasty get-away, causing the rather large crowd of people who had gathered by the stage door with programs to sign and pictures to take to scatter somewhat disappointedly. Shame that they can't come up with something like they do in New York after shows to allow the fans a brief moment to show their gratitude to the cast for an excellent night of entertainment.
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

Todd wrote:Monday, June 8
All other main cast were regulars
Can't add much to Todd's review. Other than the fact it was Gillian Kirkpatrick on as Mrs Wilkinson. She was my first Mrs W nearly four years ago and I really like her different, less harsh portrayal of the role.

The ensemble was very depleted; obviously, Tim, Phil and Gillian were covering principal roles. Romy Baskerville and Neil Reynolds were not in the ensemble leaving Deborah Bundy to swing for both Gillian and Romy. The only other female ensemble member was the person playing Lesley, not sure if it was Rhona or Sorrell. One thing I noticed was that the RBS audition pannel was reduced to three people because of the shortage on the ensemble.

A good show with a very receptive audience.
"In everything you do, always be yourself"
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Todd wrote:There were a few new parts I never had seen before: the line during Express Yourself when Billy says, "Michael - the dresses are dancing !" and Michael comes back with his funny reply.
I think Michael comes back with "You should see what my underpants can do"

Great reviews everybody. Well done.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 11th June

Fox, George, Annabelle
Dad: David B
Mrs. W: Kate replaced by Gillian at The Letter
Tony: Tim Funnell

Yet another SuperFox show aided and abetted by masterclasses from George and Annabelle. It was a privilege to be in the audience to see these three who are so magical together that they could turn a bed of nettles into a bouquet of roses. Extraordinary that these youngsters can deliver performances like this day after day, week after week with such enthusiasm and skill. I could watch it all day.

As often as I've seen Fox's Electricity (22 times to date) it still makes me gasp in total awe but when it is only a few yards from your eyes the power of it leaves you breathless yet he still has the energy left to execute a soaring wall flip. No wonder the crowd roared its appreciation and the smile came in less than 12 seconds and the roar continued for at least another 180 seconds.

Barnaby and Fox danced a perfect Swan Lake. If Industrial Light and Magic were asked to design a CGI version of it they wouldn't even come close to replicating the beauty of it.

It was quite a surprise when Gillian came on for Kate in The Letter as I hadn't noticed anything amiss. It must be difficult to just take on a major role so quickly with little or no time to prepare but she was brilliant throughout. If Kate is unwell here's hoping she recovers quickly. We can't possibly have BETM without that beautiful voice.

Deep into the Ground is a quaint little folk song which has been greatly enhanced by Sean Kingsley's accordion. In fact, there is a really beautiful golden moment near the beginning when Dad is singing, Sean is playing and Grandma suddenly stands up from her chair. All that's missing is the Dark, Dark Hills themselves but you can always use your imagination.

In the RBS audition scene Fox's tape was really unwound but he has become such an expert with the pencil that he had the five yards of tape rewound almost before Anthony Whiteman had sat back down on his chair. I nearly died laughing at the smile on Fox's face when Audiotape man took the tape and threw his hilarious body shapes. Watch out for that next time you see Fox. Another one to watch out for is Fox's wide-eyed facial expressions in the Toilet Scene when Debbie makes him her offer.

Tim seems to have got quite a few opportunities to play Tony again over the past while and he is making the most of it with powerful performances.

The sound was back to normal again, crisp and clear after last week's slight aberrations.

Standing ovations at the end and enthusiastic complimentary comments all around from an appreciative audience are like music to the ears. Long may this great show continue.

Pat
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

Another great review, I'm amazed you find something different to say every week!
Charlotte x
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Wonderful descriptive powers Pat! I particularly liked this:

these three who are so magical together that they could turn a bed of nettles into a bouquet of roses.

I think I will hire them to dance in my garden!
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

I don't know what's better now, BETM or patc's reviews :mrgreen:
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

pexcornel wrote:I don't know what's better now, BETM or patc's reviews :mrgreen:
Well, thanks for all your kind comments and pm's but it's a no-contest. There would be no reviews at all if it wasn't for the inspirational and overpowering nature of the life-changing experience that BETM and its amazing cast is.

Reviews lately have been very scarce. I love to read all reviews however presented so, in the words of Mr. Eddie Cochran, "Come on Everybody" (and especially him who was there Thursday evening to see certain new cast members :D )

Pat
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Fantastic review, as always :) I can't believe you have seen Fox 22 times! That's crazy...but amazing - i'm so jealous :roll: :L
x
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, Den, I knew you'd come through. :D Great review and now can't wait to see Connor and Francesca.

Pat

Return to “Reviews Archive”