June 2009 - UK Reviews

sleepylins
Ballet Girl

Re: June 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by sleepylins »

What a unique experience hope the boys are ok,maybe Tanner has got back just in time. :)
Hope you are both ok soon and its nothing serious. :D
Billy:-
Coreyx5, Samx1, Josh.Fx8, Trentx5, Laytonx7, Hoganx2, Fox x10, Tomx10, Tannerx6, Bradx5,Olliex6,Deanx5,Rhysx4,Aaronx2,Scottx2,Josh.Bx0,Ryanx1, Adamx0
Michael:-
Laytonx1, Shaunx14 1/5, Jontyx10 4/5, Danielx4, Lewisx9, Deanx4, Georgex5 , Jakex10, Connor.Dx3,Connor.Kx12, Joex3,Reecex2,Connor.Lx1
Debbie:-
Leighx1, Leycix6, Amyx7, Scarlettx15, Meganx6, Aliciax6, Annabellex6, Fleurx11,Francescax12,Emily.Sx8, Emily.Wx1
79 WONDERFUL SHOWS
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Oh my goodness - I always thought there was only one back up Billy at the theatre. Maybe it was just pure luck that Tom was there as well.
Hope Ollie and Brad are ok and recovering well.
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

I was there last night too. The person with the irritating laugh amused me but only when it looked like Fox was trying not to laugh :lol: A combo of Jake and that laugh, the boy did well not to be in stitches!
It was a welcome return of Fox for me, it seems like it was ages since I last saw him. I felt like his acting has matured somewhat. I can't sing his praises enough. One thing I did note- his voice sounded husky at times. Sounds like he has a bit of a cough
Jake. Well, well, well. One word. Hilarious. Absolutely brilliant. I can't believe he's only been in it a few weeks. He's very natural, it seemed like he wasn't acting. If I ever met him I would fully expect him to have that personality!
Fleur was also very confident. I don't know how these kids do it. She seemed a cross between Annabelle and Scarlet. Very good!

I have noticed in reviews lately that the understudies have been on a lot. I wonder why? Is it holiday time?!
Charlotte x
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Den and bubsycm for the reviews.

106 shows for Fox - wow. It would seem that the company have another star in Jake. How was Fleur as I was so impressed with her when she made her debut?

Now where is patc? My usual breakfast reading is his review of the Thursday matinee with the LOTSW gang.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

It was originally to be two Thursday shows this week but a few of us who were in London on Tues/Wed for other events found we had time to seek out tickets for Wed. evening and managed to get seats in Row A (first time for me). The child cast for the three shows were:

Wed. Evening: Tom, Connor, Francesca
Thurs Matinee: Ollie, Connor, Francesca
Thurs Evening: Fox, Jake, Fleur

The main adult cast changes were the same in all three:
Dad: David
Tony: Tim
Grandma: Romy
George: Phil

It is not easy to distinguish which Ensemble members take over certain roles while the alternates are on. They look a bit different from the programme in their onstage wigs etc. but I think that the Scab was played by Craig Armstrong, Deborah Bundy and, possibly, Sorelle Marsh played the RBS Receptionist and Joel Montague played Pencil Man in one of the shows at least. Any help on these roles would be appreciated as the Ensemble group as a whole is fantastic.

Wed. evening was my first time to see Connor and Francesca in action and they certainly left their mark then and on Thursday matinee as well. It would be very hard to convince an audience that these two exciting new talents have just started in the show such was their excellence. Both of them have their own distinctive styles but rather than attempt to describe them I'd much rather you went along to see them yourselves. You will be royally entertained. I will mention, though, that Francesca has her own unique manner of dealing with that moment in the show when her mother tells her to "absent herself" when Debbie interrupts her as she is trying to talk to Jackie Elliot in the Snow Scene.

Tom was his usual magnificent self on Wed evening, with major high class acting shooting us up to the clouds one minute and then making us reach for the hankies again in the Letters. His magnificent hybrid Electricity containing what looked like one or two even more new moves moved the crowd to applaud before the finish although he didn't do the wallflip. As he also didn't flip off the piano it may have been that, following the tri-Billy events of Tuesday evening he was not allowed to, just in case. A huge and hugely involved audience let him know at the end that they had just witnessed something really special.

On Thursday matinee Ollie performed also in front of a huge and hugely involved audience including hordes of his schoolmates. I gleaned this from his Dad who was seated a couple of rows in front of me. The crackling atmosphere created by these wonderful youngsters even before the show began was the signal for Ollie and the cast to positively bounce onto the stage and let rip from the word go. Everything was cheered to the rafters. I doubt there has ever been a better crowd and we've seen some on Thursday mats. Ollie had a "bit of a throat" that precluded him from including some of the screams in Angry Dance but he made up for it by rocking the theatre to its very foundations with his feet. There was no way Ollie was going to let anyone down. It was a remarkable professional performance being able to fine-tune the power of his voice throughout to allow for the throat and yet deliver a show to remember.

Thursday evening it was the turn of SuperFox and a third huge and hugely involved audience in a row. As Den has mentioned this was Fox's 106th so I've been extremely fortunate to see nearly a quarter of them. More absolutely astonishing stuff from the great star himself. Electricity produced gasp after gasp from the crowd. Some months ago Fox's Dad told me the gymnastic name of that extraordinary midair twist that I described then as a "3-Dimensional S shape". Naturally, not having written it down, I had forgotten it by the time I got home. Last night I had an opportunity to ask him again and this time I wrote it down. It is called Kick the Moon - how appropriate is that!!! The trademark smile, as usual, just racked the audience up another ten notches.They just loved it and wanted more. It is a unique golden moment when audience and star fuse together and is hugely emotional to watch.
This was the first time I had seen Jake since his debut night and what a surprise was in store. Den and bubsycm have most adequately described his performance. I will just add, see him soon!!
I absolutely concur with the comments on the wonderful little Fleur as Debbie. Amazing how they keep finding these amazing children!!

Seeing the three shows together was an ideal opportunity to see many of the new Ballet girls in action and I can tell you that the company has found another group to continue the long tradition of talented performers needed to propel the show along. I think that some of us sometimes take them for granted but, when you actually study exactly how much is going on in Shine and Solidarity in particular, it is a marathon effort that must take lots of practice and hard work to accomplish. I'm sure that they are delighted to play a big part in the Finale where they can show their real dancing talents. Someone has said that they also perform the Dancing Dresses which was definitely news to me as there seemed to be always a deliberate air of mystery as to who did that.

No review is complete without mention of the Dream Sequence/Swan Lake. Watching three of them in 24 hours with Barnaby in combination with Tom, Ollie and Fox is incredible value for money all by themselves.

The orchestrations won a Tony for BETM in New York. Although the London show has fewer players in the orchestra the orchestrations also deserve an award. One of my own personal delights is to watch a pianist performing close up and in BETM there are some beautiful little piano gems to hear during the show. On Wed. evening from my first time Row A9 seat it was possible to watch, out of the corner of my eye, the MD play those gems. As his fingers glided over the keys it was magical to be able to watch as well as hear what is the musical equivalent of the scent of freshly ground coffee wafting past your nostrils. Whilst on the subject of the music it is interesting to note that when the Miners are on the lift in Once We Were Kings Matt stands up to conduct whereas Chris doesn't.

Over the three shows there would have been more than 4,000 people in attendance. They will, undoubtedly, tell at least 10 friends each about the incredible entertainment they got and, so, another 40,000 or so more will be heading soon in the direction of Victoria.

Thanks to the wonderful Kate for stopping for an after-show chat last night at such a late hour and after having done two incredible shows.

Thanks also to the Dads of Fox (Thurs. night), Jonathan (new Tall Boy) and Elliot (Small Boy) (Wed. night) for their much-appreciated kindness at the stage door and I have sent the photos to the Gallery Moderator for inclusion in the Gallery. BTW, the Fox photos were actually taken by Den with my camera which just happened to be still in my pocket from the previous days event.

Finally, a big thanks to all the front of house staff at the VPT who make every visit a real pleasure.

The old adage that you can't buy happiness is not strictly true. The happiness gained from three hours of BETM plus the many other hours on a high after each show can be bought from a mere £25 up.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Great review Pat. 3 wonderful show - you lucky man. It would seem that the Billy people have got another couple of stars in Connor and Francesca. Can't wait to see them.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

23rd June

Tom
George
Anabelle

I took in last night’s performance after quite a break from the show.

Tom continues to amaze me in terms of not just his stellar acting but also his all round strength. His ability to control the waterworks (his and the audience’s) is something I have never seen achieved before. I also really enjoy his many off-mic additions to the script!

George has really cracked the comic timing I think. He (and Tom) read the audience superbly last night, with George getting some additional really difficult laughs at the most subtle of whimpers and groans. Audiences I think are rather like those science museum ball games where you have to keep them up aloft with just air flow. It takes careful practice to keep it there and one small mis-timing and you have to start all over again. The ball stayed firmly up there during the key scenes last night. Well done George!

Rows A and B (and a few boxes) seemed to be brimming with ballet girl team supporters last night who erupted in giggle fits at numerous points during Shine. Meanwhile the finger birds, policemen’s helmets and ballet shoes were really flying. I think Anabelle completed most of the finale with one shoe.

Special mention goes to two new cast members I have not seen before. Firstly Small Boy, who was chaperoned around stage by the cast on what must have been a first night. After he was fished out from under the curtain I noticed he was looking worried and was in deep dialogue with the ensemble member who carries him back while looking at the curtain being dragged away. He'd evidently lost his lollipop somewhere under there! The situation was resolved when he was sitting back on another ensemble’s lap who calmed the young chap, whipping out a back-up lollipop and bringing a huge smile to his face. While his “Oh Jesus” lines were quiet and considered, the parting insult was loud and straight between Phil’s eyes!

Also a new Tall Boy for me, Jonathon, who gave the most sarcastic then sympathetic comfort I’ve heard in some time to Billy after the audition . It didn’t mitigate the vicious beating though….

So, if anyone goes to the show tomorrow, if you see a very large looking stick-insect caught in the Pathe news reel…you know!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Great review jamie.r. Thanks.

JohnH
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by JohnH »

Thanks for the review jamie.r
gee
Small Boy

Post by gee »

Hi, This wont be a proper review as i am not very good with them or with the pc but here goes.... Wed 24th Tanner - Jake - and Flure, First surprise was to see Tanner on the board, so this was is first show since returning from Broadway, i have seen tanner a few times but last night that was his best performance i have seen from him just as you think he cant get better, his pirouettes spins etc were done with such speed. the theatre was near to a full house, and the whole theatre were on there feet at the end which doesnt always happen not from the whole theatre and not during mid week performances. His Electricity was 100% as was all his routines, and it was clearly hot on stage for him and the rest of the cast, they must have been shattered by the end but they didnt show it. Just one last bit about Tanner, his angry dance was great, again the best i have seen from him, but when he runs and then slides along the stage to pick up the bits of floor to throw, he just managed to stop sliding before ending up head first on md's lap, i think tanner was a bit shocked with that aswell as he sneeked a relief smile to the md. but this proberly only noticed by those at the front.
This was also my first time seeing Jake, when he came on i thought i was seeing the return of Brad Kavanagh, what a likeness. and what a michael that the production of found in him, and again he gave a brilliant performance, he is a bit shiorter than tanner and this noticed when he had to stretch up to billy for the kiss in the winter scene, but they worked really well together. At the end of express when michael stands at the wings taking in the last of the applause, he looked down and his glasses fell of due to sweating etc, but he casually picked them up on put them back on all in time with the music. what a pro. Talking of pro's it was also the first time for me to see Flure as Debbie and again what a great find by the production, i really like her Debbie. Well i wasnt going to say much, i just wanted to let you guys know that Tanner is back and on top form, but i seemed to have got carried away, so i finish by saying, welcome back Tanner, and thankyou and all the cast for yet another fantastic night of entertainment, sorry its a bit jumbled and not a full review, but hopefully you can understand it. Gee

Return to “Reviews Archive”