June 2009 Reviews - NYC

Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Re: JUNE REVIEWS US

Post by Rich B »

Great review, Sean! and good seeing you last Saturday at the Edison Cafe gathering!
angelenroute wrote:So when I don't say enough about Trent, it's because I can't say enough so much that I don't say enough. ;) To me, that sentence makes sense. LOL
and you're a proofreader ?????? :o :o :o :o ;)

Cheers,
Rich
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I wish you would go to the show more often Sean as I love reading your reviews.

Great job - well done.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

That was a great review, Sean! Thanks so much. And just want to say it was lovely seeing you again last Saturday. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Rich B wrote:Great review, Sean! and good seeing you last Saturday at the Edison Cafe gathering!
angelenroute wrote:So when I don't say enough about Trent, it's because I can't say enough so much that I don't say enough. ;) To me, that sentence makes sense. LOL
and you're a proofreader ?????? :o :o :o :o ;)

Cheers,
Rich
I definitely rushed my review and found a couple of funny errors this morning now which I just corrected. Any other errors can stay in--keeps me balanced by reminding myself I'm not perfect and never will be. =) I stand by that weirdly structured sentence above though--I like that one. =)

And get this all: I had a CRAZY dream last night that I was pushed back in time to a Forum Gathering in 2005 in London, although in my dream the scene/smoke in the room/clothing seemed more 1984ish interestingly. Lots of Billys, Michaels, Tall/Small Boys and Ballet Girls in attendance though they were all just children and none were known stars past or present.

And in the dream I actually told some of the Forum members there (Billy Whiz and ERinVA you were both there but looked different) that I was from the future in 2009. The Forum members who I told believed me and I wanted to tell them about my future world and what would happen (like America's first black President) but then told them that I better not say anything more because telling them things would happen might change the things from happening. Very crazy but cool dream!!! =)

Sean
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

angelenroute wrote:
As for the more figurative sense, and maybe some of you have had shows like this...I found myself not fully enveloped in the story because I was directing the show in my head.
I do this quite often. It annoys me when I do it! Like I'm preparing for the next line and I also go through what songs/scenes are left to perform... :roll:
angelenroute wrote: At intermission, I had a rum and diet coke. Just thought you should know.
My favourite part of the review! :lol:
Charlotte x
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

angelenroute wrote:One of my other friends was blown away by the show too but I haven't spoken to him since last night when he left earlier to catch a different train back to Long Island. But at 2 AM on his Facebook this morning, I saw he posted: "Billy Elliot? One word: AWESOMETASTIC!" So I think that shares a bit of their enthusiasm. =)
Mr. Awesometastic, my friend Michael (yes, Michael haha) had posted his Top 5 Broadway shows of all time a few weeks back, and he's been a huge fan of Les Mis as long as I've known him. After that he had four other great shows. Well, he just posted a REVISED TOP 5 and here was his post:

REVISED!... Billy Elliot skyrockets to my #2 favorite musical of all time!

He kept Les Mis as his favorite, but wow, after just one show he felt Billy deserved that coveted number two spot of all time favorites. He told me earlier today he's going to buy tickets soon to see it again with his niece. =)

Sean
SunsetFan
Audience Member

Post by SunsetFan »

Saturday 20th June Matinee
Well my business trip to New York would not have been complete without catching a Billy performance.
So, leaving a meeting early I managed to make the matinee, this was my first visit since the
opening week in November, and I was interested to see how it was shaping up.
I won’t make this a review, more a few thoughts. One thing that struck me during this performance was just how good the Broadway adult cast are. Now I’m not belittling the child cast they are all first rate. But the adult cast are really, really, good.
Greg as Dad, IS DAD. This is without doubt the best portrayal of Dad that I have seen. I rate Phil Whitchurch in that role, but his crown has just been stolen by Greg. Greg was good last Nov, but he is outstanding now. The Tony award was so well deserved. I don’t mind saying I was in tears during the ‘he could be a star’ scene. That scene works so well in the Broadway production; I hope it comes to London.
Trent was Billy, and again I saw a great performance. He has really settled in to the role since November.
Haydn stole the show last November, now the show has grown round her and it’s harder for here to shine.
The ballet girls are just wonderful as is Grandma, played slightly softer than in London, but it really works.
So just a few thoughts, on what is a very special show.
I note they changed the Billy poster on the east side of time square during the weekend to include ‘the best musical’ slogan – how right they where
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Glad to hear you feel the show is holding up. ;) :D I like the B'way version of the show just fine, and like you, I like the different version of "He Could Be a Star," or "He Could Go and He Could Shine," as it's called here. I especially like the part where Billy tries to break up the fight between his brother and his dad. Even though there are differences between the London show and this one, I think both are great!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Thank you, SunsetFan.
I always enjoy reading people's reflections on the shows they've seen.
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

angelenroute wrote:
At intermission, I had a rum and diet coke. Just thought you should know.
I wish I had a penny for every Rum and Coke I've downed in the VPT during interval - and at the Imperial during intermission. :lol: I think I would have a small fortune. :)

Return to “Reviews Archive”