Chat About Malmö (2016) & Stockholm, Sweden, 02/20-06/11/17

thm
Miner

Re:  Malmö & Stockholm, Sweden

Post by thm »

Miles Horare, who played Older Billy in Copenhagen posted this picture of one of the swedish Billys, he obviously is teaching.https://instagram.com/p/9cDVu9g-QL/
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I got this error message all the time.
After I select my seat I immediately click on next, no waiting or anything, but still, it says my session has expired.
---
István
Billy123
Tall Boy

Post by Billy123 »

Photo of the Billys and Michaels.
https://instagram.com/p/9jmoAVxRHc/
Billy123
Tall Boy

Post by Billy123 »

I found this article about the rehearsal.

http://vlt.se/kulturnoje/ttkultur/1.323 ... t-tar-form
Swedish 'Billy Elliot' takes shape

Choreographer Miles Hoare from London is standing in front of the huge mirror wall at Base 23's dance halls in Stockholm and instructs six boys aged 10 to 14 who play Billy and Michael in the Swedish version of the musical "Billy Elliot". Today's second rehearsal of the dance number "Expressing yourself" is about to start.

In English, with a distinct British accent, Miles asks the six actors which three things they should think about in this number. Grim Lohman raise his hands and answer simultaneously:

- Lipstick, plie, Olé! - Exactly !, exclaims Miles and demonstrate the movements that the words to convey.

Coaching each other

The scene belongs to Billy's best friend Michael who loves to wear his sister's clothes and now he wants to dedicate Billy lipstick and rougets pink shimmering world. But Billy is not as convinced. In front of the mirror the protagonists move for Roine Söderlundh's choreography. The dance number has elements of modern dance, ballet, humor - and a somersault.

Billy is played by Jacob Hermansson, Grim Lohman and Oliver Lohk while the role of best friend Michael made by Carl Sjögren, Uno Elger and David FridHolm. They share the workload because the roles are difficult, and for that you should have replacement if someone gets sick.

- It is a very intelligent group, they learn everything I say directly and coach each other, said Miles Hoare after the rehearsal.

Strong story

The story of the young Billy growing up with his father, grandmother and brother in a vulnerable mining community and dreams of ballet has touched many and the musical was first up on the West End of London and later on Broadway in New York and in Australia.

For the Swedish interpretation the director is Ronny Danielsson.

- I also grew up in the working class without any input to cultural networks as Billy Elliot's story is mine and many others in the industry who have made such a trip. Though the strength of the story is that you should accept people as they are, and it feels important position now when there is so much non-acceptance in society, says Ronny Danielsson.
The musical will be played out in a single place that gathers all the scenes; a gymnasium with two floors and an elevator that takes miners down below the earth. A sort of Roy Andersson aesthetic that stands for the realistic elements. The Swedish version gives more space to the dreamy sequences where music, dance and song breaks the grey everyday life through a rear wall.

Can identify with Billy

Around 150 boys auditioned for the roles of Billy and Michael, and now there are only six left. For several months they have been practicing in tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, acrobatics and singing in "Billy Elliot" school of dance school Base 23. In front of them is now even more dancing, script reading and rehearsals with the rest of the ensemble which, among others, Marianne Mörck Åsa Fång and Rasmus Mononen makes the adult roles.

The boys have different experiences and backgrounds, some have never danced or even been on stage before, while others are veterans with productions like "Priscilla" and "Evita" on their CV. They have also faced prejudice, just like Billy.

- When you say we dance ballet, some thinks that it is corny and that one is gay, so there are many prejudices, says Carl Sjögren. - But why would you not want to learn ballet? It's super cool, and difficult, but really cool, says Oliver Lohk.
"Billy Elliot" will premiere at the Malmö Opera February 13 next year. A year later, at Stockholm City Theatre.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Darth_Revan wrote:I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I got this error message all the time.
After I select my seat I immediately click on next, no waiting or anything, but still, it says my session has expired.
At first, I couldn't book online, obviously due to insufficient server capacity. I mailed the box office and they reserved the seat for collection. Later I tried again without any problems. Did you try again?
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

thm wrote: At first, I couldn't book online, obviously due to insufficient server capacity. I mailed the box office and they reserved the seat for collection. Later I tried again without any problems. Did you try again?
I was trying for quite some time, but did not work.
I tried it today and no problem :)
---
István
Billy123
Tall Boy

Post by Billy123 »

The cast has been updated.

Billy: Jacob Hermansson, Grim Lohman, Oliver Lohk.
Michael David Fridholm, Carl Sjögren, Uno Elger
Debbie: NN
Dad: Lars Väringer
Mrs. Wilkinsson: Åsa Fång
Grandma: Marianne Mörck
Tony Elliot: Rasmus Mononen
Dead mother: Nina Norblad
Mr. Braithwaite: Michael Jansson
George: Erik Gullbransson
Big Davey: Johan Wikström
Adult Billy: Robert Thomsen / Paul James Rooney
Tall boy: Casper Maga, Max Ivarsson, Bill Hallberg
Posh Boy: André Persson Ginter, Charles Elofsson, Felix Dahlgren
Small boy: Bruno Stone Heuman, Simon Isgar, Oliver Palm

http://www.malmoopera.se/forestallningar/billy-elliot
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

On the Malmö Opera webpage is also a video about the training of the Billys and Michaels who introduce themselves.
Here's the direct youtube link:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WfUdK8HA50M
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The costume department for the Malmö BETM production is gearing up...

https://twitter.com/HistoryBunker/statu ... 00/photo/1
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

If you go to Sweden or drive through Denmark from Germany, be aware that there now will be border control. So don't forget your passports.

Return to “ Chat About Malmö & Stockholm, Sweden”