Site Moderator

Re: May 2015 reviews - London

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Saturday May 9 (evening)

Billy - Bradley
Michael - Tomi
Debbie - Demi
Tony - Chris Jenkins

I saw Bradley during my visit one year ago and really enjoyed his performance. I was hoping he would still be around for this year's visit, and was happy to see his name on the board. He has grown a bit, but not too much. The elements about him from last year that I liked are still there, but he has continued to develop and enhance his character.

SOLIDARITY - Bradley showed great form in 'pick up the biscuit' (memories of Kiril Kulish) along with a perfect finish.

LETTER - Bradley is especially good at looking sad or emotional.

ANGRY DANCE - Wow! Partial standing ovation at the end.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MAGGIE THATCHER - I enjoy watching Tomi off to the side during this. He is so lively and animated.

He Could be a Star - Chris J (Tony) was starting to sound hoarse through all of Act II. I don't think most people would have noticed. In fact it actually made him seem more passionate during this scene.

ELECTRICITY - Wow, wow, OMG! I am not usually a big fan of the street versions I've seen in the past. Bradley's version has changed since a year ago. More ballet moves are now incorporated, plus he does the board flip at the end. There was a standing ovation from about half of the audience.

Most Billys only last about a year. The London show is quite fortunate to have had Bradley on board for a year and a half now!
I should also note that Demi is quite an excellent Debbie in every way.
--Chris
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

This is my first opportunity to sit down to make comments about my "Billy" weekend. I note that a number of people have already posted reviews, so I will confine myself to a few general remarks.

Friday evening - Wow!

Saturday matinee - Wow!

Saturday evening - Wow!

Seriously, though, having seen Brodie, Ollie and Bradley before, I thought I knew what to expect. I was wrong. All three boys have matured and made progress in different ways, and have learned how to handle an audience and how to cope with the unexpected. All three gave stunning performances in the big numbers and were beautifully supported by this wonderful cast. It was a wonderful series of shows.

At the Saturday matinee, I was sitting next to a delightful young American woman who was so thrilled to be there. Apparently she had seen "The Impossible" some months ago and was so impressed by Tom Holland that she had researched his previous work. And we all know where that led her! She is studying in England at the moment and knew that she would have to go to the VPT. That's how she ended up sitting next to me, comparing our "Billy" experiences. I was so pleased that Ollie gave a stellar performance to give her a theatrical treat I am sure she will remember for the rest of her life. At the end, she said it was "beyond awesome". She was right.

I will not be able to be at the 10th Anniversary performance. I have known for some time that my sister would be in hospital for a major operation on the 12th May, and I am looking after her dog. So to everyone who has got one of the very few tickets available to the general public, have a wonderful evening, give a few cheers from me, take lots of photos to post on this forum, and just realise how lucky you are!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Tuesday May 12 - 10th Anniversary Show!

Billy (in order of appearance) - Ollie,Brodie,Matteo,Bradley,Thomas,Elliott
Michael - Todd
Debbie - Kyria

(Hopefully I captured all of this correctly. Feel free to let me know if I missed something.)

Stephen Daldry and Lee Hall both spoke before Opening Curtain of today's final performance. Both thanked a number of the important folks who have made the show possible. Stephen brought up the six new Billys for the Holland production. He did not name them. They were all wearing while BILLY t-shirts that we have seen when other new Billys make their appearance. Lee spoke about how the inspiration for the musical came from Elton John seeing the movie and thanked Elton for insisting they create the show.

Stephen then explained that this would be a tag-team show, and mentioned the four current Billys by name, and that they would be assisted by two recent Billys: Elliott and Matteo.

Most of the transitions from one Billy to the next were done in front of the audience. A new Billy would emerge and take the place of the one who was already there. Those of us fans who saw the final Broadway show were expecting something much the same. Actually it was quite different, but with very similar concepts. A few of the transitions from the Broadway show that I thought were especially brilliant, I missed tonight. However there quite a few more transitions that were even more brilliant! It was fantastic to see how they divided up the show among the six Billys. Each had at least one major dance number, except for Thomas who did not dance at all.

This is the order of appearances that I noted when each of the Billys came in:

-opening: Ollie (through SHINE),
-Boxing scene: Ollie is still the main Billy, but 4 more Billys enter with Michael, Tall Boy, and Small Boy to participate in the press-ups. (I believe Thomas was missing.) Finally George has a full boxing class!

-Shadow dance: Brodie takes over, through Grandma's song, into first part of SOLIDARITY.
-"Oi Rudolf Nureyev": Matteo takes over and gives a fantastic finish to the number!

-EXPRESS: Matteo starts the number. At the SHOES line, Bradley enters, already in his tap shoes, and takes over. Billy wins the shoe change.

-After the Crowbar scene, when Billy sits on the bed and Mrs. W. says "I thought you weren't going to show", Thomas enters next to the bed. Bradley whispers (loudly) to Thomas "I had to wait for my dad to go out", as if giving him a cue, then Thomas repeats the line to Mrs. W. This was brilliant, and received lots of applause!

-LETTER: Thomas
After the Letter when Mr Braithewaite enters, Ollie came from the side saying "what's he doing here" pointing at Thomas. The line is usually meant for what's Mr Braithewaite doing here. Thomas exits.
-Born to Boogie: Ollie,

-The scene before ANGRY DANCE: when Billy says to Tony "I'll be right back", Ollie goes out the door and then in comes Bradley. Bradley starts the number. He doesn't crawl into the hole in the floor, but stands to the side. When the hut rises from the floor, Elliott is inside kicking the walls. Bradley and Elliott dance together for a bit then Bradley exits. Elliott finishes the number. Standing ovation!

During the interval the house staff gave everyone a free small bottle of Prosecco champagne. :D

-Maggie Thatcher: Elliott is still Billy.
-Deep into the Ground: Ollie enters to finish Dad's song (actually it was a duet between Elliott and Ollie).
Elliott exits. Ollie does the tutu scene with Todd.

-Dream Ballet: Ollie appears to be starting the number by moving the chair into position. Bradley enters, takes off his denim jacket, hands it to Ollie, and perfoms the number. Awesome!

-Transition to Royal Ballet auditions: still Bradley at first. When the curtain rises and the audition lady asks who he is, Bradley steps away and Brodie enters, responding 'Billy, Billy Elliot'.

-ELECTRICITY: Brodie, he was superb and flawless. Standing ovation!

-"POST": After Brodie crosses the stage and eats a cookie, Matteo enters. He takes a cookie from Brodie, the looks at the envelope. He reads "William Elliot is queer?", then looks over at Brodie. Brodie has a big grin, gives a thumbs up, then runs off. Huge laughter here! Matteo finishes the show (through Letter Reprise and goodbye kiss to Michael).

-At the first bow, when Billy is called back to the stage, Matteo returns. Then Ollie enters and takes over for the start of Company Celebration. Ollie is soon joined by Matteo and Elliott, each of the three dancing in his own spotlight. Brodie and Bradley enter with Dad and Tony. Thomas did the bows with Mum, Older Billy, and Mrs. W.

As the whole company was back on stage, dozens and dozens of Ballet Girls came down the aisles. They were dancing in the aisles and along the front of the stage. I believe this was a mix of current and former BGs.

All of the Michaels, Debbies, Small and Tall Boys bowed as a group. Then the couple dozen former Billys were brought on stage to bow as well. There was no special mash-up with former Billys, but by this time we had all had seen quite enough brilliance. What an evening!!! :D
--Chris
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Great review, Chris! How you managed to remember all the changes is impressive!

Did the audience received 10th Anniversary buttons, like the ones given at the 9th?
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

kport wrote:Great review, Chris! How you managed to remember all the changes is impressive!

Thanks Kport. I took notes, but sometimes have trouble reading my own handwriting. ;)
kport wrote: Did the audience received 10th Anniversary buttons, like the ones given at the 9th?

Yes we did. Buttons were handed to everyone as we entered the theatre. They look like this:
https://instagram.com/p/2kq7mbRH7v/
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Updated my review of the anniversary show to add a few more details on The Letter -> B2B and Angry Dance.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Thanks for the wonderful review Chris. Sounds like it was an amazing show.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks, Chris. I'm glad you kept up with the transitions for us! It was a great show, wasn't it? :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

It was absolutely fantastic! I guess this is what keeps us coming back over and over! Good also to reconnect with so many friends from the past.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you Chris and Katwoman for the wonderful reviews.

Katwoman. I hope your sister has recovered from her operation.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews - London”