Forum Founder

March 2009 UK

Post by JohnH »

Post your March reviews here.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: March 2009

Post by patc »

Thursday matinee 12th March. (last week)

Tanner was on with Lewis and Scarlet and this trio put on what can only be described as a breathtaking show. I have no doubt that Tanner will go down in Billy history as a legend. Every second he is on stage is mindboggling. He is the absolutely perfect Billy Elliot. His dancing is so powerful yet graceful and he is in complete control. It is all done in a progressive way (as it would be in reality) beginning with the first glimpses in early dancing lessons followed by the wind-turbine-like high-powered spin across the stage in Solidarity with the final pirouettes that finish off that scene just before Dad storms in confirming the earlier promise. The mood changes with the most powerful of Angry Dances that left the huge audience gasping at the interval and probably sold more drinks and ice creams as people sought to calm their frayed nerves. You could hear the buzz around the theatre. Also in Part 1 the Letter was so heartbreaking with Tanner's still-perfect singing voice and the wonderful Kate Graham as Mrs. W becoming aware of both the sadness in her star pupil as well as a recognition of her responsibilities towards him and his future.

The next part of Billy's dancing development is in Swan Lake, always and ever my favourite scene. In the (very rare) absence of Barnaby, Older Billy was danced by newcomer Shaun Walters.
The sheer majestic wonder of Tanner's Electricity just leaves me an emotional wreck yet I could watch it all day. There is another aspect to this that crosses my mind every time I see it. At around 5pm Tanner was out there on that stage in London performing Electricity to an ecstatic audience while approximately 3,776 miles away (according to my flight simulator program) his family and friends are going about their normal daily routines.

As often as I have seen Lewis as Michael he was never better than in yesterday's show. Him and Tanner in Expressing is a match made in heaven. I liken it to Morecambe and Wise and you don't get better than that.

Scarlet as ever but even more so yesterday was her smiling cheeky self throughout. Included in her five-star day was a classic performance right throughout Shine and the early dancing lessons that, in real life, would have driven any Dance teacher insane.

The adult cast and Ensemble rose to the occasion to deliver another truly engaging and dramatic show that will long live in the memory.

There was an amusing (for fans) incident just before Boogie. When Mr. B (Sean Kingsley) pushed in through the doors at the back he sent one half of the door crashing into the chairs/tables. It got stuck in that position with the top hinge broken and the door hanging perilously. As the scene progressed, a hand appeared around the door to test it and straighten it ever so slightly to keep it in an upright position. In the background, through the still-open door, stagehands could be seen laying out the riot shields (for Angry Dance) against the back wall. At the end of Boogie, as the back of the stage darkened, another hand was seen to drag the door closed. Finally, as the back scenery split and moved sideways a stagehand was seen straddling the door and hanging on to it to prevent it from falling off as the movement took place.

Thursday Matinee 19th March

Tanner, George, Megan (replaced by Annabelle in Part 2)
Shaun Henson as Mr. B
Phil Snowden as George

Just when you think you have seen it all!!! Unbelievable. I'm searching for a new word to describe Tanner's performance and will report back when I find it.
George Maycock has already been wooing audiences since his arrival but yesterday he went up another few levels as he let loose in as fine an Expressing as has ever been seen at the VPT and a truly memorable and classic Winter scene that will long live in the memory. Acting of the highest quality.

First time seeing Shaun Henson as Mr. B and he was brilliant. Born to Boogie was hilarious and he has a great dance routine. A must-see.

Not quite as big an audience as we are used to on Thursdays with some gaps in the expensive rows of seats but they sure knew how to appreciate what they saw.

Pat
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

If it's Friday, it must be review time from Pat. :D

Great reviews - I hope to see all 4 Billys next week!

Rich
JohnH
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by JohnH »

Now I know I'm home! A patc review :)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Pat for a great review. Any idea what was the matter with Megan?
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Billy Whiz wrote: Any idea what was the matter with Megan?
No idea at all. There was no announcement unless it was made during the interval when we were out in the Foyer enjoying some much-needed ice cream after Tanner's exhaustion-inducing Angry Dance :) . Debbie doesn't have all that much to do in Part 2, of course, but I only noticed the change when Annabelle came out during the Dad/Mrs. Wilkinson snow scene. I couldn't remember which of them appeared in Maggie Thatcher and I looked out for but didn't see Megan in the Finale.

Pat
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

Thanks for the reviews, i've missed hearing them.
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

JohnH wrote:Now I know I'm home! A patc review :)
Yes, indeed! How wonderful, and not one, but two fabulous reviews! Thank you so much Patc! Great to have you back. Makes me anxious to wind my way back to the VPT!

cheers.
maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
sfo
George

Post by sfo »

great reviews Patc :D
sfo
George

Post by sfo »

great reivew Den, thanks for all the reviews, a great start to the New Review Section :D

Return to “Reviews Archive”