March 2009 UK

clue
Tall Boy

Re: March 2009

Post by clue »

I don't have time for even a quick review but I'll give you a couple of quick words about the show tonight.

Wednesday, 25th March

Billy: Tanner Pflueger
Michael: Dean-Charles Chapman
Debbie: Annabelle Crosby-Stewart

My 2nd time seeing Tanner and he was very good again. I really liked his angry dance tonight.

Dean is a interesting Michael... Partly because he looks a bit younger than Lewis or George. Dean also takes a slightly different route and acheived great results. He was very good tonight.

Another great show ... 3 shows down only 2 more to go ...
Broadway: Trent x4, David x7, Kiril x4, Tommy x4, Tanner x2
London: Tanner x3, Tom, Brad, Fox
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

And I thought they only grew corn in Nebraska. No, they grow dancers, too. What a way to kick off my Billython. 8-) Tanner was outstanding last night and just blew the socks off me. Where do I start? His singing is wonderful, hitting all the high notes perfectly. His diction and projection of his voice was clear and precise. The accent? Well, I'm not from these parts, but I thought it was spot on. Finally, his dancing was incredible highlighted by a stunning Electricity.

Dean-Charles was Michael and he was funny, with a dry wit about him. He and Tanner worked great together. Hard to believe he was my first small boy! :shock:

Rich
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Brad and Dean-Charles did the matinee and Tanner/Lewis was the pairing for last night.

Just a few notes about Brad. My first time seeing him and for me, he exudes so much charm from his character. His singing, dancing, acting were all top notch. I see his Billy as a 'happy' Billy. Watching him makes you leave the theatre with a pronounced spring in your step! :D

(Since this was the Thursday matinee, I'll leave the formal review writing to 'you-know-who') ;)

Rich

PS - Nice meeting you before the show, Nikki. :D
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Rich B wrote:Brad and Dean-Charles did the matinee and Tanner/Lewis was the pairing for last night.

(Since this was the Thursday matinee, I'll leave the formal review writing to 'you-know-who') ;)

Rich
Don't let that stop you writing a review for the evening show though Rich.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 26th March

Brad, Dean-Charles, Annabelle

Mrs. W - Gillian Kirkpatrick

Grandma - Romy Baskerville

Older Billy - Shaun Walters

This was only my third time to see Brad, also only the third time to see Dean-Charles and first time to see both perform together. Together they make a formidable team. It was also a first time to see a CSD :D , more of which later.

Let's start with Brad. Those of us who were there on his brilliant debut night on 1st December were highly impressed and after the show we found out that here was a boy full of confidence in his own ability. By sheer dint of hard work since then he has progressed a ton further in all disciplines as you would expect from someone with determination as well as being multi-talented. An example of his amazing acting ability was in the Letter. As the song progressed you could see his mood changing visibly until he finally broke down. Then, when the vision of Dead Mum (the magnificent Stephanie Putson) appears, the change to delight followed by despair as she disappears again. Later on the goodbye scene with Mrs. W was akin to a last night. Gillian, who was the perfect Mrs. W throughout, certainly opened the taps in response to Brad's "I'll miss you, Miss". So, after all that, you can only imagine what the Letter Reprise was like.

Electricity was pure ballet and enthralling to watch.

In Expressing we got to see how Dean-Charles has come on and he sure showed us. I don't think I ever saw him as Small Boy but I find it so inspiring that, when he left, he had in mind coming back as Michael and he has and with a vengeance. What determination did that take from someone so young and a right good example to all Small Boys. Yes, you can!! Anyway, he had the audience going great guns from the start of the scene and it was towards the end that we got the CSD (Choreographed Shoe Disposal). Brad had been having a bit of trouble with one of his tap shoes and when it came off the second time and got in the way, Dean-Charles decided enough was enough. But, instead of just bending down or and kicking the shoe away, in what was almost a slow motion effect he managed to invent a choreographic movement of his arms that allowed one of them to swoop majestically down to the shoe, scoop it up and cast it in the direction of waiting hands at the side of the stage and all in one smooth movement while he and Brad continued with their routine to the end as if nothing had happened. It was so well done that the audience probably thought it was part of the show.
The Winter scene was both a riot and gentle. The Nutcracker joke was preceeded by the most ear-piercing of screams and subtle pause. It's even funnier when you know what is coming next and hearing the audience reaction. BETM has the best ending of all shows, even better than Carousel. That final curtain with the lonely Michael long lives in the memory and Dean-Charles did it perfectly with total silence from an appreciative audience until the applause erupted around the theatre. (Another big audience you will be glad to hear except that, unusually, Row A was empty and a few seats also vacant in Row B left)

Romy is a fantastic Grandma. I hope everyone gets an opportunity to see her in this role. She fits the part like a glove and is most sprightly, indeed. Sure what else would we expect from the casting people in this show. They only look for the best.

As many times as I've seen the front-of-curtain scene of Act 2 I just love it and can't watch it without laughing out loud every time. Trevor has this happy knack of making every sentence he utters sound funny. On the odd occasion when Trevor is off Phil Snowden is there to ensure more laughs abound. It is the perfect start to the emotional ups and downs of Act 2. After a long series of No. 88 being pulled from the hat Brad gave us "Fowerty Fower".

Swan Lake is so easy on the eye but must require hours and hours of practice to bring to perfection. Barnaby was off yesterday and I would like to congratulate Shaun Walters on his Older Billy.

Annabelle was, well, Annabelle as she has been from her debut, the perfect Debbie.

I think Brad, Dean-Charles and Annabelle are the youngest of the cast in terms of commencement and in that respect the future of the show is rosy. I hope they all will continue on for as long as possible because they provide outstanding entertainment on that stage.
Thanks again to everyone at the VPT for what has become the usual fantastic welcome and show.

It was great to meet up again with some of the visiting US contingent who are enjoying their Billythons plus our new member from Germany. It is always an extra bonus to be at the theatre when lots of Forum members are present.

Pat
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Fantastic reviews :) Lots of Brad love and i haven't heard reviews with him in for a long time, and he's so fantastic, so it was great to hear :)
x
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

March 27, 2009

Fox
Dean-Charles
Annabelle

Another new Billy for me - only need to see Tom to complete the foursome.

Fox is a small Billy but exudes so much energy, he has you worn out just watching him. His 'street' style Electricity is one I've never seen before - much more acrobatics - and difficults ones, too. His flips were incredible and he had me holding my breath as he did no-hand flips. (I lost count on how many he did :o ). He also did the flip off the wall which I haven't seen since Layton did it.

An all-round super job by all and a special nod to the small boy tonight (sorry, don't have his name :oops: ) who was exceptionally funny during the boxing scene and 'MCMT'. :lol:

Rich
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

shadowchaser wrote:I was lucky enough to get a photo and an autograph at his last night as small boy in June 2006. As well as the normal autograph he added "hope to see you again". :D

Thanks for that, shadow, which confirms I didn't see him as Small Boy since I first discovered the show in July 2006.

Pat
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

March 28, 2009 - Matinee
Tom
George
Megan

I booked 7 shows for my Billython, hoping to see all the Billys, Michaels and Debbies and after 5 shows, I'm happy to say 'mission accomplished!' :D

Tom gave a wonderful performance, culminating his Electricity with a perfect backflip off the wall. Like Fox, he's small in size but packs a load of energy and stamina. He worked very well with George and Megan, who put in equally wonderful performances. Great job, guys! :D

The evening show was done by Brad, Dean-Charles and Annebelle. This was Dean-Charles' and Annebelles 4th performance since Wednesday. I think they deserve a rest! :shock:

Rich
wendy
Tall Boy

Post by wendy »

hi there, i am a bit rubbish at reviews but saw fox and dean friday eve,
ive not seen fox before and i think he is a great billy, his electic number was so full of energy(even i needed a rest after that performance :lol: ) i love'd they way his kept a straight face after the routine and then after a few seconds broke out into a massive grin(very sweet). again well done cast, another great performance

Return to “Reviews Archive”