Beautiful: The Carol King Musical

Chat about other shows here
Todd
Dad

Beautiful: The Carol King Musical

Post by Todd »

While in New York last weekend, I saw a performance of "Beautiful: The Carol King Musical." This show had been on my list for awhile of shows I'd like to see "if I have some extra time." The opportunity finally presented itself on March 13, and I'm happy to report that it was not only good, but much better than I even expected it would be. I've always liked Carol King's music and enjoy biographical shows such as "Jersey Boys," so I shouldn't have been all that surprised that I enjoyed it.

For the second time of my three-show weekend, the lead performer was off so I saw the alternate. In both cases I was initially disappointed, but in both cases I thoroughly enjoyed the person I saw. Chilena Kennedy normally plays the part, but I saw Julia Knitel who seemed to be a reincarnation of a young Carol King. She looked and sounded like her, and had a very likeable stage presence that seemed very natural.

I didn't look at the song list in advance, so I enjoyed being surprised a number of times when they would perform a song and I would find myself thinking, "I didn't know Carol King wrote that song." She apparently wrote a number of songs that were made famous by singing groups in the 1960's before she began recording her compositions herself. The supporting actors were all very good as well. I found myself wanting to do more research on her and on the other people who were portrayed in the story, so it's definitely a show that I found interesting.

My only criticism would be that some of the female singers who portrayed members of 1960's girl groups such as The Shirrelles took a few too many liberties trying to make the song their own with a modern pop style of singing. I would have preferred hearing them sung straight without all the extra notes, often sung at very high volume.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”