July 2009 Reviews - NYC

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: JULY REVIEWS US

Post by Billy Whiz »

I've seen the skipping nailed a few times but I agree that it is about time it was dropped. It fails more times than it succeeds. When I've seen it fail it has usually been Haydn that got tangled up.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I've actually seen it work at least twice in a row. :lol:

It doesn't bother me in the least when it fails. I think it lets the audience know that 1) it's a very difficult thing to do, and 2)it's okay for them to have a problem with it sometimes. I think in a way it actually lets the audience see a little of the human side of the performers to watch how they deal with it---always with good humor. If everything in the show went absolutely perfectly every time, then they might as well roll down a screen and show you the movie.

Like many forum members here, I really enjoy seeing how cast members deal with little glitches that occur. For example, the last time I was in London and saw Brad and Dean together, Brad's shoe came off in the middle of Express, but he just kept right on dancing with only one shoe, and Dean managed to pick up the wayward one and toss it off stage left without missing a beat!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Inexplicably, I recently recalled something else I'd like to add to my review of the July 7 show (above) although it really pertains to the production in general. It is an observation from my sister, who was a complete BETM novice when we saw the show that day.

As we left the theater afterwards, she mentioned that she was surprised that there was no "hit" song that you leave humming to yourself, as you frequently do with Broadway musicals. This was particularly curious since Elton John, a hit-maker if there ever was one, had composed the music. (After ticket cost, her main reluctance about seeing BETM was a fear that it would be little more than an Elton John concert sung by teenagers.) She had two explanations.

First, the music sounds and feels very much like traditional music of the region where the story occurs. It does not at all sound like pop music. In fact, she speculated that the song Jackie Elliot sings at the Christmas party was a genuine folk song, inserted into the production. As John has stated in interviews, this is exactly what he'd been trying to achieve. (Though, interestingly, I find that when you hear Elton John sing Electricity, it sounds like an Elton John song.)

Second, the songs and music are so well integrated into the story that they don't stand out as separate entities, especially if you've only heard them once. There is no single musical theme repeated over and over that infests your mind, as in Phantom of the Opera, for example. Plus, the songs actually tell large parts of the story, not just augment the story.

I thought these were excellent observations that I wanted to share with you all.
Well done, Elton John and Martin Koch!
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

July 25 matinee:

Trent, Keean, Tommy B as posh/tall boy. The rope tripped up Hadyn and Trent - again! Right at the beginning, so they gave up on it. Wise choice. By the way, that's three trip ups during the six shows I've seen this week. :shock: (A Billy tripped on the rope once while he was skipping solo and Hadyn & Trent together had a mishap last night.) And a first - after the dream sequence, the doorway set failed to come out on stage when it was supposed to and Daniel had to almost reach off stage to ring the doorbell. But then the set very slowly came on stage as the door opened.

So will the schedule hold and we will see Tommy Batchelor tonight? Or wiill they perhaps fly Tanner over again? :lol: Stay tuned.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Saturday evening July 25. Cast:
Tommy as "Billy," David Balogna as "Michael," rtm2008 as "fan," and Stephen Daldry as "The Director." A fine show with standing ovations even before the end. The jump rope scene went well, because (1) Billy and Mrs Wilkenson did not share a rope, (2) no one attempted to jump rapidly, and (3) I could swear the whole sequence was shortened. I asked Stephen if this was a change, but he said he wasn't aware if it was. I'm glad rtm2008 finally got to see Tommy as Billy. I think he was impressed. :D

Well that's it for this visit to NYC. I enjoyed every show and even walked up and down 5th Avenue. (No, I didn't buy anything :shock: )
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks johnnyc. Sounds like you had a great time.

Whilst you were talking to Stephen you should have told him what you really think of the skipping sequence ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

johnnyc wrote: I could swear the whole sequence was shortened. I asked Stephen if this was a change, but he said he wasn't aware if it was.
You and Stephen happened to have seats next to each other, eh ? Shame that they're making him pay to attend his own show now. ;)
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Todd wrote:You and Stephen happened to have seats next to each other, eh ? Shame that they're making him pay to attend his own show now. ;)
Actually, I ran into Stephen outside the theatre during intermission.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Billy Whiz wrote: Whilst you were talking to Stephen you should have told him what you really think of the skipping sequence ;)
Uh...At the first Broadway preview, I told him what I thought of Angry Dance, and I apologized the next day. So these days I'm more careful what I say to the man. :oops:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews Archive”