Post by Finale »

Here is the thread for July reviews :D
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: July 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 2nd July

Summary
Amazing, astonishing, astounding, fabulous, fantastic, fantastical, incredible, marvelous, miraculous, phenomenal, prodigious, unbelievable, wonderful, wondrous entertainment at the Victoria Palace Theatre this afternoon led from the front by Master Fox Jackson-Keen and supported by Master George Maycock and Miss Annabelle Crosby-Stewart.

Bits and pieces
Early Kitchen scene: In more recent shows a small addition appears to have been made. Billy, having dumped the remains of Grandma's pasty in the bin, picks up a 50p from the kitchen countertop, tosses it up and down in his hand a couple of times and then pockets it. It was interesting to note that in this afternoon's show Fox appeared to put his hand out to pick up the coin but either it wasn't there or some prankster had superglued it to the countertop. Consequently, as far as I could see, no actual money exchanged hands at the appointed time between Fox and Trevor. :D

Shine and Solidarity
I don't know the name of the Ballet group that performed but they are absolutely brilliant. It was like Fox was in among a forest of crazy choreographed trees in the middle of a hurricane, being buffetted around, branches swinging and waving in all directions, huffing and puffing and screaming and SMILING, huge exaggerated smiles and the funny thing was they made it look as if they were smiling at you personally. Margaret Gormley almost made it out without paying by carrying her distinctive coat rather than wearing it but Mrs. W is an old hand at making sure to collect those precious 50p's. Later, Tracey Atkinson's screeching pirouttes must have had even the mice begging for mercy and Susan Parks' starfish routine would have sent a tsunami crashing onto any beach. Meanwhile, Annabelle made such a mockery of it all her poor Mum must despair. All such wonderful fun choreographed down to the performers fingertips.

Grandma's Song
Ann must have had some holiday. Apart from looking ten years younger she danced around the stage with jaw-dropping nuclear powered energy that had the crowd clapping long before she had finished. I'll have some of that energy please.

Solidarity
This is one of the really great scenes of theatre anywhere beginning with the 13 coppers spread across the stage and building up to the point where virtually the entire cast are involved in a complex mix of chairs and feet and hands and helmets and batons and a final crescendo of that most wonderful and powerful "For Ever and Ever" finish to complement Fox's confident and graceful spins and final pose. Superb and must require intense practice for it to be so perfect every time.

Swan Lake/Dream Ballet
Shaun Walters did a magnificent job as Older Billy to Fox in this scene today, the smiles on both faces indicating a job expertly done. Still my favourite scene in the show.

Electricity
The usual gasps of astonishment and disbelief from the audience at what they were watching from the moment that Fox took off on the first incredible somersault. The applause started long before he finished and, although it took a few extra "yahoos", the smile finally came. Such a tease he is.

It was sweltering in London but there's no cooler place to be than in watching the best show in town.

Pat
dwallen
Small Boy

Post by dwallen »

I also went to the Thursday matinee. It is a while since I had seen Fox as Billy and he has lost none of his sparkle. His smile after a few moments in Electricity is a joy to behold. Actually he uses his face very well throughout the show to express a range of emotions. He works very well with George and Electricity was very funny. I, like Pat, really enjoyed watching the ballet girls all of whom were quite brilliant. I think that the direction of the set ballet pieces has been redesigned and is really great.

A good show although I thought the audience was a bit quiet until the end when there was a standing ovation.

It was very hot in the theatre at times but the cast did not seem to notice that and performed as strongly and committed as always.
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks dwallen and patc for the reviews.

I was concerned for you Pat when there was no review last week. Good to see you back.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
troscapole
Small Boy

Post by troscapole »

Eliot the small boy is returning after his week off. He will be giving his usual loud and focused performances on Monday 6 and Tuesday 7th July. can't wait, he is just so qute.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks troscapole. I've just posted another couple of photos of Eliot in the gallery today.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Fri 3rd July

Ollie, George and Annabelle
Romy as Grandma
David as Dad
Tyler as Tall boy
Small boy - think it was Connor, but not def
All other principle characters as usual

Excellent show. Extra special as taking a friend for the first time - they loved it.
Ollie was on top form. Love his little laughs that he does throughout. He has added a few extra touches to the dance that he does when he is trying to put Michael off in the boxing scene - very amusing. No piano flip in born to boogie, but think this was because he seemed to have trouble getting the shoes on, and didn't have time to get on the piano, so did a cartwheel on the floor. Swan lake was beautiful. Barnaby is just such an amazing dancer. So graceful - he suits te role perfectly. Electricity - my favourite - wasnt disappointed tonight. Ollie did his street version with plent of flips and cartwheels. Again, he had a few probs with his shoes and we could see him trying to put it back on. Ended with executing the wall flip and several mins of cheering - big smiles from Ollie as well
George remains as an excellent Michael. Singing his heart out in the stars look down. Him and Ollie work so well together in express - they are a perfrct combination.
Annabelle delivered a fantastic performance. Love her facial expressions. In the finale, she pushed George so hard, I thought he was gonna fall.
Ballet girls - first time I have seen this team - they were fab. The Tracey Atkinson was very funny !!! No girls in this team that I recognise from pre cast changeover.
All in all a great night - managed to briefly catch the kids getting on the bus, but no photos with them. Then round to the stage door for a photo with Kate, quick hello to Romy, and of course, highlight of the night, a chat with the lovely Barnaby !!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
dancestar
Audience Member

Post by dancestar »

I emjoyed the shoe last night too it was fab.... My daughter was on last night and it was great to see her settling into her role as i havnt seen her since her first week. Still love it and cant wait till i go again three weeks i think x x x
dancestar
Audience Member

Post by dancestar »

the team you saw last ight was bedlington. Tracy Atkinson was a cover from another team as our usul girl is sick I agee she was hilarious. There are three old cast girls in our teamand the rest are new although you woul never know it they are all fabx x x
pinknick103 wrote:Fri 3rd July

Ollie, George and Annabelle
Romy as Grandma
David as Dad
Tyler as Tall boy
Small boy - think it was Connor, but not def
All other principle characters as usual

Excellent show. Extra special as taking a friend for the first time - they loved it.
Ollie was on top form. Love his little laughs that he does throughout. He has added a few extra touches to the dance that he does when he is trying to put Michael off in the boxing scene - very amusing. No piano flip in born to boogie, but think this was because he seemed to have trouble getting the shoes on, and didn't have time to get on the piano, so did a cartwheel on the floor. Swan lake was beautiful. Barnaby is just such an amazing dancer. So graceful - he suits te role perfectly. Electricity - my favourite - wasnt disappointed tonight. Ollie did his street version with plent of flips and cartwheels. Again, he had a few probs with his shoes and we could see him trying to put it back on. Ended with executing the wall flip and several mins of cheering - big smiles from Ollie as well
George remains as an excellent Michael. Singing his heart out in the stars look down. Him and Ollie work so well together in express - they are a perfrct combination.
Annabelle delivered a fantastic performance. Love her facial expressions. In the finale, she pushed George so hard, I thought he was gonna fall.
Ballet girls - first time I have seen this team - they were fab. The Tracey Atkinson was very funny !!! No girls in this team that I recognise from pre cast changeover.
All in all a great night - managed to briefly catch the kids getting on the bus, but no photos with them. Then round to the stage door for a photo with Kate, quick hello to Romy, and of course, highlight of the night, a chat with the lovely Barnaby !!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Is your normal Tracey Atkinson the afro carribean girl who was on last season ???? Im sure she normally is in the team which has Tyler as their Tall boy, so was confused when Tyler came on, but the Tracey didn't ???
Which ballet girl is your daughter ???
Hope she is enjoying her time in the show - sure she must be xxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1

Return to “Reviews Archive”