The Set

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Set

Post by admin »

The source of the chairs which are a major part of the show.

http://www.sharonfergus.ca/wooden_chairs.html

And the award winning snow machine:

http://www.whitelight.ltd.uk/products/?p=snow
http://www.whitelight.ltd.uk/news/?n=1103
phoebe
Debbie

Re: The Set

Post by phoebe »

Many thanks for finding this.

From the first moment I walked into the theater for my first BETM, I was transfixed by the chairs. I love the way they are used so creatively in so many different scenes. Twirling the chair in the Swan Lake dream scene transforms it from mundane functionality to a hypnotic symbol of Billy himself: when he's dancing, he's lifted beyond the ordinary. Kudos to Sharon Fergus, the carpenter who made them!
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

When I was at the NYC show I chatted to the lady sat next to me. She loved the show but she said that some friends of hers came to see it and they didn't enjoy it. Their summary was "It's a musical about chairs"
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Alex
Ballet Girl

Post by Alex »

phoebe wrote:
Twirling the chair in the Swan Lake dream scene transforms it from mundane functionality to a hypnotic symbol of Billy himself: when he's dancing, he's lifted beyond the ordinary.
I love this - what a wonderful little summary! :)
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

Pratchett.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Billy Whiz wrote: some friends of hers came to see it and they didn't enjoy it. Their summary was "It's a musical about chairs"
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they might have missed the point of the show ! :roll:
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

thanks for posting :)
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Not sure if this is a thread for the Set or the Chairs but anyway thought I'd post a comment regarding the kitchen and bedroom element of the set which comes up from the stage.

Does anyone else have a bit of an issue with the Kitchen furniture?

That Belling table top cooker, the hot water wall heater and the wooden fronted drawer fronts are all typical of the 1960's not the 80's. It's the sort of stuff my granny would have had in her back to back with outside loo - I thought things had moved on considerably for the 1980's. Certainly in the film, they have quite a nice kitchen with all mod cons - this is more in keeping with the image of Dead Mum - can't imagine for a minute that she would have tolerated such poor quality fittings - afterall, prior to the strike, both Dad and tony were bringing in a decent 'pit-mans' wage (even though most of it may be pi**ed up against a wall, after they have bet most of it on the dogs)
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

While they were making good wages perhaps mum did ask to have the kitchen remodeled, but not being inclined to have anything to do with putting meals on the table, perhaps Jackie thought it was just fine and could see no reason to spend the money to have it done. Or, perhaps the Elliots do not own the house, and the landlord will not agree to update the kitchen. Speaking of outdated, in the film the house actually has an outside toilet, although there is a bath inside the house.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

ERinVA wrote:While they were making good wages perhaps mum did ask to have the kitchen remodeled, but not being inclined to have anything to do with putting meals on the table, perhaps Jackie thought it was just fine and could see no reason to spend the money to have it done. Or, perhaps the Elliots do not own the house, and the landlord will not agree to update the kitchen. Speaking of outdated, in the film the house actually has an outside toilet, although there is a bath inside the house.
Oh Ellen, you are a case! ;) Have you thought about the Diplomatic Service - I was turned down you know!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

I went to the Castle Museum in York recently (:P), and they had a typical 1980's kitchen, and it did look extremely similar to the one in Billy Elliot the Film.
That was an extremely pointless, not showing my opinion post.. but y'knoww..
The kitchen doesn't bother me, but then again.. i was not around in the 1960s.. so am quite unfamiliar with the kitchens.. but at this same Museum they had a 1960s kitchen, and the set in the Musical looked more like the 80s one than the 90s one

Anywayy..!
x

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”