Arlington Reviews

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arlington Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you, atreyu, for this "insider's" review of this production (after so many "professional" reviews from the press). You truly add the perspective of one who's seen the show many times and are able to compare this production to the others. I enjoy reading that aspect of a "superfan's" review.

Despite the few things you didn't like about this production, it's clear you enjoyed it immensely and have favorably compared it to many of the excellent productions you've seen in the past.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

atreyu wrote:Having visited Arlington this past weekend (and meeting a couple other forum members), I would describe the Signature Theatre's production of BETM as a fine re-imagining of the Daldry/Hall/Darling classic. Although the stage is small and has characteristics of in-the-round presentations - including performers occasionally blocking sight lines :roll:
Ugh. How can a director or choreographer not think this kind of thing out? Seems like such a careless mistake.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

With a small space such as this one with a thrust stage with seating on three sides, I doubt it would be possible to avoid this happening now and then for audience members seated on the sides. I expect that, in this case, seats that are higher up on the side that faces the stage are the ones with the best view.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:With a small space such as this one with a thrust stage with seating on three sides, I doubt it would be possible to avoid this happening now and then for audience members seated on the sides. I expect that, in this case, seats that are higher up on the side that faces the stage are the ones with the best view.
Fair enough. I haven't seen the theatre. I've just seen that kind of bad staging on even the largest of Broadway stages, and it's always frustrating.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:With a small space such as this one with a thrust stage with seating on three sides, I doubt it would be possible to avoid this happening now and then for audience members seated on the sides. I expect that, in this case, seats that are higher up on the side that faces the stage are the ones with the best view.
I chose to sit in the higher seats. Not only were they less expensive :), but the were no more than 30 feet from the stage. An added bonus was that I was at the height of the highest point of the flying scene. I could not imagine sitting 'ring side'....from my vantage point, on all three sides of the theatre, the sight line was perfect!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

WTOP (one of my favorite news radio stations) posted this Q & A with the two stars of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acPvfLR6VCI
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

https://wtop.com/entertainment/2018/11/ ... ild-stars/\\So far in the show’s first few weeks, audiences have been leaping to their feet.

“It’s been full standing ovations,” Gardiner said. “They just leap to their feet for these two boys. People love it. I think we are aching for stories right now that celebrate community and celebrate the individuality in all of us. I think this story is really uplifting and special.”
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Broadway World chimes in with its very positive review of the Signature Theatre production:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/washingto ... e-20181115
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Billy Elliot is about many things—work inequality, strikes, masculinity, homophobia, parental death, expressing individuality, finding yourself, chasing dreams—but what it might be about most is chance. An 11-year-old boy from a coal mining town in North East England wants the chance to dance, to make it out of a place that everyone tells him is going nowhere when he’s going somewhere. In a world of chaos, instability, and conflict both in his community and at home, Billy finds that to get that chance, he needs the support of his father, brother, grandmother, and neighbors. They all have to come together and give him that fighting chance to get out and make something of himself. And in Signature’s sincere new production, they do.
https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/art ... e-reviewed

Return to “2018 Regional Reviews”