Durham School Production March 2020

StephenCronin
Audience Member

Durham School Production March 2020

Post by StephenCronin »

[*]We’re doing BETM in Durham School in March 2020 and I’m looking for some help with various more unusual features. Features I suspect many will understand and some will have solved.
So first questions
Where can I source Police and Miner puppets?
Where can I source Maggie Thatcher masks?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Durham School Production March 2020

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, Stephen. Hopefully someone will have suggestions for you.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

I have no special knowledge, but thought I’d throw my tuppence worth in for what it’s worth. There is no obvious “go to” supplier within UK that I am aware of. There have been relatively few amateur &/or school productions of BETM in UK. Maybe somebody outside UK with more amateur productions has suggestions ?

Maggie Thatcher masks - and wigs - can be sourced from a number of UK outlets on the internet with varying quality and cost. You might struggle with glove puppets. Making these to order would be at prohibitive cost. Assuming these are for the Christmas party scene ? You might need to cobble something together using art and craft lessons . I’m sorry I cannot offer more. Out of sheer nosiness (or being nebby), are you Durham School at Quarryheads Lane ?

David
StephenCronin
Audience Member

Post by StephenCronin »

Yup we’re at Quary head lane
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

A short article from The Northern Echo about this upcoming production, just 10 miles from Easington . As Sunderland Empire Theatre is over 12 miles away this is almost certainly the closest ever to Easington production, amateur or professional. I’ve never seen - never considered seeing - an amateur production of BETM. The bar has been set so high by London, the UK tour etc. However, I’m going to give this one a shot hoping that enthusiasm and innate talent overcome the many obstacles that face anyone trying to mount a production. The school has been around since the early 1400’s, long before Lee Hall or even Billy Shakespeare, and has its own theatre so - we shall see !

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... ty-durham/
StephenCronin
Audience Member

Post by StephenCronin »

I hope you enjoy it we are working very hard to make it as good as possible. In the end it’s still a school show.
We’ve had to redesign the staging to fit a studio space as the performance licence requires us to perform on school property so we aren’t able to use our civic theater, the Gala, as we have in the past.
Say hello if you get a ticket we’re 90% sold!
Best wishes
Stephen Cronin
Durham School
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

Bought ticket before adding post. I will also visit relatives who live nearby at the same time to make it worthwhile with travelling etc. I'm sure everyone will give 100% both on stage and behind the scenes. Every performance of BETM I have attended has been enthusiastically received by the audience, and I have no doubt that will be the reaction to your production. I fully understand that there are restrictions on what you can do, and I will certainly be realistic in expectations. What a great opportunity for the school pupils to take part in such an acclaimed musical, the storyline based on your own doorstep. Durham School is setting its own bar high - go for it ! Cheers, David

Return to “Chat About UK School Productions”