August 2009 Reviews - NYC

maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

August 2009 Reviews - NYC

Post by maria »

Thanks to everyone for the fabulous July reviews. Now, bring on the August reviews!!!
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
clue
Tall Boy

Re: AUGUST REVIEWS US

Post by clue »

Hmmm no August reviews yet???

Ok. Twist my arm. I am not great at writing reviews but I'll have a go.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 8pm
Billy: Tommy Batchelor
Michael: David Bologna
Debbie: Maria Connelly
Mrs. W: Jayne Paterson

Seats: I was sitting in Orchestra 0 101 right on the aisle. Quite a good seat. You get to see or hear in this case small boy run down the Aisle. As well as Billy, going up and back down at the end of the show.

I was happy to get to see Tommy as Billy as my twenty Billy Elliot in NYC. I have only seen him two times before and I really like his version of Billy.

Wow, twenty shows. Although I am still significantly behind most of the forum members, I am still shocked that I have seen it 20 times already. Billy Elliot has so many layers. Repeated viewing is just needed to catch everything that is going on.
Also, in live theatre you never know what can happen. I’ve seen miner hats on flying into the audience, lollipops flying across the stage, coins popping out of pockets, many footware malfunctions. What amazes me is both adult and younger actors handled it so well and seamlessly continue with the show.

Saturday night’s show was very very good. For Tommy, I am generally looking for certain parts. The first part is pre-boxing scene in the kitchen with Mum. Tommy significantly slumps over on chair in response to a question from Mum. (I really love that ..)

Post Solidarity Bathroom Scene: I really have to highlight the chemistry between Tommy and Jayne (Mrs W.). Tommy glances around and asks the question “You don’t fancy me do you Miss?” Jayne picks that up by glancing around too before she answers “Strangely, I don’t.” Such a great moment.

Next is the pre-letter scene where Tommy/Billy is showing his Rubik’s cube then Star Trek annual. Tommy follows it the Vulcan greeting and Yay!

It is so hard to get Born to Boogie completely right and it was almost a perfect. Tommy did his part but Jayne had a little bit of a problem with the jump rope and just incorporated into the choreography. It was one of this quick thinking moments that I marvel at. Tommy finished with the flip off the piano which was the first time I saw that. It is great that Tommy is doing the flip off the piano but I am a tiny bit disappointed because Billy leap off the piano was uniquely his.

Tommy’s reaction to the hoo hoo line was priceless. Not exactly sure why but I really liked it.

At the end of “He could go and He Could Shine”, the Scab comes in and hands Billy the money. As usual, Tony takes the money and then throws in at the Scab. Normally, the money falls in a small area and Billy can easily pick it up. This time, Tony threw the money so strong … the money went flying across the stage towards the front stage right just past the first chair. Tommy was further upstage and had to crawl around to gather the money and then slowly inch his way back into the scene which he very well.

Electricity was an interesting live theatre moment. Tommy started and after singing a couple of lines some of the words came out wrong. I think I only caught a few words. I highly doubt too many people in the audience noticed it. I think Tommy caught it himself and chuckled and went back to song and finished the song quite strongly. I am amazed how Tommy was able to continue the song and to do such a great Electricity dance. Truly amazing!!!

I always like watching the packing scene. It is amazing how something simple like that can be a bit different for each of the Billys.

The show concluded with the finale. Tommy torn into this number and was having a great time.

After seeing Will Chase as Tony for the second time, it will take a couple of more shows to get used to as Tony but I think he has an interesting spin on Tony.
Will’s Tony has layers. He isn’t a constant intense Tony but ramps up so he is quite interesting to watch. On Saturday night, he was even pointing a little more to drive his point in.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the great review Clue. Sounds like you had a great time.

Keep the reviews coming everybody.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

Thanks for the review. I'd actually really like to see Tommy- it'd be great if he could come over to the UK for a few shows...
Charlotte x
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Clue,

Thanks for the fabulous review! Always interested in hearing about what things stand out for folks in a show.

Congratulations on show #20!

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks so much for your review, clue. I really want to see Tommy again.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

bubsycm wrote:Thanks for the review. I'd actually really like to see Tommy- it'd be great if he could come over to the UK for a few shows...
umm..NO! I still haven't seen Tommy and I'm due to in a few weeks (fingers crossed!) and I can't take any chances with him being out of the show! :P
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

SatinandLace wrote:
bubsycm wrote:Thanks for the review. I'd actually really like to see Tommy- it'd be great if he could come over to the UK for a few shows...
umm..NO! I still haven't seen Tommy and I'm due to in a few weeks (fingers crossed!) and I can't take any chances with him being out of the show! :P
:lol:
Charlotte x
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The blogger Steve on Broadway has great things to say about the NY production.

http://steveonbroadway.blogspot.com/
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

The same blogger said that the Sydney production was :o boring :x
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.

Return to “Reviews Archive”