August 2009 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AUGUST REVIEWS US

Post by ERinVA »

Maybe he was having a bad hair day the time he saw that one. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
clue
Tall Boy

Post by clue »

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8pm
Billy: Tommy Batchelor
Michael: David Bologna
Small Boy: Mitchell Michaliszyn
Big Davey: Eric Gunhus
Pit Supervisor: David Eggers

Tuesday lesson was just because a new actor or actress is joining the show doesn’t actually mean that he or she will be on that night. This is particularly true for the roles that are shared.

Seats: I am sitting in my favorite value area. PV right. Tonight G 20. Not a bad angle and I still can see faces.

I don’t have time for a long review but I throw out some thoughts.

It was a really good show. Tommy was great.

A picture perfect B2B with Tommy continuing to do the flip off the piano.

One thing that struck me with Tommy on Tuesday is that he almost always has a smile on his face so when he is sad or serious it has so much more powerful because of the contrast. I wasn’t a 100% sure but it looked like Tommy was really emotional in the Letter reprise that his lower lip was quivering.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Saturday, August 22, 2009 2pm
Billy: Trent Kowalik
Michael: Trevor Braun
Small Boy: Luke Tevisan
Big Davey: David Koch
Scab & Posh Dad: Kevin Bernard

What a terrific show right from the start! I got these tickets some time ago, so had no idea that I would be present at first performances for two young up and coming talents - Trevor and Luke!

Did not realize that this was Luke's first performance as small boy, but he did get some applause when he climbed on the stage, so there was no doubt family present to cheer him on. He was adorable. (Not to worry - Matthew and Mitchell are still in the program). Anyway, he peered out into the audience before turning his attention to the screen - seemed like a real natural, which made me think how amazing these youngsters really are - 6, maybe 7 years old, standing up in front of a HUGE crowd of people, and just acting all natural. Bravo Luke on a great opening night. He was warmly welcomed at the stage door with flowers and cheers, which is when I figured out that it was his opening performance as well! Great job!

This show really belongs to Trent - what an AMAZING performance. It has been some time since I have seen Trent (December 2008, well before he became a Tony winner!), and his performance just gets better and better. He has grown taller, and this seems to serve him well, particularly in the ballet dances - his lanky build just makes his body more fluid in the dances - hard to describe really, but it was fantastic. His tap is incredible, his voice beautiful, oh and did I mention his acting? These kids are all amazing - how do they do it? We think they have given us their best, and they improve on perfection - wow! I was just a wee bit stunned by it all, in case you can not tell. Bravo Trent and thank you for a truly outstanding performance - all your hard work and dedication is paying off in HUGE ways!

And on to Trevor who is another wonderful find by the BETMUS production. He put on quite a show, and has some unique takes on Michael that I have not experienced before in either the US or UK productions. Trevor is quite short next to Trent, but he does not let that get in the way - in the winter scene, he just grabs Trent's head and pulls it down towards him and plants the kiss on his cheek - very sweet. During Express, somewhere at the end of one of the early lines (perhaps "dressing up in satin and lace" - forgive me, I can't remember exactly), he hangs onto the last word and just raises it an octave or more - it was very unexpected and got me laughing right away. Express was wonderful fun, and Trevor worked the audience like a seasoned pro - no first performance jitters here that I could tell. Bravo Trevor... The winter scene was beautifully acted, with Trevor displaying Michael's vulnerability very poignantly. Another unique Trevor touch, at least first time I had seen it, was when he put on the tutu - he started prancing around Billy repeating "just a little bit" over and over and faster and faster until he fell flat on his face - it went on quite a bit longer than other Michaels, and did not end in splits BUT he did get up slowly and deliver the nutcracker line to great audience amusement.

I have not seen the show since June, and it was great to be back - everyone seemed in top form and it was a FULL house. Let's see what else stood out for me... I always love "The stars look down" and it just sets the mood... Shine, Grandma's song, Solidarity were all terrific. Haydn, Carole Shelley and Thommie Retter were in top form, as was Tony winner (LOVE saying that) Greg Jbara. The jump roping worked in Born to Boogie - I had forgotten that the jump roping only happens towards the end - it worked well, and when it works, it is really cool and effective. Bravo team. Angry Dance - Trent is just amazing - in the scene right before AD, when he is standing on the table and refusing to dance per Tony's "request" he looks so absolutely forlorn, it is completely heart breaking and believable. This kid can REALLY act in addition to dance and sing... WOW!!! Anyway, I know a lot has been written about AD, but I have to admit, the riot scene is just too busy for me. This is really Billy's dance, and we loose him for a while in it - London version is better, and try as I might, I just still can't get into the US version - enough said - Trent was AMAZING and would have loved to see more of him in it. Angry dance almost always brings tears to my eyes just by its sheer power.

Act II - Am always caught off guard a bit by how some of the numbers in the US version a shorter than their UK counterparts (Express and Maggie Thatcher come to mind right away), but MT got us off to a great second act. Greg's "Deep Into the Ground" is gut wrenching. He starts it off a bit more "drunk" than I remember, but when he gets to singing about his wife, he is just filled with grief. I love watching the evolution of Greg's dad from tough, angry, to tender and emotional. The more I see the US version of "He could Shine" the more I like it - For me, Jackie does go off to the pits, and is brought back with a police guard where he is met by an angry Tony. When Billy gets in the middle of the fight, it is really powerful - he falls and curls up in a ball on the floor. And then as the miners start contributing their change (take this and this, and this and this), Jackie is just completely overwhelmed with emotion and cries and apologizes for, in my opinion, having betrayed his friends by crossing the picket line. A powerful scene, with terrific performances by all.

Swan lake was breath-taking - cannot say enough about Trent's beautiful ballet - perfectly in sync with his older self. The audition scene was great - again, the more I see the US version, the more I like it, though I like the UK version as well, different though it is! Greg is hysterical in some of the scenes. And then there was Electricity. Again, can't say enough about Trent's singing and dancing. He really is in TOP form. I am afraid I am sounding a bit like a broken record here, but he is THAT GOOD!!! Enough said. It is getting late, this has gotten way too long...

One final story from the stage door - I LOVE the US stage door scene - it is so friendly. Anyway, there was a guy there asking a chaperon about who had played Michael the night before, and the chaperon pointed out Keean who had walked off in the distance. The chaperon then went over and got Keean and told him there was someone who wanted to meet him - so Keean came back, the guy complemented Keean on his performance, asked for a picture of Keean with his daughter, and then thanked the chaperon. What a great little scene to witness - everyone went away happy I am sure.

I did get a couple of photos of Trent and Trevor that I have sent in to the gallery.

That's all for now!
maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review, maria. It was worth the wait. I am soooo jealous. It's a long time until November. :(
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks, Maria, for a great review! Sounds like you really got to witness an outstanding opening night for Trevor and Luke, as well as great performances from the veteran cast.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Great review Maria! Thanks for posting it. You helped us all feel like we were there in some way.
:/
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

I must echo the others: Thanks, Maria, for a very well thought out and detailed review. I could picture the scenes you ably described and appreciate your efforts very much. I LOVE reading long reviews! You were SO lucky to have seen Trevor's and Luke's debut and a stupendous performance by Trent and the entire cast. Now I can't wait to see the show again...
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Thanks Maria! Reading your review was a great way to start my day! :D

Rich
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Rich B wrote:Thanks Maria! Reading your review was a great way to start my day! :D

Rich
I'll second that Rich.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
TTheatreGuyLD
Audience Member

Post by TTheatreGuyLD »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7pm
Billy: David Álvarez
Michael: Trevor Braun

This makes 9 times now for me. The 9th was just as good as the 1st, I love it every time I see it.

This time I saw the new Michael, Trevor Braun. This 11 year old has really made the role his own. I thought I saw it all when I saw David Bologna’s performance but there were indeed some rather shocking moments during Trevor's performance that were kind of jaw dropping. There are parts in the song which require a little extra pizzaz where David B. would make a meow sound and stick his hand out like a cat. Trevor ends up doing this whole “to hot to touch” thing as I would call it, where you lick your finger and then touch your ass making a hissing sound… I think as my jaw dropped it was partly in shock of “I can’t believe he just did that!”. Some might think or say that it was inappropriate for an 11 year old to play the role as he did but I think as this role was created it is meant to be played like this with very “over the top” shall we say reactions.

One other funny moment from the evening was during the scene in the 2nd act after the Christmas Party where Billy gives Michael the tutu. For some reason the tutu ended up inside out, which caused an interesting reaction and unscripted moment on stage between the two boys. As Michael starts to put it on and realizes it's all tangled up and can’t get it untangled he says to Billy "it's inside out" and asks for help. They proceed to take a moment to get it straightened out and as is straightened out Billy jokingly says “just f***in put it on”. Of course the swearing is completely in character. They ad-libbed the part very well and it didn’t hold them up what so ever.

I think I enjoy this most about live theatre as everyone says something different can happen every night. It’s the thrill, excitement and perhaps fear that keeps me energized when things like this happen when I am working on shows, also creates some good memories and stories to tell. LoL

Chris
Broadway - David x3, Kiril x2, Tommy x2, Trent x2

Return to “Reviews Archive”