August 2009 - UK Reviews

bubsycm
Debbie

Re: August 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by bubsycm »

Justin wrote: Not that I've seen Brad before so I don't have any of his previous performances to compare to, but I'm glad someone else noticed this almost teenage boy flirtatiousness as well. It may have just been the fact that Brad is nearly as tall as Mrs Wilkinson (although I didn't detect the same dynamic between Joanna and Tanner who's about the same height as Brad) but I thought that there were definitely undertones of innocent flirting/chemistry between Billy and Mrs Wilkinson at that performance, in much the same manner that teenage boys would playfully tease and throw suggestive looks at their young female teachers. Joanna as Mrs Wilkinson gave as good as she got and it was so interesting seeing this different dynamic between Billy and Mrs Wilkinson. Initially I found it a little disconcerting especially in the scene where Billy asks (in Brad's case almost playfully with a double entendre thrown in) whether she fancied him, and she responds in like manner, but this older, quite knowing portrayal of Billy really grew on me and it was very much in the mould of a typical teenager.
See, this is what I was saying about Tanner and Joanna!!
Charlotte x
Justin
Tall Boy

Post by Justin »

bubsycm wrote:See, this is what I was saying about Tanner and Joanna!!
I thought the Tanner and Joanna dynamic was slightly different though. In that case, it seemed very much that Mrs Wilkinson was doing the coaxing and trying to elicit a response from his more isolated Billy who's furiously placing walls between himself and the adults in his life. So yes, while I agree there were suggestive moments, for me, it seemed more one-way as opposed to it being more mutual. Brad's softer, less rough-hewn Billy was not just reciprocative, at times it seemed like he was the one leading and forcing a reaction out of her, and the power structures in operation in that relationship was different. For example, Brad's Billy gave a cheeky, almost flirtatious smile to Mrs Wilkinson when she suggested that he come on Monday night for a private lesson to make up a dance for his audition, before looking away regretfully. I've never seen a Billy react in that manner before and most stare at her either earnestly as in the case with the younger portrayal of Billys, like Tom, or give her a hard/concentrating/considering type look as with Tanner.

I agree it may just be a reaction to the way Joanna plays the part, and not having seen Brad and Tanner with other Mrs Wilkinson's - I don't know what kind of dynamic they have with Kate or Gillian for example. It'd be quite interesting to see if Joanna plays it slightly differently with a younger looking (and younger acting) Billy.
Red's my colour
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

Justin wrote: I agree it may just be a reaction to the way Joanna plays the part, and not having seen Brad and Tanner with other Mrs Wilkinson's - I don't know what kind of dynamic they have with Kate or Gillian for example. It'd be quite interesting to see if Joanna plays it slightly differently with a younger looking (and younger acting) Billy.
I never thought it before until Saturday. It'll be interesting to see her with the other Billys, yes.
Charlotte x
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

Monday night: Tom, Connor, Fleur, David B as Dad, Joanne, Ann back of holidays, Phil Snowden has presumably finished purchasing electrical goods and was back as Big Davy, Shaun K was back as Mr B but still no splits.

Not a review as such, just a few thoughts.

Tom - I remember seeing one of Tom's early performances and wondering whether he actually enjoyed playing the role of Billy. He seemed a little nervous and uncomfortable. However, having notched up 100 performances, it was clear that he does now enjoy himself. A tender, vulnerably Billy, this was an excellent performance.

Joanna - an interesting take on the role. My reading of her portrayal is as a women who has been let down so many times, she's forced to adopt the brusque manner and put up barriers to avoid been hurt again. Although she comes across as hard-as-nails, she's got a sensitive side as is shown in her goodbye to Billy. However, for the most part she's a woman who keeps her emotions fairly firmly under control, as was shown in her slightly less fierce confrontation with Dad and Tony towards the end of Act 1.

David B - I think he is consistently excellent as Dad. You always know you are in safe hands if you see a notice that David will be on as Dad. He sings the role so well, but I'm not quite sure why Billy now says "I die" rather than sing it at the end of Deep Into the Ground. David's dad has anger, pathos and humour. A great mix.

Ann - Great to see her back after her holiday.

David N (George) - acquitted himself admirably tonight. You wouldn't have known it was his first show. I think he was a little less brutal with the boys in the boxing seen and seemed to take the kids lack of enthusiasm for boxing in good humour. As Paul Broughton did as George, he takes a final bow, dancing across the stage in a tutu and boxing gloves.

I liked the changes made to Tony's speech about in 10 years time. Much more regret and sorrow than anger,

Still no falling over dancing dress. Apparently Daniel I's dancing dress is being repaired, so I assume that this is the reason.

It's only a week since I last saw the show, then it was Kate, Joe, Craig, Romy, Rhona, Trevor, Tanner and George; last night it was a totally different company. I think that is one of the things which keeps the show so fresh and exciting.
"In everything you do, always be yourself"
iht
Small Boy

Post by iht »

Chris wrote:Monday night: Tom, Connor, Fleur, David B as Dad, Joanne, Ann back of holidays, Phil Snowden has presumably finished purchasing electrical goods and was back as Big Davy, Shaun K was back as Mr B but still no splits.

Not a review as such, just a few thoughts.

Tom - I remember seeing one of Tom's early performances and wondering whether he actually enjoyed playing the role of Billy. He seemed a little nervous and uncomfortable. However, having notched up 100 performances, it was clear that he does now enjoy himself. A tender, vulnerably Billy, this was an excellent performance.

Joanna - an interesting take on the role. My reading of her portrayal is as a women who has been let down so many times, she's forced to adopt the brusque manner and put up barriers to avoid been hurt again. Although she comes across as hard-as-nails, she's got a sensitive side as is shown in her goodbye to Billy. However, for the most part she's a woman who keeps her emotions fairly firmly under control, as was shown in her slightly less fierce confrontation with Dad and Tony towards the end of Act 1.

David B - I think he is consistently excellent as Dad. You always know you are in safe hands if you see a notice that David will be on as Dad. He sings the role so well, but I'm not quite sure why Billy now says "I die" rather than sing it at the end of Deep Into the Ground. David's dad has anger, pathos and humour. A great mix.

Ann - Great to see her back after her holiday.

David N (George) - acquitted himself admirably tonight. You wouldn't have known it was his first show. I think he was a little less brutal with the boys in the boxing seen and seemed to take the kids lack of enthusiasm for boxing in good humour. As Paul Broughton did as George, he takes a final bow, dancing across the stage in a tutu and boxing gloves.

I liked the changes made to Tony's speech about in 10 years time. Much more regret and sorrow than anger,

Still no falling over dancing dress. Apparently Daniel I's dancing dress is being repaired, so I assume that this is the reason.

It's only a week since I last saw the show, then it was Kate, Joe, Craig, Romy, Rhona, Trevor, Tanner and George; last night it was a totally different company. I think that is one of the things which keeps the show so fresh and exciting.
Obviously all of them are, but I just think Tom is just very very professional, I can see a long acting career in front of him. I actually think his mannnerisms away from the stage remind me of Lee Mead for some reason...!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Chris wrote: David N (George) - acquitted himself admirably tonight. You wouldn't have known it was his first show.
Did he follow Trevor's tradition of sparring with the audience in front of the curtain at the raffle scene to begin Act 2 ?
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

Todd wrote:
Chris wrote: David N (George) - acquitted himself admirably tonight. You wouldn't have known it was his first show.
Did he follow Trevor's tradition of sparring with the audience in front of the curtain at the raffle scene to begin Act 2 ?
Yes, he identified a section of the audience as being the Newcastle upon Tyne lesbian and gay caucus and asked a women if she was enjoying herself and then told her to tell her face. I suspect there may be more ad libs when he gets more confident. We do not need to worry at all about our new George.
"In everything you do, always be yourself"

Return to “Reviews Archive”