October 2009 Reviews - London

Muppet
Michael

Re: October 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by Muppet »

Wow Billy Whizz, you got those pics up quick, it doesn't seem 5 minutes since I was looking at those on the back of your camera screen! Well done!

Well, as we have come to expect it was another emotional and great night, but after a 4 hour drive home I'm off to bed and will post something more tomorrow!

Just want to mention though that I thought the Resident Directors speech at the beginning was one of the best final night speeches I've heard. It was lovely what he said!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

So Daldry wasn't there then.
Mel8.12
Audience Member

Post by Mel8.12 »

... what did he say??
.....electricity, sparks inside of me.....
dwallen
Small Boy

Post by dwallen »

What a fantastic show this was with Brad excelling in his final performance. I would agree that the Resident Director spoke really well before the show started. This was my third last night for a Billy and infact the third time I have seen Brad in the role. when he came onto the stage he was greeted by a round of applause. I last saw him in March of this year and it was obvious that he has grown somewhat. I had not seen Connor before in the role of Michael and what a delight he was. Both he and Brad used their facial expressions to great effect throughout the show. Connor is a natural comic, I feel.

Brad's portrayal of Billy is very different from the others and showed clearly how Billy was becoming a troubled teenager and yet his talent as a dancer was the way out of his feelings of negativity. At no time did Brad depart from the role and acted it superbly. The Director said at the start that one of the challenges facing Brad at the start of his work in the show was acting which was not his forte. Well it certainly is now. He was a very believable Billy and the audience certainly appreciated that. As far as I can remember there were 3 specific standing ovations - one at the end of the Angry Dance, which I have never seen before, a very long one after Electricity and, of course, in the Finale. The one in Electricity allowed Brad to smile radiantly and he was obviously touched by the warmth and length of the ovation.

Another touching moment was after he said goodbye to Mrs Wilkinson and began to pack his case with Dad he had to wipe some obvious tears from his eyes - the ocassion was almost too much for him but having said that his professionalism shone through and he got on with the job.

Expressing Yourself with Connor was great - both boys put their hearts and souls into making it very funny indeed.

I must just mention Fleur again (I have in previous reviews). She is a superb Debbie, probably one of my favourites. As an actress she is great - she also dances well. Her timing is great and she is very funny.

Electricity brought the house down with Brad performing it to perfection. We will all miss Brad, as a Ballet Billy, and I like his version of the song. Incidentally, the audience also liked the 'ballet scene' which was also danced to perfection so much so that there were moments of applause during the routine that I have not seen before.

Last nights are always charged with atmposphere that cannot be recreated at other times easily and this was no exception. It is great when the bomb explodes relasing all that coloured paper which is a fitting end to a very special occasion for all especially the actor who is leaving.

Thank you, Brad, for giving us all such a memorable Billy. You will be greatly missed by all of us at the Victoria Palace but I am sure it will not be long before you are appearing somewhere else or maybe on the small (or large) screen.
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
scottyboy
Small Boy

Post by scottyboy »

Great Review dwallen
sounds like a brill night was had by all
Sam x4 Hogan x2 Fox x12 Layton x2 Brad x6 Tanner x3 Tom x9 Ollie x7 Dean x5 Rhys x2
aimeewill_2002
Tall Boy

Post by aimeewill_2002 »

Brilliant reviews everybody I won't attempt to write one as am not very good but Brad last night completly blew me away he is an all round performer and it was lovely to see how much he loved every minute of it well done Brad. :D
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks everyone for all the reviews. It's always great to hear how other people enjoy the show.

Last nights are something really special although hopelessly heartbreaking when you have been watching these extraordinarily talented youngsters develop their skills over a period of time only to see them, inevitably, like night follows day, move on.

The atmosphere before Nick (or Stephen) come on stage always crackles. Most in the audience don't actually know that the night is going to be special but those in the know have so many mixed feelings.

As I was in the middle of Row F on Saturday I was sat in my seat a good 10 minutes before the off. The House Full sign outside the theatre had confirmed yet again that this amazing show continues to thrill and enthrall audiences. All around, the place was buzzing. Forum members chatting in groups, Brad's parents and parents of the other young cast members coming together for the evening, the caring and friendly house staff getting people to their seats. The young ones who were not performing on the night and some of those still to perform were in the theatre, there to cheer on and just be there for one of their own. Their very presence in the theatre and their happy smiles in the direction of people they know only to see enhanced the evening to a level that defies words.

As others have mentioned, Nick's speech on Brad was wonderfully put together and was more than enough to get the tears flowing even before the Small Boy had put in his opening appearance. I don't know how Nick does it without a quiver in his voice. Must be that British stiff upper lip that we Irish don't possess. What happened afterwards also defies words as Brad proceeded to put on a performance to be remembered forever by all who were present. Connor and Fleur and the entire cast, MD, musicians and crew rose magnificently to the occasion and by 10.30pm all of us knew we had just witnessed one of the great nights at the VPT.

Den has most adequately summed up the "day of two different shows" phenomenon and there is nothing I can add to that. However, I cannot let the occasion pass by without mentioning Fox. Less than 48 hours after his stunning, incredible performance on Thursday Matinee he took on the Saturday Matinee starting where he left off on Thursday and did exactly the same. In my footballing days we never played two games that close together. Neither do professional footballers today and they play only 90 minutes a game whereas Fox did three hours each time. It is this guts, determination and loyalty added to their amazing skills that give real meaning to Mrs. Wilkinson's words to every Billy "You are very f---ing special".

My heartfelt thanks to so many for the memories of a great occasion.

Pat
JohnH
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by JohnH »

Many many thanks for the reviews everyone. Helps make up a tiny bit for missing my first leavers show since I started going to the show. :(
PrincessJellyBabies
Audience Member

Post by PrincessJellyBabies »

Thanks everyone for fabulous reviews, very gutted that I couldn't make it.
Looks like me seeing Brad be Billy is just an impossible dream now :(
Amy x

Thurs 29th Oct 2009 (Matinee) - Fox, Jake, Fleur

Friday 12th March 2010 - Tom, George. Emily

West End Angry Dance. Over Broadway Angry Dance. Always.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Not if you go on a Saturday he's doing in November/December :)
x

Return to “Reviews Archive”