Finances of Theatrical productions

jacob
Ballet Girl

Finances of Theatrical productions

Post by jacob »

There has been a lot of 'chatter' about the finances of Productions in some threads on this Forum. The posts have been conjectural and, I would say, in some cases way off the mark. We all recognise how differently West End theatres operate to those on Broadway. Sonia Friedman discussed the finances of Productions on both sides of the Atlantic in a BBC radio programme today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Friedman/

Her interview starts 17.56 into the programme.

Sonia Friedman heads a highly respected Production Company in London. If I had the financial resources I would be an investor.

I hope I have posted in the right thread :?:
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Finances of Theatrical productions

Post by kport »

jacob wrote:There has been a lot of 'chatter' about the finances of Productions in some threads on this Forum. The posts have been conjectural and, I would say, in some cases way off the mark. We all recognise how differently West End theatres operate to those on Broadway. Sonia Friedman discussed the finances of Productions on both sides of the Atlantic in a BBC radio programme today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Friedman/

Her interview starts 17.56 into the programme.

Sonia Friedman heads a highly respected Production Company in London. If I had the financial resources I would be an investor.

I hope I have posted in the right thread :?:
So...West End takings are up 2% over last year? The UK tourism industry predicts a sizable decrease - 15-30% - in tourism to London next year, due to the Olympics (which tends to squeeze out 'normal' tourism patterns). BETM/London has just confirmed it will continue through December 2012 at least. It will be interesting times, especially as the dates of the Olympics near...............

I found this recording provided little information....
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Sonia Friedman's informed analysis of production costs in London and Broadway is all the more pertinent in the light of BETM's closure in New York.

Six and a half years in London and still going strong with no issues around 'profanity'.................... and nothing to do with the Olympic Games either. ;)
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

jacob wrote:Sonia Friedman's informed analysis of production costs in London and Broadway is all the more pertinent in the light of BETM's closure in New York.

Six and a half years in London and still going strong with no issues around 'profanity'.................... and nothing to do with the Olympic Games either. ;)

Well, the Olympics are still a number of months off, so there would not be an effect - yet. But London Tourism is predicting a net drop in tourism while the games are on - and for a period before and after. That is a simple fact. Already advance hotel booking prices in London are significantly higher around the Olympic period. That drives away 'usual' tourism. If London's tourism drops, so will ticket sales in the West End. It is simple cause, and effect.

The US and the UK are culturally different (I know; I live in both), and some things that pass in one may not fly in the other - such as profanity, and the delicate subjects that BETM raise. Those points are even more valid in the American heartland. Add to that the fact that the story has little immediate historical (or emotional) link with the American experience, then it will appeal to a distinct and more discerning audience. BETM did not make it in Australia (I would suggest, for similar reasons); BETM/NYC has had a creditable three year plus run on Broadway; the US Tour appears to be steaming ahead until next summer, albeit streamlined and made more palatable to American tastes. I expect BETM/London to continue through the end of 2012, but I would say all bets are off after that date, particularly if the economic situation in Europe (see David Cameron's speech today) gets worse.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It has always been my understanding that BETM was never planned to have an open run in Australia. It was planned to run a year in Sydney and then move to Melbourne, which it did.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

It may well be the case that theatre numbers will drop during the Olympics but I cannot see this as a reason for the show to close. Once the Olympics close and tourism gets back to "normal" then things should be ok.

Ticket prices in London are a lot less than New York. I can see BETM Mon-Thurs for £19.50 which is a cheap night out in anybody's book. When I was in New York I was paying $100+ for partial view seats.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

ERinVA wrote:It has always been my understanding that BETM was never planned to have an open run in Australia. It was planned to run a year in Sydney and then move to Melbourne, which it did.
Agreed + the population of Aus is about a third that of the UK (which is itself a fifth that of the USA) and with the best will in the world Aus is so remote (not in a bad way, I love Aus :D) that it just doesn't get the huge volume of tourists that come to London and New York.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

A couple articles have assumed since Billy didnt have multi year runs in Oz that it failed there...i dont remember ONE article back then saying that...they were both very long SET runs.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

Everything else that I have read has said that the AU production was considered to have been a big success and ran for the planned duration.

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”