Betty Blue Eyes

Chat about other shows here
Muppet
Michael

Betty Blue Eyes

Post by Muppet »

Has anyone else been to see this yet? What did you think?

I went on Saturday night, knowing very little about it - except that Ann Emery and a pig were in it!

It is set in a post war Yorkshire town in 1947. The local town council are preparing a private function to celebrate the upcoming wedding of Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth. Meat is rationed so they are illegally rearing a pig (Betty) to be killed and cooked for all the important guests.

Reece Shearsmith plays a chiropodist, whose wife played by Sarah Lancashire, wishes to improve her social status and get an invite to the private function.

A German gestapo style meat inspector goes to great lengths to hunt down any illegally reared meat. The pig is stolen by the Chripodist and eventually used to get him and his wife the invite they desire to the function.

Ann Emery plays the confused 84 year old mother in law of the chiropodist. She was really funny and had quite a big role in the show too.

So does the pig get killed for the function? Does the meat inspector find out it has been illegally reared?

This show has lots of belly laughs. It is full of stereotypes, borders on farce at times and takes the mickey out of all things British!! I loved the lindyhop dance numbers too.

Understandably, the wonderfully realistic looking, and expressive animatronic 'Betty' gets the biggest applause at the end!! However Sarah Lancashire and Reece Shearsmith were very impressive actors.

It was nice to have a chat with Ann at the stage door. She has so much energy for her age!
jen
Miner

Re: Betty Blue Eyes

Post by jen »

It is great fun I saw it in previews. The pig didn't get killed as I understand instead it was mock pork spam in the shape of a pigs head. Betty was kept as a pet at least that's what I thought could be wrong though.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

I'm seeing this on Bank Holiday Monday, can't wait to see Ann Emery

The show is closing on September 24th 2011 after a 6 month run

Jon
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I shall be seeing it on the 31st August. Didn't realise it was closing next month.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I saw this show at the end of August. It was good fun; somewhat bordering on farce. But very lively and certainly enjoyable although it seems the attendances have not been very good so this was why its closure has been forward from January to 24th September.

It was good to meet Ann Emery at the Stage Door and have a brief chat with her. She looks exactly the same and her evergreen personality remains undiminished in spite of her octogenarian status. She actually has a very active part in the production. I certainly suggest seeing it whilst there is still time.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

So would I its a fun evening
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The early unexpected demise of this show has theatre pundits analyzing the reasons for the early close and the implications of it on the state of theatre in the West End in general. An interesting article...

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/10/14 ... in-danger/

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”