Love Never Dies

Chat about other shows here
andrewcraig
Tony

Love Never Dies Movie being shot in Melbourne

Post by andrewcraig »

cut and paste from Heraldsun 12 sept

MUSICAL mastermind Andrew Lloyd Webber will fly into Melbourne tomorrow for the filming of Love Never Dies.

It will be the first time an Australian production has been filmed for international DVD release.

Six cameras and 30 crew from Universal Pictures International Entertainment will record the show at the Regent Theatre on Wednesday, with Lloyd Webber on hand.

It will be his second visit this year after flying from London in May for the premiere of The Phantom of the Opera sequel.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Re: Love Never Dies

Post by Dancer »

Thanks very much for this information, andrewcraig. I did hear a rumour that the show may be being recorded. I hope the resulting DVD will be UK compatible and sold here!
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

cut and paste from melbourne Age
Gothic-magic realism takes centre stage
Matt Buchanan and Scott Ellis
September 15, 2011

THE DIARY
Lloyd Webber talks up Love Never Dies film (Video Thumbnail) Click to play video
Reel theatre: Love Never Dies captured on film

Composer Andrew Lloyd Webber visits Melbourne for the filming of the musical Love Never Dies.

Love never dies ... it just gets made into a film by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Lloyd Webber fronted the media in Melbourne yesterday to talk about the filming of his Melbourne production of Love Never Dies, which heads to Sydney in January. He has long hoped this version of the sequel to the worldwide smasheroo Phantom of the Opera would breathe new life into the musical after a lukewarm reception on the West End earlier this year. It has been given a complete remake by director Simon Phillips and set and costume designer Gabriela Tylesova. Think gothic-magic realism in a Coney Island setting. Lloyd Webber has described their work as ‘‘stunning’’ and ‘‘extraordinary’’ but he was surprised NBC Universal shared his enthusiasm. ‘‘I put the phone down in disbelief after Universal rang,’’ he said yesterday. It has certainly been a labour of love for all concerned, with six cameras and a crew of 30 filming the show over four days. Some of the action has been reblocked, so cameras can zoom in or pan out; scenes have been relit and the actors have had to tone down their expressions for the cameras. The film, due for global release in February 2012, will include some scenes from a performance tonight in front of a paying audience. Lloyd Webber says the film will be a permanent record of this production, but also will ‘‘very, very strongly increase the chance’’ of Love Never Dies making it to Broadway.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/ ... z1YC0mrEXz

you might be interested in this article writen before the opening in Melbourne

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/ ... 1ewhl.html
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

The staging that was filmed in Melbourne last September will be screened in US theaters on Feb. 28 per this story in Playbill. It will also be released on DVD and Blu-ray this spring.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/15 ... In-Cinemas
:/
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

I had a video from the London cast with Gustave singing Beautiful, wher the Phantom heard him play the piano for the first time

I would love to get that again, but cannot find on youtube
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

The 'Love Never Dies' DVD is now out. It is of the Melbourne, Australia production and incredibly different from the London show if you saw that. (The set/scenery being almost 100% changed!!) However, I really loved the DVD and will probably watch it over and over!
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I saw the show in Sydney in January. I was very conflicted. I thought the music and staging were sensational though! The storyline was just..... eh. They kinda bastardized some of the characters, and ruined poor Raoul. But I loved the music and the sets were really really awesome.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

I have also now seen the DVD and agree with Muppet that the set and scenery are completely different to that used in the London production. The stage in Melbourne looks bigger which can accommodate more spectacular sets, but I didn't really think they were any better than London, just different. Perhaps watching the show on a "small" screen can't really compare to seeing the show "live"! Some of my favourite sets were completely changed, such as the Pantom's lair. A lot of the music and scenes were similar to London although there were some changes. Overall I did enjoy the show, but then, I loved the London production too!
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

In the US, where it doesn't go on sale until the end of the month, there have been two screenings, initially on 589 screens, then an encore performance on 512 screens with a further encore next week with 520 screens.

It is also scheduled to be screened in Latin America, the UK, Korea and Hong Kong this year and is on sale here, the UK, Japan and Europe.

It's been the No.1-selling music DVD in the UK for five out of the nine weeks it has been released.

the above was cut and paste from the local news I cannot load the reference

The article was about small people and this was the last few paras.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”