Closing????

Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Re: Closing????

Post by Rich B »

ERinVA wrote:I expect the Toronto run will continue until September 3 as planned.
It better, considering I head to Toronto 3 weeks from today for 4 shows.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think your plans should be safe, Rich.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

shimmyshimmy wrote:I suspect that some of the Toronto cast are finding this announcement (well not quite announcement. Last parent I spoke to had heard it but didn't know if it was true) a kick in the cohones.
I'm sure some of the Toronto cast had hoped to move to either the New York or tour productions. Now with the tour stopping, there may be an excess of talent and not enough productions for all of them.
:/
mrovet
Audience Member

Post by mrovet »

Even though there has been no official announcement from the production company, the Madison run is no longer listed on the Official website and there is a message posted on the Madison theatre page (although it does seem like the run is just being postponed, not cancelled altogether):

http://www.overturecenter.com/productio ... he-musical
Toronto

Billy: Myles x3, Cesar x1, JP x1, Julian x1, Marcus x1
Michael: Dillon x4, Jack x3
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

The previously rescheduled St. Louis stop in November is now the only future tour stop actually selling individual tickets.
http://www.fabulousfox.com/shows_page_m ... x?usID=184
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Yorkie wrote:
ActingDude17 wrote:I wonder if perhaps the Toronto production will pick up the itinerary left behind by the tour.
It's possible but a month ago we were told that show was closing as well:

1st Tour Closing
I'm in serious denial mode here, as this is hugely sad news if all confirmed. I do still think there's a chance a new combined cast will be put together for a continuing U.S. Tour beginning in November. By officially closing the existing Tours, you can close the books and settle accounts for all cast and crew and then separately negotiate new contracts for a Tour in the late fall.

All that said, if cutting all separate productions is necessary for Old Vic worldwide, preserving Billy Broadway and Billy London, and helping them launch other productions in Germany and elsewhere as planned, then I will have to trust they're doing what they think is best. :(

Still, I'm with you all in solidarity. Though we're not talking about "200,000 men", this is a huge layoff basically for our community. Though we are mostly fans here, we stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in the cast and crew, as well as their families who will be greatly affected. :cry:

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Very well put, Sean. We don't really have any idea what the company is contemplating, but I would agree that keeping the London and Broadway productions healthy is paramount.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Nicely put Sean.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

Billy Whiz wrote:Nicely put Sean.
Agreed. I'm no expert on the theater business, but I assume that the financial viability of each company is assessed on its own merits. There are clearly costs associated with tours that are not incurred by stationary productions. Similarly, there may be enhanced revenues generated by a touring company beyond those from a stationary production. Ultimately, the producers, investors, etc. are in the best position to determine whether to continue a production.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I have been reading several Twitter and other posts from cast members and it seems that the TOUR will end on the 21st of August. I know the production does not encourage such posts but they have probably turned a blind eye - after all, the cast need to think about their next employment. I would expect an announcement by this weekend. The FTSE just closed for the weekend and that is always a good time to given shareholders good/bad news.

I hope this will allow Old Vic the chance to review the scale of the production taken on tour, the huge scenery that demands massive stages, and the length of stay and the unreasonable size of each venue. In other words, to see if a streamlined touring production can be made that will be less expensive and will generate higher capacity audiences, more revenue and smaller costs. BETM has to be more expensive than Jersey Boys (which is seems to follow around the country) and needs to become sleeker and more cost effective. Replicating the Broadway production on the Tour is simply too expensive, and relies on higher ticket sales in each venue than it has achieved to be profitable.

I think there is scope to get a tour back on the road at some point, but not now - not while this economy is so uncertain and production costs are so high. Time to take a breather, assess things, and make a new plan.

To any cast or crew who follow this - hold your heads up and enjoy the next four weeks! You have done a brilliant job show after show!!! What has really impressed me are all the reports of what a happy crew you are - a real family. The Broadway and London productions will have a field day with all the talent available, and I hope you all move on to the next exciting stage of your careers, whether with BETM or something else!

Return to “International Tour Archive”