Is the show going to fail now?

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Is the show going to fail now?

Post by kport »

booth088 wrote:
kport wrote:We can speculate; but I just spent an hour trying to buy a ticket online from the Broadway official site; with no luck. If they cannot get that right, the rest is just speculation.
You aren't having success buying the ticket through telecharge? I just tried and was able to get all the way up to the payment screen. Maybe try again? Unless your having problems bringing up telecharge through the BE website? You could just try the direct link if that is the case: https://www.telecharge.com/onlineBoxOff ... rodID=6101
Thanks. I tried it, and this is what I got:

We're sorry. This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again in a few moments. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

booth088 wrote:
kport wrote:We can speculate; but I just spent an hour trying to buy a ticket online from the Broadway official site; with no luck. If they cannot get that right, the rest is just speculation.
You aren't having success buying the ticket through telecharge? I just tried and was able to get all the way up to the payment screen. Maybe try again? Unless your having problems bringing up telecharge through the BE website? You could just try the direct link if that is the case: https://www.telecharge.com/onlineBoxOff ... rodID=6101
Thanks; I tried your site and this is what I got:

We're sorry. This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again in a few moments. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

Because of the way Telecharge has designed its ticket buying site a direct link such as https://www.telecharge.com/onlineBoxOff ... rodID=6101 will not work. You either have to use the online purchase ticket link on the show's or other site (such as PLaybill) website ticket page (for Billy Elliot's site http://www.billyelliotbroadway.com/tickets.php to go directly to the show's online box office or go to Telecharge's main page http://www.telecharge.com/ and then select the show you wish to purchase.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
mikey
Small Boy

Post by mikey »

I believe that BILLY ELLIOT will most likely be one of the shows that closes come the first Sunday of Jan. 2012. That is when many shows that cannot survive the winter-lull put up their closing notices. I hope it has a successful (smaller) tour and then goes the regional theater circuit before becoming available to community theaters (I know I would LOVE to direct it!).
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

mikey wrote:I believe that BILLY ELLIOT will most likely be one of the shows that closes come the first Sunday of Jan. 2012.
Seeing as how they recently put tickets on sale up to July, 2012, I'd be very surprised if it closed in January. They waited quite awhile before adding the 6 months for next year, as if they wanted to make sure it would be feasible to sell tickets for another 6 months. Apparently they were pretty confident they could. Then again, they had tickets for the Chicago production on sale up to January of this year, only to close it 2 months early, so I guess you never know.
booth088
Tall Boy

Post by booth088 »

shimmyshimmy wrote:What's the winter like in New York? Are shows discounted more? Do hotels get cheaper?
Well it really depends on the exact time frame. Mid December through the second week of January are high points for travel to the city, but then it drops until early march. I'm not sure about hotels, since I have never had the need to use a hotel while in NY, (with the exception of twice when I went with a couple school groups, and even then I never saw the actual cost of the hotel), however plane tickets are cheaper to NY as well as many other destinations in January and February (after new years of course, so like the 3rd/4th). But yea, for example The Addams Family is closing after dec 31st, and FOLLIES is closing January 1st, and there may be one or two others that decide to close between now and then. And many of the "limited run" shows that are starting up in October/November have closing dates that range from the week of Xmas to mid January. Which is one reason why a show like How to Succeed is planned so well, Dan leaves on January 1, then Darren criss for a 3 week limited engagement, and then Nick Jonas starts January 24th. These new big name performers will breath new life into the show to help it get through the winter months.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Billy Elliot won't fail; it will reach a day when it will have completed its successful run. Like a old politician, or a fading actress, it will glide off the stage of our lives into history, floating on a silver cloud of warm memories..........................then, like a phoenix, it will arise again elsewhere, perhaps in a new, sleek form, and continue to dazzle.................
Before that day happens, I do hope they record a dvd of the London performance for posterity.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

shimmyshimmy wrote:What's the winter like in New York? Are shows discounted more? Do hotels get cheaper?
From January (just after New Year's) through March hotels in New York are much cheaper than the rest of the year.
:/
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

There's no official vids of the shows(concert version yes) of les miz or Phantom yet...maybe after all the main shows and tours are over...even then it's rare with a few notable exceptions...but still very few shows do that...I'm betting costs too much.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Some good news regarding recent ticket sales on Broadway:
Among those productions that have already opened, strong improvements were made by musicals "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" ($734,089) and "Sister Act" ($621,509), each increasing their sales by 34 percent over the previous frame. Long-running tuner "Billy Elliot" also saw an uptick in sales (about 28 percent) to close the week at $628,149.
http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Rollerco ... es91021729

Return to “Broadway Archive”