Publicity for Madison, WI

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Publicity for Madison, WI

Post by ERinVA »

Perhaps it could be "Billy Elliot Night" at the ball park, and some lucky patrons could win tickets to the show. A real Billy could sing the National Anthem, and the chicken could wear a mascot chicken-sized Billy Elliot T-shirt and tutu . Of course, since the team is the Madison Mallards, I guess the mascot would actually be a duck instead of a chicken. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:Perhaps it could be "Billy Elliot Night" at the ball park, and some lucky patrons could win tickets to the show. A real Billy could sing the National Anthem, and the chicken could wear a mascot chicken-sized Billy Elliot T-shirt and tutu . Of course, since the team is the Madison Mallards, I guess the mascot would actually be a duck instead of a chicken. 8-)
Free Billy Elliot merchandise or discount to show to anyone who wears a tutu to the ballgame! =)
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Discounts help but tutus hurt.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Actually grown men in tutus iS part of the show, granted in the finale...just saying.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

But let's admit it...the teen boy fan base for Billy doesn't come close to 1% of audience.The tutu brigades target women and girls...and poofs.:)
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

As part of the 1% I'll play devil's advocate here and point out that doesn't mean marketing shouldn't try to raise said percentage. Just because they're not coming now doesn't mean there shouldn't be an effort to bring them in. Maybe if marketing shifted its strategy more would come. For some reason Tony and Dad are never featured in promotions and they're much bigger parts than the ballet girls. If more young men saw what an exploration of family ties among brothers and fathers and sons Billy Elliot is, more would be in the audience. Sadly, this part of the show is seldom stressed. It's always about targeting those who love dance with tutus and "Expressing Yourself" (great parts of the show in their own right), but they're going to come see the show regardless anyway.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

ActingDude17 wrote:As part of the 1% I'll play devil's advocate here and point out that doesn't mean marketing shouldn't try to raise said percentage. Just because they're not coming now doesn't mean there shouldn't be an effort to bring them in. Maybe if marketing shifted its strategy more would come. For some reason Tony and Dad are never featured in promotions and they're much bigger parts than the ballet girls. If more young men saw what an exploration of family ties among brothers and fathers and sons Billy Elliot is, more would be in the audience. Sadly, this part of the show is seldom stressed. It's always about targeting those who love dance with tutus and "Expressing Yourself" (great parts of the show in their own right), but they're going to come see the show regardless anyway.

Acting Dude17 has good points, that since young men are only a tiny percentage of those who attend BETM, if they were targeted by promotions, some of the empty seats could be filled in every town. I mentioned in another thread that young men could be among the best fans of Billy Elliot The Musical, if we can convince them to give it a try. The women and older people will come to see BETM anyhow, so the promotions should be aimed at a new audience. NO TUTUS, NO TUTUS, NO TUTUS
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

To prevent the discussion about tutus as a promotional gimmick from taking over the Publicity Section for the tour, I have set up a poll so people can vote about it. After all, it is an election year. ;) :D

I have added several choices, but if you would like more, let me know. I have also made it possible for people to change their votes if they change their minds.

I'll be interested to see the results. 8-) To voice your opinion, go here:
http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... =14&t=3764
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Capital Newspapers, at the website Madison.com, has this announcement about the show opening there next week:

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/c ... um=twitter
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

Publicity for Madison features a TV interview with the Billys from Cleveland (c. Nov 2010).
http://www.examiner.com/article/billy-e ... on?cid=rss

Return to “Publicity - US/CA Tour Archive”