Mitchell Tobin-Billy(Tour/UK/CA/KS/LI)

rob_hanson1979
George

Re: Mitchell Tobin - Billy

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Hey guys. I saw Mitchell perform tonight. He was good. I posted my thoughts in my review of the show. However I wanted to mention that he's really good during The Letter and the reprise. He's a very expressive actor and so you get a lot of emotion out of him. I can't imagine anyone not getting choked up during the Letter!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

(This is also posted under 'Publicity for Birmingham):

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.s ... billy.html
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

he comes across really well in the interview. These kids are so much more mature than I was at that age!
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

I wholeheartedly agree with rob about Mitchell,s acting, he gives a special and unique portrayal of Billy, so innocent and vulnerable, yet so determined and strong. He is a joy to watch. I also agree with Rob that he gave a wonderful interview. One thing I have noticed is that many of the boys who play the roll of Billy give wonderful interviews. Along with their artistic talent many of the Billy's are extremely bright and articulate , as well as intuitive and creative, They never cease to amaze me.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I bet thats part of what they look for when they are auditioning for the role. I'm sure the auditions consist of several interviews as well, so they could tell how a Billy is going to do in terms of PR.

And thanks for agreeing with me! haha! Did you notice what I was saying about Mitchell's spin on Billy? I don't know the right word to make it sound positive, but I found he gave Billy a bit of an attitude that I hadn't seen before. Almost a bit of a cocky attitude, but in a good way. I think it made Billy come across as very determined, which makes a lot of sense considering the story.
Always fascinating to see how different boys can make Billy a different person, but have the same story.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Anyone else have any comments about this great Billy?
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

His hometown newspaper, The Palm Beach Post, has this great story about Mitchell in advance of the show stopping in West Palm Beach later this week:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/enter ... our/nWdf4/
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

What a great article. Mitchell has captured my heart from the first time I saw him perform. He has an emotional power to his acting (esp in the Letter) and his small size and childlike singing voice give the story of Billy Elliot a special realism. Clearly he is very bright and focused not only on the present but also his future. Go for the stars Mitchell !
Mactor17
Small Boy

Post by Mactor17 »

Maybe because he was so young looking, but I saw his Billy very different then any of the others I saw. I truly enjoyed his performance.

Billy: Ben 4, Joseph 3.25, , Noah 2, Kyland 2, Julian 1.25, Tade 1.25, , Michael 1, Mitchell, Peter .5
Michaels: Cameron 5.5, Jack 2.5, Ethan 2, Sam 2, Jake 2, Ben 1, Keean 1
cainmac
Small Boy

Post by cainmac »

Just watched Mitchell perform at the matinee in Jax. Couldn't agree more with all of your comments. Highly emotional letter scenes and his pronunciation is spot on for what I would expect from a character that age. There's just something about the heart and soul that he puts into the character.

And, man, can he tap! The audience roared into applause at the beginning of the tap scene during "Express Yourself". He was on fire!!

And, much appreciated, he and his family were ever so gracious at the stage door (as cold as it was today). He was even doing the "Billy leap" for a family member next to the tour trailers.

Hope Mitchell and his family get some well-deserved time together next week!!!

Return to “Cast Members - Past Regional Productions”