US/CA TOUR SCHEDULE

mxmx
Small Boy

Re: US/CA TOUR SCHEDULE

Post by mxmx »

Has the official site simply never posted the engagements for Las Vegas and Sacramento on their list, or have those been dropped?
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

I'd guess just haven't yet, God knows why. :?
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

I know it is way too early to talk about when the Tour ends but with the Les Mis Tour being considered for a Broadway run when it finishes, just maybe that could happen with BETM too.

At the End of the Tour, Will Reimagined Les Miz Storm Broadway?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

It is possible that it will return to Broadway (personally I would like to see it stay in Boston!). I think that, to do so, it would have to be another production organization that takes that on, for a number of reasons, one being at SETA contracts (now used on Tour) cannot be used once a show has settled in one venue for a long run. There must be a finite number of suitable theatres around North America that the tour can visit; and already the tour has visited, or has plans to visit, a city or conurbation more than once, albeit in different theatres (Tampa 2011/Clearwater 2013). Will there come a time when the tour runs out of venues and start revisiting them, or will that signal the time to end the tour, and settle in one place - or cease entirely? Or is North America so vast that the tour can be kept on the road as long as people keep turning up to see it?

On most occasions when the tour stopped at one major venue for a four week stint (DC; Atlanta; Boston; LA etc), it did very well. I am sure it is a lot easier on the cast and crew to stay longer than a week or two; stay a month or even a 'season' (three months) in a major city. But, from what I understand, finding venues in Broadway is not an easy task, and it can be very expensive. As has been stated before, most likely it is the bean counters who will determine what happens.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

"It's the economy, stupid". This is not aimed at anyone, but it is a famous political statement. The tour will be replaced by Broadway only when lots of people have lots of disposable income. And maybe not then. It would be much cheaper to appear in venues around New York than it will be to return to New York.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:"It's the economy, stupid". This is not aimed at anyone, but it is a famous political statement. The tour will be replaced by Broadway only when lots of people have lots of disposable income. And maybe not then. It would be much cheaper to appear in venues around New York than it will be to return to New York.
'It's the economy, stupid'. Interesting you should chose that quote...I just passed the political target of that quote as he and Bar were being driven out from Walker's Point only an hour ago!
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

I would love nothing more than for Billy to return to Broadway, but comparing it to the Les Mis tour is a little off base. It's been six years since Les Mis closed in New York, and that aside, the current tour is quite redesigned. It would be like a true revival, rethinking the show in several ways. The touring production of Billy is, for all intents and purposes, artistically identical to the original Broadway production. If producers didn't believe that production was making its money, they won't think this one will either. The best thing to do is keep it touring. There have been many successful stops in cities both large and small. Many small cities and large towns remain unvisited, and repeat visits to larger cities (as in top twenty in population) will likely prove profitable if enough time is allowed to pass since the first visit. With the right management, and at the moment the management seems to be doing a great job, I think the Billy tour can run for quite awhile.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

kport wrote:
On most occasions when the tour stopped at one major venue for a four week stint (DC; Atlanta; Boston; LA etc), it did very well.
I dont know where you got your info but the show only did 8 shows in Atlanta.... :mrgreen:

I also would like to see the show return to Broadway but not sure it would be the same with all the changes that have been made.... :(
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Mike wrote:
kport wrote:
On most occasions when the tour stopped at one major venue for a four week stint (DC; Atlanta; Boston; LA etc), it did very well.
I dont know where you got your info but the show only did 8 shows in Atlanta.... :mrgreen:

I also would like to see the show return to Broadway but not sure it would be the same with all the changes that have been made.... :(
Quite correct. Apologies.
muck912
Tall Boy

Post by muck912 »

Proctors Theater in Schenectady, NY sent me their publicity pamphlet for their 2012-2013 season. It arrived in today's mail. No Billy Elliot for 2012-2013 but their CEO, Philip Morris, has a Q & A section that strongly hints that BE will be on their 2013-2014 schedule:

Q - Will you be booking Billy Elliot soon? Proctors patrons deserve to see a quality Equity production of this amazing show!
A - Keep watching for our next season. I can't really say, but...

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”