Billy Elliot NY to close!

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Billy Elliot NY to close!

Post by ERinVA »

shimmyshimmy wrote:Safe to say that at minimum, we'll get all the current Billys doing a number at the end.
I don't think it's safe to say that at all, actually.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if there's no mention to the audience before the curtain rises that it's the last show and nothing at the finale either. I'll be disappointed if that's the case, but not shocked.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

At the Toronto finale, all four of the final-cast Billys came out and did a brief tap number based on Express right before the acknowledgement of the Music Director. They stayed out for the final bow. After the curtain fell, we could hear "Happy Trails to Us" from behind the curtain.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

The most glaring example of inconsistency is this past July 3rd. At the matinee the resident director came out before the show to mention it was Giuseppe's first Broadway performance. However that evening she could not be bothered to acknowledge Jacob's final show. Grrr :evil: Given this inconsistency I would find it hard to predict what we will get on January 8th.
:/
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

shimmyshimmy wrote:Did they not even do a goobye jacob.... goodby...... and a happy trails?
No "Goodbye Jacob" and "Goodbye Neil (McCaffrey)." But they did bring Jacob a boquet of flowers, as they did the ballet girl who was also leaving that night. And Greg Jbara made a nice speech at the curtain call on behalf of the departing actors. It was almost like Greg was thinking, "Well, if the show's not going to acknowledge that it's their last night, then I will." Another example of his going out of his way to make sure people got credit where credit was due. As for "Happy Trails," I'm sure the cast sang it to them backstage after the curtain fell.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I was at the show tonight for Ben's last. Just want to say that I am much more optimistic now about a very special last performance! :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Gavroche
Small Boy

Post by Gavroche »

For the final show in Melbourne we did get a short speech from Stephen Daldry along the Resident Director and Producer of the show.

We were treated to a special finale based on Expressing Yourself which saw all of our Billys & Michaels taking part. Hopefully there will be something special for Broadway to remember Billy.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

angelenroute wrote:I was at the show tonight for Ben's last. Just want to say that I am much more optimistic now about a very special last performance! :D

Sean
Is that a hunch or is there an objective basis for the optimism? Please tell us you're an unindicted co-conspirator and can't reveal the clandestine details. We'll trust you since you're usually in the know. ;)

As to my hunch, it just doesn't make sense for a 10-Tony award winner to close without a proper sendoff. But then, logic is frequently not in effect these days. :roll:
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Just another opinion, but I believe there will be a proper send off. My logic? Over three years on Broadway and it will be the last performances by most, if not all, of the entire cast in this great show.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I am certainly crossing my fingers that something special will happen.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Broadway Archive”