Billy Elliot NY to close!

tzwicky
George

Re: Billy Elliot NY to close!

Post by tzwicky »

CJ-Rochester wrote: ... Perhaps ???"
(A happy and well-adjusted BETM Nutter from long, long time ago....)

tzwicky
booth088
Tall Boy

Post by booth088 »

The numbers for this last week show an amazing rally in ticket sales. At this rate, we could easily see sell outs from Dec 1 (or even late november) till close.

Billy Elliot
(Imperial) $849,504 10,298 1,421 $82.49 90.6%
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Mad dash to the end. Too bad this didn't happen before they decided to close. :(
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
booth088
Tall Boy

Post by booth088 »

ERinVA wrote:Mad dash to the end. Too bad this didn't happen before they decided to close. :(
Right, but it's clearly happening BECAUSE of the decision to close. And the months of January-February would have been brutal to the show. But at least the show will be playing to good sized audiences for these last couple months.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

It would be great if they use the extra revenue to get ALL the ex Billys who performed in NY to the final show :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
BEF
Small Boy

Post by BEF »

Billy Whiz wrote:It would be great if they use the extra revenue to get ALL the ex Billys who performed in NY to the final show :D
Not only the ex Billys who performed in NY but also ALL US Billys -(include Colin&Corey) PLEASE!!!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

BEF wrote: Not only the ex Billys who performed in NY but also ALL US Billys -(include Colin&Corey) PLEASE!!!
Crazy talk!!! But man if dreams did come true! From your keyboard to God's computer screen in the sky. My first Billy ever (well, besides our dear Jamie) was Corey in London.

Someone asked me last night on IM, "So will you find a new favorite show now? (sorry to open a wound)". I told him that yes, I do still have several shows on my to-see list as well as other favorites I'd love to see again. Billy Elliot has brought me a profound appreciation for live theatre that I only had hints of in the past in comparison. I will miss it greatly of course, more than I realize yet.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

angelenroute wrote:
BEF wrote: Billy Elliot has brought me a profound appreciation for live theatre that I only had hints of in the past in comparison. I will miss it greatly of course, more than I realize yet.
Same here Sean.

On top of that I will also miss the wonderful friends that I have made on my trips to New York.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

Billy Elliot has brought me a profound appreciation for live theatre that I only had hints of in the past in comparison. I will miss it greatly of course, more than I realize yet
So well put, Sean.

For me, the magic began on March 1 in Toronto. Opening night. Cesar Corrales as Billy. Elton John in attendance. A triumphant tale told with such heart. An audience so gobsmacked by what we were seeing that it seemed we stood all night long.

Arriving back home (still dazed), I googled everything I could about this musical. It wasn't long before I stumbled across Kate Hennig's Broadway Billy blog, which so eloquently chronicled her year as Mrs. Wilkinson in New York. For those of you who haven't read it, it's a 42,000-word jewel of theatrical prose -- a personal invitation to share a truly remarkable voyage of discovery with some of the most talented youngsters to ever grace a stage. Almost every entry is infused with her admiration and, yes, her love, for "my Billys", as she calls them.

Of course, it's not just Kate who won me over. BETM's astonishing casts in New York and Toronto, along with a supremely talented creative team, have produced that rarity of events -- a dramatic work of art that manages to replicate its genius night after night (with subtle mutations to amuse those lucky enough to bear witness.) BETM instantly had me recapturing that giddy and almost child-like sense of wonder that great theatre provokes.

Note to self: I don't think this feeling will fade, even once BETM becomes a little less accessible. For me, the world has become a much more inspiring and engaging place. And for that, I will always be grateful.

Tom
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

shimmyshimmy wrote:I went to Chess: The Musical today. I was quite surprised that I sat there throughout and thought about Billy Elliot. Maybe that was just cause I found this kind of flat and uninspiring.
That's been one of the downsides for me too . . . .the fact that I compare other shows - and other child performers - to "Billy Elliot" and finding that so far, they've all come up short. While there have been some other real good shows that I've enjoyed, there have been just as many others where I've found my mind wandering and thinking, "This just gets me in the mood to see 'Billy Elliot' again, since it's so much better."

Return to “Broadway Archive”