Closing????

angelenroute
Billy

Re: Closing????

Post by angelenroute »

And in a worst case scenario, auctioning off set pieces, props and costumes could earn them some money too.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Very well said Sean, BEtourfan and kport.

We all wish the best to cast and crew of the Tour production.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

angelenroute wrote:And in a worst case scenario, auctioning off set pieces, props and costumes could earn them some money too.
I wouldn't think they would generate much money - many of the props/costumes/equipment could be recycled to the Broadway production anyway. Some could be sold - the computerized sound system, for example, unless it is leased. I think the tour trucks are leased (I remember reading the name of the firm on the cab door) so that is a case of buying out any remainder of the contract. The largest expense will come from the theaters which have been booked. No doubt there is a cancellation clause involved. And, of course, whatever the employmet contracts for cast and crew entail.
booth088
Tall Boy

Post by booth088 »

A few people have mentioned keeping the Broadway and west end productions strong. Just out of curiosity since i am less familiar with the west end, are their numbers public like they are over here? Like for example the Broadway production (link below) is still grossing $841,404 per week. Which is pretty good for a long running show, for example: Chicago:$502,452, Phantom: $990,002. Still not wicked or the lion king which come in at 1.8 million, but still sustainable, especially considering the cost of running a show like Billy vs a show like Anything goes, how to succeed, or wicked, is lower considerably. Just wondering since the Broadway production continues to be fairly stable, is there information like this for the west end production as well? Just wondering how that show is doing in comparison.

http://www.playbill.com/features/articl ... July-11-17
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I don't know if there are any figures available for the London show but there certainly seems to be plenty of bums on seats whenever I go.

As tickets are now available for the whole of 2012 it must be still in a very healthy state :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

booth088 wrote:A few people have mentioned keeping the Broadway and west end productions strong. Just out of curiosity since i am less familiar with the west end, are their numbers public like they are over here? Like for example the Broadway production (link below) is still grossing $841,404 per week. Which is pretty good for a long running show, for example: Chicago:$502,452, Phantom: $990,002. Still not wicked or the lion king which come in at 1.8 million, but still sustainable, especially considering the cost of running a show like Billy vs a show like Anything goes, how to succeed, or wicked, is lower considerably. Just wondering since the Broadway production continues to be fairly stable, is there information like this for the west end production as well? Just wondering how that show is doing in comparison.

http://www.playbill.com/features/articl ... July-11-17
The London show seems to just about sell out every performance - of course London has one of the highest tourist footfalls in the world and every tourist venue - beginning with pre-immigration at Heathrow - has the iconic 'Billy Jump' life size cutout with free leaflets. It is all over double decker buses and underground stations as well. You cannot miss the publicity for BETM, or Mamma Mia. By the time any tourist reaches his/her hotel, BETM is pretty much ingrained on their minds as a 'must do' event. I suspect last minute tickets are snapped up if there are any.

On a slightly different point, the youth cast that have to live in London stay at what is called the 'Billy House', a sort of boarding school type residence which is not only cost -effective, but is run following OFSTED and Social Services regulations and inspections, meaning the kids are well and properly looked after when in residence, and proper schooling can take place. The Billy House's location is kept a secret. Britain is small enough so all the kids can go home when time permits it. I do not know what happens in NYC, but a 'Billy House' must be more cost effective than housing everyone on Tour.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

I can confirm that the London show continues to book really well. Huge added interest has been created as a result of the spectacularly successful Billy Youth Theatre which culminated last Sunday on the VPT stage with 400 young performers and numerous Billys!
Also Les Miserables is practically sold out through the entire summer. I tried in vain to get a decent ticket yesterday for a date in August!
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

kport wrote: The Billy House's location is kept a secret. Britain is small enough so all the kids can go home when time permits it. I do not know what happens in NYC,
I believe each kid stays with at least one parent or adult family member in a rented facility some where in the Manhattan area, and the family member picks up the child after he/she signs autographs and poses for pictures while under the watchful eyes of theatre staff at the stage door.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

but a 'Billy House' must be more cost effective than housing everyone on Tour.
Of course all tours have housing built into their costs, but with this show they are having to house the families of the kids as well as the kids themselves, and they also have to carry tutors on the tour, who must also be housed, so both of those things add extra expense. As far as housing costs borne by the company, NYC and Toronto probably get off with the least expense because although I believe they do help their cast members find places to rent if needed, they do not pay for the accommodation. The cast members sign their own leases and pay their own rent, to the best of my knowledge. Both productions do have the expense of paying tutors, but there is less than you might expect in NY, as some of those kids are home schooled by their parents, or are enrolled in online programs.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

The tour also has per diem costs associated with each contracted worker. Plus the costs of shuttling the sets/props in the huge trucks and paying the dozens of people it takes to take down and then reset everything. The hotel costs and airfare for each person also has to be massive. Just one room at an average of $150 per night for a two week run would amount to $2100 plus tax. Take that times the 50-80 rooms probably needed and one begins to realize the mind boggling costs associated with a production this size.

Return to “International Tour Archive”