06/27/09: David A./David B.
Tour
12/07/11: Lex/Jacob
12/11/11: JP/Jacob
BEtourfan
Tony

Re: Zach Manske - Billy

Post by BEtourfan »

Zach's debut performance (and standing ovation) is captured in this brief article noting the Tour's final show in DC:
http://www.fcnp.com/arts/10912-billy-el ... incinnati/
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Brief but excellent review of Zach's first performance. Great job Zach!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Broadwayworld.com has an "official" announcement of Zach's debut:

http://nationaltours.broadwayworld.com/ ... r-20120117
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Happy 13th Birthday, Zach!!

Enjoy the day!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Happy birthday, Zach!

You gave a great performance in Orlando!
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I saw Zach for the fourth time in Columbus last Sunday night. I agree with an earlier review of Zach's work that he is quite unique with his Billy. The first few times I saw Zach I was like okay.....okay....okay.....This past Sunday night I had my eyes opened all of sudden. I am guilty sometimes of expecting to much every show I see and forget that this is a learning process. Zach kicked some serious Billy rear last Sunday. The stage work (acting) was really strong.....his acting has left me wondering since last Sunday....he gave me a Billy that is SO different than the others......( a bit scared, a bit nervous, a bit not wanting to bother anyone) you know....it was VERY REAL.....Zach was a master on the stage for such a young actor.....When you have seen the show so many times ......the first tour....the Chicago...the Toronto ..... Broadway....and the second road show...you see a lot of actors that can take control with their dance ability....their ability to be funny....to tap....etc. etc....but the drama effect that young Mr. Manske displayed........I URGE all to see...Zach.....I told him after the show this very thing....he was so happy ....really happy to hear that.....Zach's facial expressions were so real it was kind of strange....in a good way....I found myself being transformed into the world of Billy....which is the magic of stage actor....Joseph had that effect on me in NYC as did Michael Dameski and the great Kulish......but Zach has really stepped his work up...he fiddles with his shirt.....he said the most REAL line I have ever heard....when he puts the soup mix down.....Mrs. W asked....what is that for? Zach looked up and said in the most DIFFERENT way...."I don't know".............that little moment...and many like it.....worked for me....Zach and his work as well as the rest of the cast....have made this show good and alive......I take my hat off and bow to young Mr. Manske....GREAT WORK Zach...proud of you
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I should add in a good way.....this was obvious to me from where I was sitting......when the show ended...and Zach left with his suitcase down the aisle.....he was crying BIG time....that was because Zach knew he had nailed the show....big time....those were tears of joy......I was so happy for him.....this show touches people in different ways.......the joy of seeing success come to one like in this situation is worth ten times the price of the ticket.....
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Nice observations, cincinnati. Enjoyed reading your perceptions.

One thing I've learned, in reading so many reviews of this show, is that the journey of each Billy is, indeed, a learning process. One needs to be patient with a new Billy and give them a chance to "be all that they can be". They all grow into the role. Rarely have I ever heard of a Billy who hasn't learned, over time, to really "Be Billy" by the time their Billy journey has ended. Sometimes, because of the level of quality in performances we've come to expect from this show -- equality due, I think, to the wonderful work of the creative team and to the hard work of the actors -- sometimes we fall into the trap of expecting a Tony Award level performance from a new Billy. Though they are well prepared before they debut -- it takes time to truly master this arduous, complex role. In Zach's case, we must remember that his debut came just this past January. Bravo to him, and to his 62 fellow actors who have played the role, for the wonderful jobs they've done in preparing for and evolving their portrayals.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I'm glad the production team has always allowed the Billys to bring some of their own ideas and personality into the part. I suspect there are some shows where the director might say, "Each of you has to say the lines in the exact same way, since the part was meant to be played a certain way. The ticket-buying public deserves to see the same show, regardless when they happen to buy a ticket to see it."

I'm sure many here would agree that the fact that each Billy is played slightly differently depending on the personality and talents of the actor playing him is one of the reasons that seeing the show with different boys playing Billy is so much fun - and insures that it never gets old.

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”