Michael Dameski--Billy: Oz, Broadway, & US Tour

Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Re: Michael Dameski

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Saw Michael this afternoon. He is impressive as Billy. I have seen 8 Billys and his Angry Dance is the most emotional in voice and body that I have seen. It had the audience stunned with its intensity. Will Try To do a full review.
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Saw Michael this afternoon. He is impressive as Billy. I have seen 8 Billys and his Angry Dance is the most emotional in voice and body that I have seen. It had the audience stunned with its intensity. Will Try To do a full review.
Oh wow! That's so marvelous that you got to see Michael in his Broadway debut. Sounds like he's going to be absolutely wonderful in the role. Please do write a review if you have the time! I, for one, would be absolutely ecstatic to read it!! Can't wait to hear more about his performance! :mrgreen:

x
M-D
Moby-Dick
Tall Boy

Post by Moby-Dick »

Moby-Dick wrote: Sounds like he's going to be absolutely wonderful in the role.
Excuse me, I meant already is wonderful in the role! Yay for the Aussie Billys!!
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Saw Michael this afternoon. He is impressive as Billy. I have seen 8 Billys and his Angry Dance is the most emotional in voice and body that I have seen. It had the audience stunned with its intensity. Will Try To do a full review.

That is quite the statement! :shock:
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Some great photos of Michael have just been posted in the gallery.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Love the cartwheel!
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

On the Friends forum following a great review by Geredith, Gavroche made a statement about the different ending of Angry Dance in NY and in OZ

http://www.friendsofbilly.com/FriendsF/ ... =20#p27096

I followed with a comment that I was disappointed with the NY version of Angry Dance and posted 2 links showin Michael Daminski a distant view but showing the more agressive dance and to me a more hostile and menacing police attitude . I found an official video of Trent and in the opening 2 minutes he shows the NY version of dropping to the ground at the front of the stage.The only other video I could find was Leon Cooke in the original UK version. There it seemed less dramatic without the screams and Leon also collapses on the floor at front of stage.

Might I suggest if you are interested you view Trent,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3pWOIOXy54
and then the Australian version which I believe is more dramatic.
http://www.youtube.com/user/elliotfan1# ... qVkN9LyGp0

I have said before how disappointed I was with the NY version Maybe this will show you why.
The screams of both Dayton and Michael are indicative to the different staging. The expletives have been
mostly eliminated for NY.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think the Billys are given options for how they feel their character would exit the stage after the dance. Different ones do different things. Some have even challenged the audience verbally. George Maguire used to yell angrily at them as though ready to fight all comers, "Come on! :evil: "

As for the intensity of the verbal anger during the dance, I have also heard that the Aussie Billys used many more expletives than either the London or US ones. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess you can ascribe it to different direction.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
billyforlife
Tall Boy

Post by billyforlife »

ERinVA wrote: As for the intensity of the verbal anger during the dance, I have also heard that the Aussie Billys used many more expletives than either the London or US ones. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess you can ascribe it to different direction.
I think it also has a lot to do with the audience...Aussies tend to swear a lot, and are a lot more laid back about it compared to the American audience. When I went to see it, I didn't see or speak to anyone who was offended by the language; I personally feel that without it, the show would not be nearly as authentic and believable. I also believe it brings a lot more to Angry Dance, which is why I (in my personal opinion, not saying any is better than another) prefer the Australian one as andrewcraig said. That scene is all about the intensity.
By the way andrewcraig, it must have been a mistake but the two videos you posted are the same, they're both Michael's Angry Dance.
"She must have been a very special woman..."
"No, she was just me mam."

Melbourne: Josh D, Josh WG
Broadway: Peter, Dayton
London: Harris, Redmand, Ali x3
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

billyforlife wrote:
ERinVA wrote: As for the intensity of the verbal anger during the dance, I have also heard that the Aussie Billys used many more expletives than either the London or US ones. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess you can ascribe it to different direction.
I think it also has a lot to do with the audience...Aussies tend to swear a lot, and are a lot more laid back about it compared to the American audience. When I went to see it, I didn't see or speak to anyone who was offended by the language; I personally feel that without it, the show would not be nearly as authentic and believable. I also believe it brings a lot more to Angry Dance, which is why I (in my personal opinion, not saying any is better than another) prefer the Australian one as andrewcraig said. That scene is all about the intensity.
By the way andrewcraig, it must have been a mistake but the two videos you posted are the same, they're both Michael's Angry Dance.
Sorry Billyforlife when you get old you do things like that
I have edited the post to include the correct link. This is an excellent, company I assume, clip of Trent.
When you are watching compare the agression of the police in the last 30 seconds of the Aust.Michael clip, the background sound effects are much louder, adding to the intensity. The correct link for Trent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3pWOIOXy54

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”