Spider-man - Turn Off The Dark

Chat about other shows here
Todd
Dad

Re: Spiderman - Turn Off The Dark

Post by Todd »

It does sort of remind me of a real-life "Producers," as I think people are flocking to see the show partly because of the reputation its gotten as a show business train wreck. No matter how many problems occur with it, ticket sales seem to be brisk as people are curious about the whole thing, I guess.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Good observation Todd. Even bad publicity is still good publicity.
:/
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

I would like to see this show on my April NYC trip.
Do you think I could get tickets from the TKTS booth or the box office on the day? :?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Current talk is that it is shutting down temporarily, so I wouldn't count on it being up and running, but if it is, you will probably be able to get a ticket once you're there.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

"The final preview performance before the shutdown will be April 17. Performances will be canceled from April 19-May 11, with previews resuming on May 12."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110312/ap_ ... spider_man
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Looks like you may be in luck, Muppet..... if they don't change their minds again.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

ERinVA wrote:Looks like you may be in luck, Muppet..... if they don't change their minds again.
Oh good, I will be in NYC on the 11th & 12th April so hope I will be able to catch a show.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Another injury rocks "Spiderman". This show seems to be cursed and yet it is playing to sold out houses.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110322/ap_ ... man_carpio
:/
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

WOW! WOW!! and even more - WOW!!!

I absolutely loved, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this show!!

This is now in my top three favourite shows ever, alongside Billy Elliot and Les Miserables. If this came to London, I predict that Muppet will be broke! Words cannot express how AWESOME, breathtaking and spectacular this show is. The audience like me, gasped with awe and wonder at the incredible effects and theatricality. The way Spiderman and Green Goblin swing through the auditorium and onto platforms in each level, with such perfection and precision is an outstanding feat of technical genius. When 'Arachni' (a kind of HUGE spider goddess creature) closely swept across audience members heads I was (wickedly) amused observing the terror and looks of horror on peoples faces (especially those scared of spiders!).
and how they clutched at their partners/friends arms for comfort. There were lots of kids (and big kids like me) in the audience and it was wonderful seeing the looks of awe and amazement as Spidey swung above our heads.

The rock score by Bono and the Edge was generally good, although not particularly catchy. Weak songs in my opinion were those of Arachni and her chorus.

The set / staging and costumes were as convincingly comic strip in their style as one could get. Julie Taymor as Director and part designer is in my opinion a genius!

Maybe they need to work on improving safety, and perhaps re-writing one or two songs, but as far as I'm concerned they should leave the show as it is - OUTSTANDING!

I was pleased when I read we had the alternate Peter Parker / Spiderman, as it was no other than our very own British boy, Matthew James Thomas (who incidentally was in the film 'Billy Elliot' as the boy who got punched in the RBS dressing room!). Matthew has certainly now got an impressive CV/Resume and was brilliant as nerdy Parker and cool as Spidey. Nice to meet him at the SD, get a picture with him and an autograph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_James_Thomas

Long may this show continue; in one way I hope it comes to the West End, but for my bank balances sake - I hope it doesn't! If the critics give it negative reviews then they are fools - as the audience of predominantly families with their 6-13 year old sons (probably #1 target group) as well as ageing grown up boys like myself (ex-Spidey fans as a child and #2 target group) were mesmerised throughout!

10/10! Theatrical perfection of the highest degree!

Super cool!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

You saw one of the last shows that will bear Julie Taymor's stamp, Muppet. They fired her, you know. 8-)

You mentioned the spectacular effects (flying, etc.) and the music, but my question is, "Was there any plot, or was it all about hanging by a thread?"
Ellen

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”