Love Never Dies

Chat about other shows here
Muppet
Michael

Re: Love Never Dies

Post by Muppet »

Dancer wrote:To me some are better as they improve the sense and flow of the show, whilst others were perhaps unecessary. At least all the big numbers are still there!
I saw the changes for the first time at the weekend. I also wanted to see Ramin & Sierra one last time before they finished. I was one of those (unlike many theatre critics) who loved the show and didn't feel as if any changes really needed to be made and so went expectantly, having really enjoyed my first three trips and looking forward excitedly to my fourth.

To be honest I actually left a little disappointed!! I felt the story flowed a little better, but didn't think the score flowed anywhere near as well and seemed a bit fractured. I'm glad all the projections were kept, but didn't like the fact that the show now started with no overture, but with the best song in the score - 'Til I Hear You Sing'. The slightly revised ending was okay, but basically the whole show lacked the emotional intensity it did for me the first three times and I left feeling 'nothing' whatsover, except a tad short changed.

Ramin & Sierra do have AWESOME voices and I'm glad I had the opportunity of hearing them again. On the night we had Jack Costello (ex Nipper in 'Oliver') for Act 1 and then Thomas Celik for Act 2. I knew Jack was in the show and he has a great voice and acting ability, but unfortunately he does not look anywhere near 10 years of age. Thomas looked a bit older and again did well, but still I feel they have recruited these new 'Gustaves' a bit too young.

I don't think I need to go and see this show again.

Shame, I wish the critics hadn't been so harsh and that ALW was strong enough to leave 'good enough' alone!
06nanderson
Audience Member

Love Never Dies - Ramin Karimloo - To Continue?

Post by 06nanderson »

The latest talk on the discussion boards etc - is that Ramin Karimloo (The Phantom), currentley appearing in 'Love Never Dies' (and to leave with the rest of the main cast on 5th March) will be continuing with the role, and alternating with Tam (U/S) and that Ramin will be doing 6, out of 8 shows per week ;)

Anyone else heard anything allong the lines of this? 8-)
06nanderson
Audience Member

Post by 06nanderson »

The new 2011 (March) 'Love Never Dies' cast have been officially announced: :D

Ramin Karimloo as The Phantom (To stay on for at least another 6 months)
Celia Graham as Christine
Liz Robertson as Mme Giry (To stay on in the role)
Haley Flaherty as Meg Giry
David Thaxton as Raoul
Adam Pearce as Squelch (To stay on in the role)
Tracey Penn as Fleck
Charles Brunton as Gangle

The company also includes Nick Blair, Dale Branston, Abigail Brodie, Kieran Brown, Nick Crossley, Natalie Edmunds, Chris Gage, Lucy Van Gasse, Mirela Golinska, Daniel Gourlay, Simon Ray Harvey, Grace Holdstock, Lucinda Lawrence, Vanessa Leagh-Hicks, Louisa Lydell, Lisa Mathieson, David McMullan, Colette Morrow, Ashley Nottingham, Mira Ormala, Rae Piper, Alexa-Jayne Robinson, Andrew Rothwell, Simon Storey, Tim Walton and Zara Warren.

http://www.loveneverdies.com/latest-new ... -new-cast/
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Saw this show for the first time last night. Felt it was fantastic. A wonderful and colourful entertaining experience founded on an excellent score (can't really go wrong with Lloyd Webber), excellent hi-tech wizzardry with the scenery and setting, superbly talented cast especially the Phantom and Christine and a great Gustav. Will definately be going to see this again.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Really glad you liked this show, David. I think it's one of those shows that you either love or hate. I'm most definitely in the former category! I went to see it again last Tuesday (15th Feb) and had middle seats in stalls row E which gave an excellent view, although to fully appreciate the projections you need to be a little further back. In the show you saw on Monday, who played the key roles?
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Dancer wrote:Really glad you liked this show, David. I think it's one of those shows that you either love or hate. I'm most definitely in the former category! I went to see it again last Tuesday (15th Feb) and had middle seats in stalls row E which gave an excellent view, although to fully appreciate the projections you need to be a little further back. In the show you saw on Monday, who played the key roles?
Phantom - Ramin Harimloo
Christine - Sierra Boggess
Raoul - Joseph Millson
Mdme Giry - Janet Mooney
Meg - Summer Strallen

Gustav - n/k

Want to say that that souvenir brochure (although expensive) is beautifully crafted and constructed with fabulous pics and printed on quality stock - well worth the money.

Not a big fand of the Adelphi Theatre though, I was sat in the second row of the Dress Circle- very uncomfortable - no room for my legs and the seat were very narrow - no where to put your arms either. Thank God I went on a weekday and for the second half could choose a seat nearby with a little more room.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

burtond wrote:Saw this show for the first time last night. Felt it was fantastic. A wonderful and colourful entertaining experience founded on an excellent score (can't really go wrong with Lloyd Webber), excellent hi-tech wizzardry with the scenery and setting, superbly talented cast especially the Phantom and Christine and a great Gustav. Will definately be going to see this again.
Oh, I am pleased you liked it David! I always feel a little bit worried when I make a recommendation, that someone won't be as enthusiastic as I am about it!
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Muppet.

Just to say I too am a huge fan of the show. I was critical at the start about the lack of storyline and complete lack of humour, but lets be honest the songs are sheer perfection and the sets, models and lighting are stunning. The show has been simplified to its detriment, no matter what the issues I feel it should have been left well alone. I will be back many times this year and I have to confess to having seen it as often as Billy so far this year. Devil Take the Hindmost - brilliant. OOOOOhhaa

Alex
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

The new reworked Love Never Dies opens in Melbourne in 2 weeks. As I have not seen the original I wonder what the changes might be. There was talk of a protest group in London who might be coming to Melbourne.

What is that all about? Is there any fan planning to visit Melbourne, that might be interested in meeting.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

AJ HOLDEN wrote:Muppet.

Just to say I too am a huge fan of the show. I was critical at the start about the lack of storyline and complete lack of humour, but lets be honest the songs are sheer perfection and the sets, models and lighting are stunning. The show has been simplified to its detriment, no matter what the issues I feel it should have been left well alone. I will be back many times this year and I have to confess to having seen it as often as Billy so far this year. Devil Take the Hindmost - brilliant. OOOOOhhaa

Alex
With you on that Alex - a truly wonderful show with music from Lloyd Webber at its very best. I have seen it five times now and intend to go back many more too. See you on Thursday at BETM Alex.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”