Michael Dameski--Billy: Oz, Broadway, & US Tour

andrewcraig
Tony

Re: Michael Dameski

Post by andrewcraig »

Australia largest selling daily newspaper, The Herald sun Melbourne features an article on Michaels Daminskis debut on Broadway today 3 February. Quoting heavily from Steven Daldry's remarks before the show, and drawing on reviews that look familiar, it was the first print media report I have seen.

Well done Michael.

PS Genevieve Lemon and her landing the part of Mrs W in the West End in June also got a mention
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Do you have an online link for the article?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

ERinVA wrote:Do you have an online link for the article?
David-au has scanned and posted to friends

http://friendsofbilly.com/FriendsF/view ... 107#p27107
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks. :D It's interesting that the article says there's a rumor that Genevieve Lemon may take over on B'way in June. The last we read about her was that she was blocked by Actors' Equity from coming to Chicago, but that she would likely go to London. Joanna Riding may well leave the London show in June, so that would be the right time frame for Lemon to step into the role there. I would expect Kate Hennig's Broadway contract to be for a year from when she started in October, but I could certainly be wrong.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

andrewcraig wrote:Australia largest selling daily newspaper, The Herald sun Melbourne features an article on Michaels Daminskis debut on Broadway today 3 February. Quoting heavily from Steven Daldry's remarks before the show, and drawing on reviews that look familiar, it was the first print media report I have seen.

Well done Michael.

PS Genevieve Lemon and her landing the part of Mrs W in the West End in June also got a mention

More then a bit familiar, its a quote from Music fanatics review here!!! The Forum breaks into the main press :lol:

Steven
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Just noticed the PS in the quote box above. The article actually says Broadway, not the West End. 8-) Just wanted to make sure my last post was correct. ;)
Ellen

andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

moby-dick posted a link to Kate Hennig blog where she refers to Michael and Phil

Here is he comment on Michael and the OZ Billys[2]

This week we had another Broadway debut: that of Mike Dameski. Holy crap! I think there’s a Billy Tree in Australia and they are just plucking these boys off it. Mike comes to us from Sydney where he played Billy in the Aussie production, along side superstar Dayton Tavares. Oh, Mikey. What a premiere. A sweet, gentle boy (at least so far... they’re all a bit quiet at the start... though Liam and Dayton are now warming-up to Lady Gaga, or rapping as they limber their adductors across the long aisle of the balcony... and Trent is constantly trying to capture a vocal riff from Christina Aguilara during ballet barre, much to the bemusement of the adults present... he is tenacious...) The thing that gets me about these boys: not only do they have uncanny skills as dancers, singers and actors, they have the aplomb to create their own unique performance of this role. Now, I realise they are not out there alone: behind them are years of training, dedication on the part of families and teachers, and finally an exacting rehearsal process that they have each been through. But at the end of the day (literally, as their day starts at 9am with tutoring and goes until they are finished signing autographs at 11:15pm), it is these little men who are strutting their stuff across the Broadway stage to the adulation and excitement of so many. And Mikey had me and 1400 others weeping with delight. I say again: holy crap!

Kate what a great word picture of back stage with the Billys.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

andrewcraig wrote: I have said before how disappointed I was with the NY version of Angry Dance. Maybe this will show you why.
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but the Aussie Angry Dance actually reminds me of the New York version . . . at least more than it reminds me of the London version. The choreography seems somewhat similar with all the miners and police running across the stage, lifting Billy up and carrying him around, etc. Those who don't like the New York choreography normally point to this aspect and say it's "too busy." There is something to be said for the London version of giving Billy the stage mostly to himself save for the riot police with their shields.

I'm afraid I have to say I prefer the music that they use for this scene in London and New York. I like the use of the heavy electric guitar to add to the angry atmosphere. The brassy arrangement from Australia almost sounds more "showy" than angry to me. I also like the addition they made to the New York Angry Dance of having the video of Margaret Thatcher showing across the riot shields at one point. Very creative. And I missed not seeing the crash of the riot shields on the stage to coincide with the "Solidarity" reprise in the music that's used in both London and New York.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

You aren't losing your mind, Todd. 8-)
Ellen

Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Me of all people to be quoted in a news paper. :lol: :lol: All of you have inspired me with your passion for the show and cast.
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”