Closing????

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Closing????

Post by kport »

BEtourfan wrote:
shimmyshimmy wrote:
kport wrote: I know a streamlined, traveling version of BETM can work, even worldwide. Just make it rational in scale, limit it to 1200-2000 seat venue; and don't try to replicate the London/NYC concept.
I went to about 30 shows in seven different cities on the tour ... the audiences were all enthusiastic in their applause and ovations. I also thought the houses were pretty full but perhaps not enough. I'm pretty sure the producers have a pretty clear idea up front of expected revenues/expenses, i.e., cast and crew, travel costs, how many tickets at a particular price have to be sold, etc. Not sure what is meant by a streamlined version, but I was very pleased with how this tour production was presented--can't imagine it on a smaller scale, but that's just me.
I am glad you enjoyed the shows. Obviously the producers/bean counters did not have a clear idea about revenues or expenditures...hence this would not be happening now. What I cannot understand is the lack of any apparent effort to counter this before hitting the buffers. It seems as if NYC/London pulled the plug on an otherwise brilliantly run production..based on a spreadsheet. I am sure it can work. It might mean a break until the Christmas rush, but I cannot see the production resuming then with a better business plan.

On another note, I understand your reticence over streamlining things - my thought would be to scale down the staging and props so that 1200-2000 seat venues can accommodate it, and then aim for 65-90% houses. Failing that, I suggest you look into what the Billy Youth Theatre production is the UK have achieved on a dime, and see that this story can be stripped down and still be vibrant, entertaining and wonderful. The economically viable production may be somewhere between the Broadway version, and the Youth Theatre.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

shimmyshimmy wrote:The potential costs of breaking contracts with various theatres etc. would have all be calculated by their lawyers. So would everything else, I'm sure.

But if I book a trip tomorrow and incur airfare and other non-refundable charges, and they KNOW right now that this show they're advertising will not happen or will be some very different reconstituted version, then I'd hold them responsible. Maybe it's an unlikely occurrence as St. Louis is the only place apparently selling tickets. And if they are selling tickets, they should stop.
Good luck with that. I doubt if any condition of sale of a ticket to the show implies any liability for travel there. There are many precedents against your claim. You would have to prove that they know the show will close (cast Twitter comments don't count). A show can be closed for one performance due to weather, power failure, or some other reason. And by blogging here, you have acknowledge the possibility of the show closing. If they announce the show will close, and a ticket agent still sells tickets in bad faith , you might have a claim against him, but probably only for the face value of the ticket.

Lawyers make money out of such cases, but you and I lose. Such is life!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

That the Tour has not made an official announcement, and tickets are still being sold, and cast members are leaking info about a closing, makes my Machiavellian minds work overdrive!

This seems about as confusing as the debt limit talks....
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

kport wrote:That the Tour has not made an official announcement, and tickets are still being sold, and cast members are leaking info about a closing, makes my Machiavellian minds work overdrive!

Do you think the Tour may not actually be closing?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

shimmyshimmy wrote:The potential costs of breaking contracts with various theatres etc. would have all be calculated by their lawyers. So would everything else, I'm sure.

But if I book a trip tomorrow and incur airfare and other non-refundable charges, and they KNOW right now that this show they're advertising will not happen or will be some very different reconstituted version, then I'd hold them responsible. Maybe it's an unlikely occurrence as St. Louis is the only place apparently selling tickets. And if they are selling tickets, they should stop.

I cannot imagine that any show that goes out on tour (not just BETM) does not have an "escape clause" in their contract that is offered to the venues which says that if at any point the tour is deemed to be not doing well enough to remain financially viable, it reserves the right to cancel future dates from that point onward without penalty.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Oh, I can, Ellen. It is SOP.

The amount of penalty would be in the contract, but there would be one, especially this close to the date.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

BEtourfan wrote:
kport wrote:That the Tour has not made an official announcement, and tickets are still being sold, and cast members are leaking info about a closing, makes my Machiavellian minds work overdrive!

Do you think the Tour may not actually be closing?
I don't know. The lack of information from the production company (even to stakeholders) indicates an announcement is not ready. I see the 21 July notice to the cast with a degree of interest - a one month 'notice' given to honor contracts in case the production cannot be saved. This puts the production company in a very strong position to renegotiate every aspect if the show, from theater royalties to the added expenses incurred in looking after the kids. From everything I have read and heard, the company has lavished money on this production - unreasonably so, considering the box office take. That may have to change if it is to go on, which means renegotiating all contracts, from theaters to cast to crew to transport. That tickets are still being sold indicates that at least one theater is still under contract, and probably more. This is hardly over - until, as Nicholas Sipes twittered on the 21sr: 'THE FAT LADY HAS SUNG! and a formal announcement is made.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

kport wrote:Oh, I can, Ellen. It is SOP.

The amount of penalty would be in the contract, but there would be one, especially this close to the date.
Excuse me, but what is SOP? And yes, I can see that certain penalties would be specifically stipulated depending on how far out the beginning date of the engagement was from the date of the decision to default. Beyond a certain point (say 90 days, 6 months, etc.) there might be no penalty.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
muck912
Tall Boy

Post by muck912 »

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks. It's always best to use words instead of abbreviations that some people (like me, for instance :? ) might not understand.
Ellen

Return to “International Tour Archive”