Changes to BE NYC to remove profanity

Yorkie
Miner

Re: Changes to BE NYC to remove profanity

Post by Yorkie »

kport wrote: In general the British do not allow genetically modified foods (but this is changing) and tries to restrict the use of growth hormones (but not antibiotics). To each his own, but to me a real grass fed Angus steak trumps a corn-fattened hormone injected mass produced one from the US.
GM is banned by the EU (thank goodness) but the EU is under huge pressure from the US (under the auspices of free trade) to remove the ban. Of course everybody's favourite nasty party, The Conservatives, under the pay of the big agro corporations (who basically bribe key Tories with nice fat directorships) are campaigning to remove the ban........

Your vicar sounds like a real decent guy, I wouldn't mind sharing a pint of Thumper with you guys some day :D On the topic of religion I have always wondered why the lyrics of B2B and the copious taking of the Lords name in vain doesn't stir up some of that religious fervour you guys give all us Limeys a chuckle about. I mean, it is somewhat evolutionary in its message.......
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The scene in 'Solidarity' where Billy shouts 'effing b@st@rds' (I use the clean version here) is utterly realistic
I believe you must be referring to Angry Dance, as Billy doesn't shout anything during Solidarity.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

ERinVA wrote:
The scene in 'Solidarity' where Billy shouts 'effing b@st@rds' (I use the clean version here) is utterly realistic
I believe you must be referring to Angry Dance, as Billy doesn't shout anything during Solidarity.
He does shout something like that part way through Solidarity when the police form a line to stop the miners getting to the (unseen) scabs. Billy gets hoisted on to the shoulders of some of the men and flicks the strike breakers the V's (British equivalent of the bird).

#edit# just trying to visualise this and I'm now thinking he doesn't get raised on shoulders but stands behind on a chair. The police line breaks up and dad asks where he has been going on Saturday mornings..... I'm sure he shouts out at the scabs during that little cameo.
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

Yorkie wrote:Why do Americans struggle so badly with British accents?
I suspect some of the bias of some Americans toward foreign accents stem from the backlash against the widely unpopular action going back several decades of U.S. corporations moving their customer and technical support call centers offshore to countries such as India. I often hear from coworkers and friends comments such as "it's no use calling for help; you can't understand a word they say." What I interpret such comments to mean is an insular and imperialistic attitude of "they aren't American and they talk funny, so why should I have to try to understand them?" Personally, I find I can usually understand the agent on the other end of the line at these offshore call centers. In those instances where I don't understand something, I simply ask the person to repeat the comment, which usually solves the comprehension issue. (Perhaps the second time around my ear is more attuned to the particular words being spoken in the agent's accent.) But, having to ask someone to repeat a comment isn't limited to those with foreign accepts, on occasion I've had to ask someone on a local call to repeat something they said. For whatever reason, some of the denizens of the mid-Atlantic region of the United States that I live in (Southeastern Virginia) talk as if they have "mush" in their mouths.
Yorkie wrote: It always cracks me up when I read US reviews of British tv shows and DVD's - the number of people who have to use sub-titles to understand it is amazing.
From the first time I saw BETM on Broadway I had no trouble understanding the modified toned down Geordie accent despite being one of those Americans who can at times have difficulty comprehending certain (but not all) foreign to me English dialects. For me this comprehension difficulty is most often manifested when the dialogue is extremely "soft" toned, what I refer to as a "muddled" sound. When delivered in a similar soft or muddled tone, I can also have occasional difficulty with recorded American dialogue in films, television programs, audio clips, etc
Yorkie wrote:Get your ear round these clips:
1st up real Geordie (this is a UK chat show that scrapes the bottom of the barrel of UK society in a poor homage to Jerry Springer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fkvqNai ... re=related
Now for a bit of Yorkshire me old love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3ieNhEsDY
For the most part, I had no trouble understanding the males in either clip; because of the softer voices I did have some difficultly with some of the comments of the woman in the first video and the little girl in the second. Interestingly, as I often find the case, when I switched from speakers to headphones, the tone changed just enough for almost all of the two females' dialogue to be understandable. To me, it's simply a matter of making an effort and doing what I reasonably can to understand foreign accents in things I have an interest in, be it a play, film, television program, online clip, etc.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Yorkie wrote:
ERinVA wrote:
He does shout something like that part way through Solidarity when the police form a line to stop the miners getting to the (unseen) scabs. Billy gets hoisted on to the shoulders of some of the men and flicks the strike breakers the V's (British equivalent of the bird).

#edit# just trying to visualise this and I'm now thinking he doesn't get raised on shoulders but stands behind on a chair. The police line breaks up and dad asks where he has been going on Saturday mornings..... I'm sure he shouts out at the scabs during that little cameo.
UK version of Solidarity...that part ends completely different in the USA.
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

kport wrote: ...replace the Small boy/boom box intro with a two-three minute black and white newsreel film shown that links with the opening number, explaining the historical context...
Kport, I don't know if you knew this (and therefore intended your comments to be rhetorical) or not. The opening you describe, Small Boy climbing onto the stage as a black and white video giving a history of the miners union and the strike plays on screen is the way BETM Broadway begins each performance.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

And so does London.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

StevenKing wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
ERinVA wrote:

UK version of Solidarity...that part ends completely different in the USA.
What? Bloody hell, you lot have already ruined it then ;)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Billy does participate in the yelling, but I don't think I've ever heard him yell anything except "Scab! Scab!"
Ellen

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The Telegraph weighs in on changes to the Broadway show:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea ... alect.html
"Something like 10 pages of new dialogue are going into the show,” says one respected theatre critic. “'Bangers’ will become 'sausages’, 'crikey’ will become 'you’re kidding’.”
Frankly, I think this is a bunch of hooey! :roll:

First, who is this "respected theatre critic"?
Second, how would a critic know what's being rewritten anyway?
Third, no version of the show that I have seen on either side of the Atlantic uses "bangers" or "crikey" in the dialog.

As I said, "Hooey!"
Ellen

Return to “Broadway Archive”