July 2009 - UK Reviews

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: July 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by patc »

Saturday Evening 18th July

Fox, Tom, Francesca

I could scarcely believe my luck when I saw on the board that Tom was set to play Michael with Fox as Billy. There was a slight doubt, of course. At the matinee Fox had been on the board as Billy at 2.10pm but it was Ollie who came through the door so it was a question of wait and see who came out on the bike. It WAS Tom who appeared and we were all set for a stunner.

The big audience (most boxes seemed to be occupied) was very enthusiastic and gave Small Boy (the brilliant Eliot, who is working very hard at the moment and must be raking in the cash :D ) a rapturous reception to get the evening going. BTW, isn't it interesting that Small Boy is the first onto the stage at the beginning and the last onto the stage at the end. What an honour.

With the cast in peak form the show sparkled along and the anticipation of a mouth-watering encounter between Fox and Tom in Expressing was foremost in mind on this special night. And what an encounter it was. The total joy in watching these two brilliant stars performing together was matched only by the joy and fun you could see that THEY were having being on stage together. PURE MAGIC. And there was more magic in the Winter Scene with Tom milking the crowd unashamedly with his tutu and raising the roof with the Nutcracker. Everyone who has seen Tom playing Billy knows how he does the Letter. I'll leave it to your imagination as to how he did the final curtain scene as Billy departed. It was just devastating.

I watched all of this from A9 in the Dress Circle and was seeing and hearing somewhat more from that vantage point. In particular, the dancers' footwork, the floor lighting effects and something else that is special from my own interest, the more equalised sound of the music and the piano work of the MD that I mentioned a few reviews ago. Watching as well as hearing those beautiful little piano melodies and variations being played was a treat all in itself. Another thing. The cover music that replaces the accordion in Deep Into The Ground was much more audible to my ears than from the front stalls.
As just one example Angry Dance from there was just unbelievable. You can see everything all at the same time with no head movements required. When the very angry Fox ran up the stairs in leaps and bounds and the music and powerful tap started the lighting seemed to change with every angry tap. The lighting and shadows on the floor and the back wall gelled together into a kaleidescope. Figures and shadows running across the stage momentarily interrupted the symmetry and then Fox was back down at floor level threatening to run amok. More light circles on the stage for him to power his way onto. The roll to the roof of the hut which is lit suddenly by a rectangle of light of the same dimensions, the rise of the hut - and Tony - the fierce battle with the miners forced to run away. Then the arrival of the so-far all-conquering Riot Squad who head for the shields while Fox follows the light circles. The music which has been pounding along anyway takes to a new level as Fox takes on the Squad. The red mist descends. This is where the MD lifted the whole bloody lot into the realms of super-greatness, his arms, hands and finger movements dragging every last drop of energy from the orchestra players and the Squad with their smashing batons whilst, in between, the mercurial Fox defied their every efforts with his awesome powerful feet until he sees the Squad and the music off and falls to the floor with a heart-rending screech. Maybe someday the glass front of the orchestra pit will be removed and we can see the players in action in this mind-blowing scene. I'd pay extra to see that :D

On the way out to the foyer during the interval I had a brief conversation with a couple who were seeing the show for the first time. They said that they were just stunned by what they had just witnessed. They had expected a high standard of dancing and singing but they could never have anticipated the amazing acting by the two boys playing Billy and Michael.

As usual, Fox's Electricity (and smile) set the audience aglow but from where I sat the black board was not visible so it was an extraordinary sight to see the astounding wall flip with no wall. From somewhere behind, amidst all the applause, I heard a voice saying "How did he do that?" :D

It is so unfair of me not to mention the other cast members in detail because they put on another fantastic show to remember but, in this review, I wanted to highlight the difference watching the show from on high and also making a big fuss of what was a very unusual and special pairing of Fox and Tom that might not happen again.

Just a few other comments. In the front of curtain scene Trevor for a change mentioned "Oliver! the bloody musical" and Fox seemed to surprise him by calling number 83 instead of the usual 88 which may have been a private joke between them.

Pat
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

My experience with Tom as Michael, when he put on his tutu, the audience were gasping afraid of any "wardrobe malfunction" if you know what I mean....
When he says goodbye on his bike, he is crying (acting or not). Tom was a showman as Michael, I am glad I was fortunate enough to see him and I can't wait to see him as Billy too.

At my last show, Ollie being Billy, the number extracted was 84, the joke was about Wicked and the person picked was from row b, number 12 I guess.
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

After seeing Tom's excellent performance as Billy last month, I'm not surprised that he's able to shift gears and fall comfortably into Michael's part. He seems quite the master craftsman when it comes to acting, so I can see him being able to pull off the humor required for that part, as well as the pathos at the end of the show.

Interesting that Tom remains the only Billy to have begun his run in the show playing a different part (Michael, which he did for the first couple of weeks he was in the show a year ago.) I'm sure when they've been doing the show as long as he and Fox have been, they probably know each other's lines pretty well at this point. Still surprised they don't accidentally call each other by the wrong name !
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Todd wrote:Interesting that Tom remains the only Billy to have begun his run in the show playing a different part (Michael, which he did for the first couple of weeks he was in the show a year ago.) I'm sure when they've been doing the show as long as he and Fox have been, they probably know each other's lines pretty well at this point. Still surprised they don't accidentally call each other by the wrong name !
Yes, Todd, you are correct about Tom playing Michael before. I was there with a few other Forum members when Tom played Billy (with Tanner and Layton, respectively) in both shows on 22nd November last but that was in his very early days. Saturday night last was a whole new priceless ballgame that will long live in the memory. I, too, was wondering if they might use the wrong names but, as far as I could hear, they didn't :D

There was one famous occasion last year at the point just before Billy gets home when the RBS acceptance letter has arrived and is on the table. Just before Billy's entrance through the door we heard Michael saying instead of "See Ya, Billy", "See Ya, (real name of Billy)". I can't remember which two were on that day.

Pat
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

So who is the taller of the 2? :)
x
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

chocchipcookie26 wrote:So who is the taller of the 2? :)
"I've been with these boys for weeks and months now and I haven't even noticed" :D

Pat
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Hahaha OK :)
Fantastic review, i would have paid a lott of money to see that show.. how many times have you seen Fox now?!
x
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

chocchipcookie26 wrote: how many times have you seen Fox now?!
27 times of which 17 were Thursday matinees :D (That includes two occasions when he came on as a substitute).

BTW, just another tidbit from Sat. Evening. After the black curtain had dropped on Small Boy and had just been cleared away I noticed a rogue miner's helmet just near the front edge of the stage. Don't know where it came from, though. One of the miners picked it up a minute or so later and deposited it under a chair.

Pat
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

patc wrote:
There was one famous occasion last year at the point just before Billy gets home when the RBS acceptance letter has arrived and is on the table. Just before Billy's entrance through the door we heard Michael saying instead of "See Ya, Billy", "See Ya, (real name of Billy)". I can't remember which two were on that day.

Pat
I know Lewis was the Michael who said the line, but I can't remember who the Billy was.
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

SatinandLace wrote:
patc wrote:

Pat
I know Lewis was the Michael who said the line, but I can't remember who the Billy was.
This is driving me crazy. I was there that show and for the life of me I can't remember who it was. It could have been Fox ... or was it Tom. The more I think about it it could have been Josh ........ or Layton :D :D :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”