July 2009 - UK Reviews

hammy
Ballet Girl

Re: July 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by hammy »

I deffinutly remember someone saying that it was Fox but i can't remember which Michael it was.
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
janicep
Audience Member

Post by janicep »

I was there on that occassion and I seem to remember it was Fox and Lewis
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

janicep wrote:I was there on that occassion and I seem to remember it was Fox and Lewis
Yes, having thought further about it I think I'll back you on that.

Pat
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

Sorry to be a bit off topic here, while I was in London at the VPT, I bought the 40 pounds Limited Edition Photographic Book by David Scheinmann, "Billy Elliot Through the Lens".

Now I had time to look at it and I tell you is worth every penny. It's a fantastic journey trough the days of the BETM from the first days of rehearsals up to the first night.

It has unseen pictures of the original cast. These guys work made BETM the success that this show is today.
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Yes you are right pexcornel. It is indeed a wonderful book.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
daff55
Small Boy

Post by daff55 »

I was also at Saturday nights performance and I agree completely with previous reviews. It was a wonderful show in front of an enthusiastic audience. The pairing of Fox and Tom was a huge treat, two Billys for the price of one. :D

The delightful Francesca put in a remarkable performance. The delivery of her lines and actions prompted many laughs from the audience.

The Ballet girls lit up the stage as usual with their energetic performance.
Elliot, small boy, is so cute and funny.

Did anyone else notice in the emotional scene between Billys' Dad and Tony, the real tears running down Tonys face - incredible.

Thanks for another moving performance by the whole cast. Tremendous show.
troscapole
Small Boy

Post by troscapole »

I was also at the 18th of July performance and could not have reviewed this better than patc. absolutey brilliant show, both Joe and Craig in the "he could be a star" scene was as always moving and powerful.
Fox interacting with Tom so well and as usual Fox giving that cheeky smile after the brilliant solo dance scene "Electricity"
I love the angry dance , I was also enjoying Tom as michael giving his own little touches to the role , and was spellbound at the end when he appeared to be crying as the curtain begins to come down and as he say's "see you Billy", wow! Tom is such a great actor and dancer he is fantastic!!!as michael and amazing as Billy!!!
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

pexcornel wrote:Sorry to be a bit off topic here, while I was in London at the VPT, I bought the 40 pounds Limited Edition Photographic Book by David Scheinmann, "Billy Elliot Through the Lens".

Now I had time to look at it and I tell you is worth every penny. It's a fantastic journey trough the days of the BETM from the first days of rehearsals up to the first night.

It has unseen pictures of the original cast. These guys work made BETM the success that this show is today.
I have started a thread on this subject, as I know some of our new members may not have heard about this, so anyone who has this book, please provide your feedback as well.

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 548#p10548
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday matinee 23rd July

Tanner, George, Annabelle
Gillian as Mrs. W

Well, a few minutes into this afternoon's show you didn't have to be the most perspicacious person present to know you were in the presence of greatness with the return of Tanner to the Thursmat shift after an absence of over three months. Boy, has he been missed. This was unbelievable stuff from beginning to end.

Magnificent acting, voice as pure as ever but "it was the dancin'" that took your breath away. The first spin across the stage in Solidarity in front of the ensemble was performed the full width of the stage and had such power and style that you begged for an action replay just to be sure you did actually see it and it wasn't a mirage. A few moments later the pirouettes and final pose at the end of the number confirmed that this was the real deal you were observing. Even at this point the audience was already going wild.

After a brilliantly danced Boogie with Gillian (and with Sean Kingsley back looking fit as a fiddle, well, an accordion) I couldn't wait for Angry Dance. The words powerful and precision must also be included because every step and tap along the way was refined teeth-grinding stuff.

The Dream Ballet with Barnaby was as good as it gets. Every movement like a well oiled twin machine. The excitement was palpable as the time for Electricity drew near. Tanner and Dad on the chairs. We're nearly there. The singing begins and reaches the crescendo and "I'm Free". The magnificent music that accompanies the ballet Electricity beats its way forward and Tanner is on his way. Someone please tell me that what followed has been (legally) recorded for posterity. Forget Wayne Sleep, Rudolf Nureyev and even poor old Fred Ormsley. The sheer beauty, power, precision of the foot-perfect Electricity (and which included the most exquisite pirouettes and high arm movements) that was danced by Tanner today beats them all hands down. Needless to say it ended with the most thunderous applause that even brought a couple of (tiny) smiles from Tanner.

The excitement of seeing Tanner back in business was, naturally, the main talking point after the show but let us not forget we had the Genius George to thank for giving us both an hilarious and serious Michael - the final curtain being particularly harrowing - (BTW, I got the impression that some of his own special fans might have been there today :) ), a fantastic Ballet Group, Annabelle as her cheeky self and the usual top-drawer performances from everyone else. I thought that Gillian, standing in for Kate, was brilliant as Mrs. W.

Attendances continue to be huge at the VPT. Apart from the Tony successes I'm sure the word is spreading that the current cast are turning in fantastic shows night after night. Get ye there asap.

Pat
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

patc wrote: you didn't have to be the most perspicacious person present to know you were in the presence of greatness
Sounds like you've been proudly practicing proper phonetics at Sunderland Poly, Pat ! ;)

Return to “Reviews Archive”