Changes to BE NYC to remove profanity

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changes to BE NYC to remove profanity

Post by ERinVA »

I watched Billy Elliot on dvd again the other night and was a bit surprised to discover that there is actually very little swearing in the film. The F-word may only be used once or twice. Instead of that, in most cases, Gary Lewis as Jackie Elliot uses "frickin' ," as, for example, in the conversation with Billy about his doing ballet (bally). Mrs. Wilkinson, as played by Julie Walters, does not mention the "British f**king class system," and Billy does not react with anything like "f**king hell" when he first sees Michael in a dress. Instead, he asks, "Whose dress is that?" But I think he actually does say it later in the scene. Michael uses the word "sh*te" in the scene where Billy is entering the boxing hall. Grandma does not swear, and neither does George. Mr. Braithwate does tell Billy that he "looks like a right w**ker," and Debbie does offer to show Billy her "f*nny," but that's about it. The most profane dialogue belongs to Tony, and even he has relatively little swearing, although he does call Billy a "little tw*t" for having messed with his records. So if the movie can get by with very little swearing, which it does, I don't really see why the show can't do the same.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

StevenKing wrote:Im certain George calls small boy a git and i THINK bloody is used too...in usa of course.
Yes, to both. When Billy comes out of the audition, he says, "It was a waste of bloody time!" I think this is used on both sides of the Atlantic.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

StevenKing wrote:Im certain George calls small boy a git and i THINK bloody is used too...in usa of course.
I believe George says, "lazy little git" (at least in the Tour production).
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Yep ur right bloody used by billy in both...and used by Mickeal in christmas scene in usa not uk(fbomb there). I think t*at used for git in Uk, no suprise that was gone from start.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

ERinVA wrote:I watched Billy Elliot on dvd again the other night and was a bit surprised to discover that there is actually very little swearing in the film. The F-word may only be used once or twice. Instead of that, in most cases, Gary Lewis as Jackie Elliot uses "frickin' ," as, for example, in the conversation with Billy about his doing ballet (bally). Mrs. Wilkinson, as played by Julie Walters, does not mention the "British f**king class system," and Billy does not react with anything like "f**king hell" when he first sees Michael in a dress. Instead, he asks, "Whose dress is that?" But I think he actually does say it later in the scene. Michael uses the word "sh*te" in the scene where Billy is entering the boxing hall. Grandma does not swear, and neither does George. Mr. Braithwate does tell Billy that he "looks like a right w**ker," and Debbie does offer to show Billy her "f*nny," but that's about it. The most profane dialogue belongs to Tony, and even he has relatively little swearing, although he does call Billy a "little tw*t" for having messed with his records. So if the movie can get by with very little swearing, which it does, I don't really see why the show can't do the same.
Actually the DVD version of the film was a cut down of the original theatrical release. This was done to get a PG-13 rating where the original one in theaters was given an R rating mostly due to the profanity (estimated 48 F-bombs according to this parent site: http://www.kids-in-mind.com/b/billy_elliot_2000.htm).
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

When I first saw the movie I was disturbed by the number of F-bombs, especially from dad. To me they were excessive and detracted from a great story. I had heard there was a cleaned up version of the movie, but wasn't sure which version was on the DVD. That is good news that the PG-13 version is on DVD. I might get it now.
:/
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Wait...they cleaned up the movie so it'd sell better on DVD...ok I officially take back any surprise that they'd not stand on principal on artistic changes :lol: :lol: :lol: And I'm hoping bluray is the original version. Actually I have no problem with both versions being out there...but it does blow to hell ALL the arguments in this thread that it's already been done lol.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

StevenKing wrote:Wait...they cleaned up the movie so it'd sell better on DVD...ok I officially take back any surprise that they'd not stand on principal on artistic changes :lol: :lol: :lol: And I'm hoping bluray is the original version. Actually I have no problem with both versions being out there...but it does blow to hell ALL the arguments in this thread that it's already been done lol.
Oh geeeeeezus, I'm so taken back by this. I loved the cinema release and loved the DVD (which I thought was R?). If it was changed from the movie theater version, then I've officially lost faith in the arts. I can understand them releasing a toned-down version as long as it's clear to all what they're watching so they can choose. I HATE hearing nonsense cursing that does nothing for a show/movie, but Billy's story is AUTHENTIC because of the cursing. (Not yelling with my caps, just stressing).

By the way, for those not familiar, PG-13 is the U.S. rating for movies okay for 13 and over, R is 17 or over. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_ratings for more info.

I have honestly become so irked by this thread--not because of the discussion, just the philosophical matter we're analyzing. I'm a tried and true Billy supporter and always will be, but I am against this kind of pandering. It really bugs me. The stage show like the film is an art piece and should not be re-painted to appease the masses. Removing the curses is like the Pope centuries ago who had all of the penises removed from statues in the Vatican. No one's forcing you to curse or preaching against your moral or religious beliefs. They're just expressing themselves with an authenticity appropriate to the town it takes place in. That's it.

Bloody hell. ;)
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I saw the film in the theater when it first came out. In fact, I was so taken with it that I saw it three times within the course of a couple of weeks. That, of course, was so long ago that I could not really tell you whether the language struck me as overly laden with cursing or not. I do remember that it was rated R.

I bought the VHS sometime after that and watched it numerous times before my player ate the tape. I still have it, so in looking at the case, I see that it carries an R rating for language. The DVD (referenced in my previous post) that I bought after the tape died and just watched the other night also carries the R rating for language clearly printed right on the disc itself. But as I have indicated, there isn't a whole lot of language to rate, so there is no telling what you will get if you buy a new DVD.
Ellen

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Humm...doing some research it seems the pg13 version is quite rare now...the r version should NOT be censored, the time I saw it on LOGO it was heavily censored( even minus mooning part, damn funny logo of all channels would censor that but I'm thinking that's just what they give basic cable channels). I don't remember the DVD being censored, and cutting out 48 $&@)'s is rather hilariously obvious so I'll need to watch it again to check...it's a burden but someone needs to do it :D

Return to “Broadway Archive”