New Billy for Broadway Myles Erlick

andrewcraig
Tony

New Billy for Broadway Myles Erlick

Post by andrewcraig »

http://www.insidehalton.com/what%27s%20 ... dway-bound

Young performer Broadway bound

Young performer Broadway bound. Burlington’s Myles Erlick, 12, says he can't believe he's heading to New York this month to reprise the title role in the stage musical Billy Elliot on Broadway. Erlick is closing out a successful Toronto run of the same show at the Canon Theatre this weekend. Joan Marcus - SPECIAL TO BURLINGTON POST
Related Stories

Young performer enjoying Toronto run of Billy Elliot Young performer enjoying Toronto run of Billy Elliot

Dennis Smith, That’s Entertainment: Myles Erlick is thrilled to be playing Billy Elliot in his own backyard...

Burlington’s ‘Billy’ is off to Broadway.

Myles Erlick’s dream of performing on the Great White Way has come true at the ripe old age of 12.

Since February, he has been one of four Billys in the Toronto production of the musical Billy Elliot.

And just as the curtain closes at the Canon Theatre this Saturday (Sept. 3) it opens in New York City on what will be the first day of school for most kids Erlick’s age.

“I still can’t believe I’m going to Broadway,” said Erlick. “I thought my mom was joking with me when she told me the people in New York had called.”

So far, Erlick has signed a six-month contract, the maximum for any young performer. But it can be renewed for another six months.

“A few weeks ago I was thinking about how to wind down from such as stellar year and two days later we got a call from New York,” said Erlick’s mom, Franci Nicassio. “It was a big surprise.”

Aside from heaps of talent, Erlick fits the casting criteria for the story about a striking coal miner’s son who fancies ballet more than boxing and has ambitions to get into the Royal Ballet School in London. He is between nine and 12 years old, no taller than 4-foot, 10-inches, has an unbroken voice and most of all, a love of dance.

More than 2,000 boys have auditioned for the role since 2006. Erlick is one of an elite 40 who have made it to the final cut in productions of the musical around the world. He performed in Chicago during the fall of 2010 before heading to Toronto in February.

But now, as the Toronto cast and creative team each head into different directions, it’s a bittersweet time for Erlick.

“He has the time of his life this past year working in Toronto,” said Nicassio.

“This was my first time being on stage (in a professional production) and it was nerve-wracking in a good way,” said Erlick who believes that nervousness is an asset because it means you care.

The experience in Toronto was full of excitement from meeting Elton John, who wrote the score for the play, on opening night. “He signed a Rocket Man album for me,” said Erlick.

Working alongside performers Erlick had previously only heard about, such as Kate Hennig who played Billy’s dance teacher Mrs. Wilkinson, was an unprecedented thrill.

And he’s so happy he will be reunited in the Big Apple with actor Patrick Mulvey, who played Billy’s older brother Tony in Toronto.

Branching out to Broadway could open a lot of doors for Erlick. There are some big names attached to Billy Elliot: the Musical. It is directed by Stephen Daldry, choreographed by Peter Darling and adapted for the stage by writer Lee Hall.

He’ll miss his family and friends while out of the country: brother Tyson, 13, and Kingsley 2, stepdad Ryan Marshall and all of his pals at the National Ballet School, where he attended in 2009, Canadian Martyrs Elementary, his previous school and Stars Academy, which is where he has been practising and competing his artistic talents since he was two years old.

But he’ll make the most of his time in Manhattan. High on the list is tickets to see his favourite actor, Daniel Radcliff of Harry Potter fame, in How to Succeed in Business.

With one dream achieved, Erlick dares to push for his next one to come true. Like his character Billy, he has ambitions to become a principal ballet dancer, maybe with the New York City troop or with The National Ballet of Canada.

“That would be awesome,” added Erlick.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Billy for Broadway Myles Erlick

Post by ERinVA »

This information has already been posted in Myles' thread, so I will lock this one. When Myles completes his Toronto run, then his thread will be moved to the Broadway section.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Broadway Archive”