Publicity for Madison, WI

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Publicity for Madison, WI

Post by porschesrule »

In anticipation of tour stops in Appleton, Madison and Milwaukee, the Wisconsin Gazette has this story about the show, featuring ensemble member C.M. Howard:

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/on-stag ... liott.html
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Publicity for Madison, WI

Post by porschesrule »

In anticipation of the show's tour stop in Madison, someone wearing a tutu threw out the first pitch at the Madison Mallards baseball game tonight -- as tweeted by the Overture Center Twitter:

https://twitter.com/OvertureCenter/stat ... 97/photo/1
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Disgrace. Are they trying to kill attendance at the show. Who would be attracted to attend the show after seeing this guy in the pink tutu?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I personally think that while it's a bit silly, it hardly warrants being called a "disgrace." And I seriously doubt that such advertising would "kill attendance at the show." The "Tutu Brigade" has existed as a publicity ploy since the beginning of the tour--in fact, since the beginning of the Broadway show--in various forms. In some cities, various city workers have worn them, and in others, there have been ticket contests involving the requirement to wear a tutu to be eligible for a selected block of tickets on offer at the Box Office, Los Angeles (or was it San Francisco?) being one example, I believe. The fact is that if TV stations and radio stations are going to work with the producers to promote the show, these kinds of "fun" approaches are seen as a way to generate interest. If they weren't effective as a way to get attention, I doubt they would continue to be used. What's more, I expect that if you looked at promotions for other touring shows in cities around the country, you would find equally silly promotions taking place for a number of them.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

I work with teen boys and girls every day, and it is my opinion that no self-respecting teen would be caught dead at Billy Elliot The Musical after seeing these men in tutu promotions; especially after their friends viewed this on television. These promotions destroy the street-cred of any kid who would attend the show. At a minimum, these promotions provide ammunition to the bullies who would pick on a "different" kid who openly attended a show about men who wear tutus.

But the "disgrace" part is because grown men in pink tutus have absolutely nothing to do with Billy Elliot The Musical. Promotions only have a few seconds to make an impression on the public, and to make up something that is not part of the show is to be deceptive.

BETM should have figured out by now that negative attention is not better than no attention. The promotions in Des Moines are great examples of positive promotions that show the greatness of the plot and the talent, intelligence and hard work of the kids in the show. They will be effective with young and old alike. Tutu promotions do none of that and discourage attendance.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I do agree that this sort of thing would be a turn-off to most teenage boys and adult men alike. I think it gives the impression that "Billy Elliot" is a "gay show," which ignores the main elements of the story (a boy who overcomes adversity to achieve his dreams, love and support from family and community, the British miners' strike, etc).

That being said, I agree with Ellen that I don't think it has a big effect on reducing ticket sales. Most people I've seen at the show over the years are adult couples who enjoy musical theater and are going to buy tickets, regardless of the show. I doubt that a very big percent of the ticket-buying public is even aware of promotions like this. I do think that it's a show that teenage boys should see, and the tutu brigade - like accessmenj mentions - wouldn't seem to do anything to encourage that.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Same event, which promotion is better.

At a baseball game, a man in a pink tutu throws out the first pitch.

At a baseball game, Billly sings the National Anthem.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

How about if they had Billy sing the National Anthem and the team mascot wear a tutu? Some big fuzzy chicken in a tutu could be fun. ;)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

Todd wrote:I do agree that this sort of thing would be a turn-off to most teenage boys and adult men alike. I think it gives the impression that "Billy Elliot" is a "gay show," which ignores the main elements of the story (a boy who overcomes adversity to achieve his dreams, love and support from family and community, the British miners' strike, etc).
More than that, one of the themes is that you can pursue your dreams without having to accept whatever stereotypes society has: "Just because I like ballet doesn't mean I'm a poof, you know."
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

ERinVA wrote:How about if they had Billy sing the National Anthem and the team mascot wear a tutu? Some big fuzzy chicken in a tutu could be fun. ;)

That would work, ERinVA. Everybody enjoys that kind of silliness and it does not imply that a fuzzy chicken in a tutu is part of Billy Elliot The Musical.

Return to “Publicity - US/CA Tour Archive”