NBC Announces that Peter Pan Will Be Aired Live in December

Chat about other shows here
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NBC Announces that Peter Pan Will Be Aired Live in December

Post by ERinVA »

There is a long tradition of a woman being cast as Peter. The role of Peter in the 1954 Tony-winning Broadway production was originated by Mary Martin, and I expect the vocal part for Peter was written specifically for a woman's voice. At that time, I am sure there was absolutely no thought of casting a boy in the role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pan_(1954_musical)
Peter Pan is a musical adaptation of J. M. Barrie's 1904 play Peter Pan and Barrie's own novelization of it, Peter and Wendy. The music is mostly by Mark "Moose" Charlap, with additional music by Jule Styne, and most of the lyrics were written by Carolyn Leigh, with additional lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green.
The original 1954 Broadway production, starring Mary Martin as Peter and Cyril Ritchard as Captain Hook, earned Tony Awards for both stars. It was followed by NBC telecasts of it in 1955, 1956, and 1960 with the same stars, plus several rebroadcasts of the 1960 telecast. The show has enjoyed several revivals onstage.
Further addressing the question of tradition, the wiki entry says this:
Several productions of Peter Pan were staged early in the 20th century, starting on Broadway in 1905 with a production starring Maude Adams. In a nod to the original play, and the pantomime tradition it derives from, the title role of Peter Pan in the musical is usually played by a woman, including Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan and Cathy Rigby, among others.[1]
So you see, even the original 1905 play by Barrie featured a woman as Peter as a kind of derivative of the pantomime tradition where the role of the Dame is always played by a man.

While we think it would be a great role for a Billy to play (and it would!) the revival of the Broadway production is bowing to the venerable tradition of the show in casting a woman as Peter.

I might add that Peter Pan is a popular production for community theatre, and there have been a couple of stagings of it locally this year in which Peter, as expected, was played by a woman or a girl.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Then, following the tenor of those traditions and of that logic, Billy or Michael can never, ever be played by girls/women acting as boys.

It would make a complete nonsense of 'Expressing Yourself', as well as the whole point of BETM. But I am certain that somewhere, sometime, it will be suggested, or attempted, if boys with sufficient training are not found.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

There is a difference: The story of Peter Pan could be told just as well (if not better) with an actor of the same age and gender as the character. But if Billy Elliot were told with a female Billy, that would completely destroy the story: The story says "boys can dance". Having a female play Billy would add to that "but only in fiction".
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

In my opinion, the tradition of casting a female in the role of Peter Pan effectively renders that character genderless. The film version of Peter Pan, starring Jeremy Sumpter, brought age and gender appropriate characteristics and tensions to the main characters of Peter Pan and Wendy.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The story of Peter Pan could actually be interpreted as Wendy's story. She is a girl on the brink of womanhood. There is more than a little suggestion that this is her fantasy, which helps her to work through the transition to the expected social norms of her day which require that soon she must enter society as a young woman who will find an eligible suitor, marry, and become a mother. Note that Captain Hook is traditionally played by the same actor who plays Mr. Darling. This is not by accident, in my opinion. Also note the symbolism of the ticking crocodile, who is always chasing Captain Hook and his crew. Time shows up whether you want it to or not. In the end, Wendy realizes that she can not stay in Neverland. She must return to reality and move on with the next phase of her life. Peter will never grow up, but she must.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:The story of Peter Pan could actually be interpreted as Wendy's story. She is a girl on the brink of womanhood. There is more than a little suggestion that this is her fantasy, which helps her to work through the transition to the expected social norms of her day which require that soon she must enter society as a young woman who will find an eligible suitor, marry, and become a mother. Note that Captain Hook is traditionally played by the same actor who plays Mr. Darling. This is not by accident, in my opinion. Also note the symbolism of the ticking crocodile, who is always chasing Captain Hook and his crew. Time shows up whether you want it to or not. In the end, Wendy realizes that she can not stay in Neverland. She must return to reality and move on with the next phase of her life. Peter will never grow up, but she must.
I agree, wholeheartedly.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Christian Borle has been signed to play the dual roles of Smee and Mr. Darling in NBC's Peter Pan Live this December. It's a departure from how it's been done in the past as the role of Mr. Darling has usually been played by the same actor who plays Captain Hook.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/peter-p ... r-darling/
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Post by debbiefan »

porschesrule wrote:Christian Borle has been signed to play the dual roles of Smee and Mr. Darling in NBC's Peter Pan Live this December. It's a departure from how it's been done in the past as the role of Mr. Darling has usually been played by the same actor who plays Captain Hook.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/peter-p ... r-darling/
I am wondering why they won't let him play Captain Hook instead I know they already cast someone in it but Christian did play a similar role to Captain Hook and was great.
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Allison Williams has begun flight training for Peter Pan Live. Here's a brief story about it with a video clip from People Magazine:

http://www.people.com/article/allison-w ... -peter-pan
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Post by debbiefan »

I got to see the show this past Thursday at my local theatre. I really did like it. I can see why directors cast mr. Darling and Captain Hook as same. Person because they mostly have same personality but smee and mr. Darling is way different, I believe Christian fits the role as smee the person that play smee in production I saw was funny, Christian is really funny so I believe casting him as that I can't wait for it. I told person that I went and saw it nbc was doing Peter Pan. We both agree we hope it's not ruin like sound of music.
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”