Los Angeles Reviews

1RadBilly
Tall Boy

Re: Los Angeles Reviews

Post by 1RadBilly »

I was in southern cal for a conference so stayed a couple of extra days to catch a few shows, saw Zach, Ty, and Kylend perform this weekend.

First up Zach. What a great performance from Zach, he is an incredibly talented amazing dancer. I like going to a show and seeing a kid who just seems to fit the role and this is how I felt with Zach onstage, he just seems like a natural up there. His Angry Dance was awesome and his Electricity was great too. The show flowed smoothly and everyone did a great job.

Next up Ty. Unfortunately I only got to see half a performance two weeks ago so I was keeping my fingers crossed tonight! Ty is absolutely AMAZING!! I am so grateful for this blog and everyone's reviews because it has opened me up to the idea of seeing the different Billy's perform. Ty is phenomenal, his Electricity is stunning, what an incredible dancer. Great overall performance. At the end of Born to Boogie Ty did not jump off the piano, instead he danced out from behind it. A first for me in a show, during Angry Dance they lost the mic on Ty's shoes while he was still dancing in his bedroom so the sound effect was gone for the rest of Angry Dance. Ty does a great job but what a difference with no sound from the shoes! I wish they would sell recordings of these shows cause I want to watch Ty again!

Last up Kylend. Once again an awesome performance from Kylend. I absolutely love watching him perform as Billy. So much talent in this kid. He always does a great job,I have probably seen him close to ten times between SF and LA and he never disappoints. Always delivers a great show and tonight was no different. The crowd absolutely loved Kylend tonight and gave him a very nice standing ovation. You are awesome Kylend!

Many thanks to Zach, Ty and Kylend you guys are so amazing!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your review. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

skkmercury wrote: Walking from the parking lot towards the front of the theatre, I looked up and saw a group of kids walking toward me. I didn’t think anything of it at first, but then two of the kids in the group suddenly looked familiar. They looked like JP and Ty. Sure enough, as they got closer, I had indeed identified them correctly. All looked to be in good health, good spirits and enjoying their anonymity. For the latter reason, I decided not to say anything to them or make a fuss about spotting “celebrities “.

I've been in your position before, and it's often a judgment call whether to say hi or not. Sometimes it's clearly a "no". I remember avoiding a burger place in DC when I saw Kylend and some of the ballet girls were inside. Not because I didn't want to at all, as I think Kylend is just made of awesome, but because it made me feel uncomfortable/nervous enough and didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. And other times, especially right after the show, it's fun to just stop them and tell them what a great job they did. I'm sure they appreciate it too. Remember to be brave when possible and let ALL of the cast and kids know it was a great show every time. The littlest ballet girls/small boys, and even the backgroundish ensemble members all deserve and enjoy being recognized, as they should be.

the girls to my right were whispering to each other constantly. They really were enjoying the show, but they found it necessary to talk amongst themselves despite the many dirty looks and hushes directed at them from nearby. I was so annoyed that at intermission I moved from the packed Orchestra section up to the Mezzanine where blocks of open seats could be found. I enjoyed the second act in peace, albeit from a less than desirable seat.

I had an experience like this at a show in NYC a couple of weeks ago. Sad when you feel like sitting or standing in the back would be better. Why do adults like that one guy you mentioned even go to shows? And why didn't the parent or adult guardian of these girls teach them better manners? I sat next to someone recently at another performance who checked his cell phone for messages at least 4 times. Why can't we all just enjoy the amazing entertainment in front of us instead? Go and enjoy or don't go at all.

those seated next to me were all very friendly and inquisitive after one lady asked me the question “so, have you seen this show before?” I smiled, and we began a very fun conversation that lasted right up to the start of the show. Intermission was even more fun when the conversation continued, and I heard about all of their glowing first impressions.

I always love that conversation. Has happened for me many times, as I'm sure it has for all of you. It can be fun.

Kylend’s performance was outstanding. ...Try stepping onto one chair and doing a one-armed cart-wheel off an adjacent chair. No, don’t try it. It’s incredibly difficult and dangerous. It seems like it’s effortless for Kylend though.

Like Ben Cook, Kylend is one of the Broadway Billy company's proudest sons. So, so happy for him that his hard work and patience have paid off so well! What an amazing kid!
Thank you for your reviews!
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

1RadBilly wrote: First up Zach. What a great performance from Zach, he is an incredibly talented amazing dancer. I like going to a show and seeing a kid who just seems to fit the role and this is how I felt with Zach onstage, he just seems like a natural up there. His Angry Dance was awesome and his Electricity was great too. The show flowed smoothly and everyone did a great job.
Haven't seen Zach yet, but hope to this summer. Have heard how wonderful he is, and I'm sure it'll be a treat. Way to go Zach, for being such an asset to the Billy Tour!!!!!!

Thanks for the reviews!
skkmercury
Small Boy

Post by skkmercury »

Saw the show two more times:

Sun Mat., 5/6/2012 – JP/Cameron/Jacob
Sun Eve., 5/6/2012 – Kylend/Jacob/Cameron

These were my 12th and 13th shows of the L.A. run. What more can I say about the cast? JP and Kylend and Company were all terrific….. as usual. Everyone received loud, long, thunderous applause at curtain call. When the curtain rose a final time at each performance to find the actor playing Billy standing alone in the middle of the stage, there were extra loud and boisterous ovations which made for really special moments . I have been elated with how well-received these shows have been and how responsive the audiences have been.

While leaving the theatre after the matinee, I overheard a man telling a women (who I assume was his wife) that he couldn’t remember a play he enjoyed more than this one. They spoke about many of the things they liked and of how incredible the performers were. One item I found particularly interesting was a comment about how good the accent was delivered by the actor who played the Scottish Dancer. I had to chuckle in appreciation because of how many little details like this one help to make the show so awesome and that it’s not often enough these actors get the recognition they deserve.

After the evening performance, my Sister (this was her first Billy experience) told me that she absolutely loved the show and that it exceeded her already high expectations. She included in her comments that the scene with Billy and his older self was miraculous. She couldn’t believe how in sync the two dancers were and that they seemed to be one person, despite their obvious differences in age and size. She had just watched the movie of Billy Elliot, for the first time, the night before. She commented that since the movie had ended with older Billy, the dream ballet sequence had her looking forward to more dancing from older Billy at the end of the show. Of course, that wasn’t going to happen. The way the show actually ends is truly the perfect ending, but based on all of the comments I heard yesterday about Older Billy/Scottish Dancer, I wanted to give a big shout out to the very talented Maximilien Baud!

The more I experience this show, the more I find to appreciate. It’s sad that we will have the show here in L.A. for only one week more. It’s a shame (for me) that I had previously scheduled a trip to St. Louis, MO during this same week. What a dunce I am. Had I scheduled for some other week, I could’ve squeezed in more shows here, even though the ol’ pocketbook is screaming “enough already”. I am looking forward to my St. Louis trip because I’ll be seeing “Memphis” at the Fabulous Fox Theatre, where the revised edition of BETM had been launched back in November. I’ll return to L.A. just in time to celebrate Mother’s Day with one final Billy performance!
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

skkmercury wrote: While leaving the theatre after the matinee, I overheard a man telling a women (who I assume was his wife) that he couldn’t remember a play he enjoyed more than this one. They spoke about many of the things they liked and of how incredible the performers were. One item I found particularly interesting was a comment about how good the accent was delivered by the actor who played the Scottish Dancer. I had to chuckle in appreciation because of how many little details like this one help to make the show so awesome and that it’s not often enough these actors get the recognition they deserve.

After the evening performance, my Sister (this was her first Billy experience) told me that she absolutely loved the show and that it exceeded her already high expectations. She included in her comments that the scene with Billy and his older self was miraculous. She couldn’t believe how in sync the two dancers were and that they seemed to be one person, despite their obvious differences in age and size. She had just watched the movie of Billy Elliot, for the first time, the night before. She commented that since the movie had ended with older Billy, the dream ballet sequence had her looking forward to more dancing from older Billy at the end of the show. Of course, that wasn’t going to happen. The way the show actually ends is truly the perfect ending, but based on all of the comments I heard yesterday about Older Billy/Scottish Dancer, I wanted to give a big shout out to the very talented Maximilien Baud!
Max is indeed a very talented performer, and has been an amazing asset to the tour since its start in Durham over a year and a half ago. I've enjoyed his performance every time I've seen the touring production.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
mxmx
Small Boy

Post by mxmx »

Tuesday 5/8

Kylend once again turned on the waterworks for both "Letter" scenes. Amazing as always. Teensy little foot slip at the very end of "Electricity" but it seemed to make the audience go even crazier with applause. Ty played TB/PB. Was it for the first time? Kylend struggled to keep a straight face when Ty came on as Posh Boy. Tessa Netting was in the audience. Also... Kurt Russell!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

mxmx wrote:Ty played TB/PB. Was it for the first time?
No it wasn't. All four of the Billys used to regularly rotate in the role of TB/PB before they began having the off duty Michaels rotate the role. Ty (and all the Billys) have done that role many times. See the Tour Tracking thread.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

A year is a long time to be away from Billy Elliot. After an unsuccessful attempt at seeing the show in Orlando last February I finally caught this outstanding production at the Pantages in Hollywood,CA on May 8th and 9th.

The theater is visually stunning with walls and ceiling throughout putting on an artistic show of its own. I walked around in awe with the beauty this palace puts forth at every turn. It's only appropriate to have the "musical of the decade" playing here. The main floor seating was full except the side back six rows each night. The two-tiered balcony was empty. I hope they fill the place on the final weekend for a big sendoff.

Best quote heard from an audience member: “When I leave a theater performance this is how I want to feel.”

Both nights the production lived up to my expectations. Instead of describing each night, here are some thoughts on the cast members who impacted me the most:

After seeing the board for Tuesday I was thrilled to see Kylend and Jacob on as Billy and Michael (also another Billy, Ty, on as Tall/posh boy- a first for me). A year ago I had seen the pair in Denver so it was going to be interesting to see how they matured into the roles.

Kylend: My third time seeing Kylend and the ultimate compliment I can give him is “Kylend is Billy Elliot.” He is so comfortable with the role and a slight grin at key moments helped confirm this observation. He sings his solos effortlessly and soaked up the audience applause for a full minute after Electricity. Kylend is having the time of his life on stage and his acting has gone into another stratosphere the last year. His dancing in all parts was fantastic including a perfect jump rope sequence and a flip off the piano. His Angry Dance reminded me a bit of Trent K., the original master of this first act closer. If there were ever a perfect Billy, Kylend would be one of the leading candidates. Keep up the great work Kylend and never forget what your mom and dad have sacrificed to make this all happen.

Zach Manske – If the only face you watched was Zach’s throughout the whole two acts you would see a range of emotions most acting experts find challenging. Zach displays each with perfect timing: angry, sad, bewildered, confused, happy, silly, anxious, scared, and proud. Watching Zach dance is like seeing a spinning top for the first time, it's rather mesmerizing. His spins are lightning fast and nothing short of perfection. He received thunderous applause after Electricity and a smile was also on Rich Hebert’s face (Dad). The gift Zach has is the ability to carry off any type of dance like it’s his own creation. Beautiful to watch. Zach is still in the early stages of his Billy time compared to the other Billy’s and it will be a joy to watch him continue his maturity into the role. I hope to be lucky enough to catch him again.

Rich Hebert: What a beautiful voice and one night he received applause for his “Deep in the Ground.” Much like I felt about Greg Jbarra, Rich has become Jackie Elliot and knows the role so well now. Comparing him to a year ago he has only gotten better especially with his nonverbal movements. His walk and the way he uses his body to express emotion is a whole other acting gem.

Thad Turner Wilson came on as Mr. Braithwaite and what a great job he did both nights. His telling of where dance came from before “Born to Boogie” is the clearest and most well annunciated version I had heard in a long time. He does some surprising acrobatics during the number too. I found his facial expressions perfect for the role and the audience connected with him easily. It’s the mark of a great performer to make a secondary role so memorable to all of us watching.

Cameron and Jacob make a perfect pair of Michaels. You will love either one you happen to experience. Both their expressions are enough to get the audience in stitches. This was my first time seeing Cameron and he is hilarious to watch. He has these wild looking striped socks that don’t go together at all with his burgundy shorts and by the time his tutu gets on he has milked it for every available laugh. His exit had the audience applauding. I had seen Jacob a year ago several times and since then Jacob has taken full command. He lets out a high-pitched scream before the nutcracker line that had the audience’s laughable reaction before the punch line. What a superb actor Jacob is developing into. It will be fun following what role he gets into next after soon completing his stellar work here.

Joel Blum: The perfect ham and when I think of “George” Joel’s depiction always comes to me first. He still does the hat trick at the beginning of act 2. It worked the first night but failed slightly the second night earning him a “Loser” symbol from small boy. Joel has added a lot of inflection in the delivery of his lines. He sometimes delivers part of a sentence in a higher pitch giving it much more emphasis. I’m glad they dropped the “I’d break his legs” line as I never thought it was true to his character.

I liked having the ballet girls and posh boy watching Billy’s audition as it added to the staging of the scene. The curtain worked okay for the royal ballet scene but I prefer the Broadway version and even the backstage door version from the first tour was better. The only true disappointment for me is I missed the full blown dancing dresses. These mannequin style dresses are spooky with the heads looking like some sort of a gas mask protruding. Thankfully, just a minor distraction from the overall spectacular production. Those looking forward to seeing the tour at one of its summer spots will not be disappointed. My calendar is already open as I try to find my next viewing!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for a very enjoyable read, gpcolo. Glad you got the chance to see two performances in L.A.

The following reviewer seems to have liked the show as well, but the review rambles all over the place without a very clear organization. http://alittlenightmusing.wordpress.com ... -clifford/
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”